Menu

Would YOU give 1/2 credit for LoF Economics?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: since prealgebra is not a high school level course, but typically taken in middle school, could the economics part of it even be high school level since the book would be geared towards a younger audience??

Edited by regentrude

I would not. We have used the LOF pre-algebra biology course. While it was a nice approach for math, I can't imagine it would warrant any credit in the science department. Unless the economics book is vastly different I would feel the same. I do think the author states it differently, but .5 credit amounts to 50-75 hours of work in that subject.

If she did that amount of time I might give credit for the MATH, but not the economics. I would only award credit for math if that is where her working level was at, pre-algebra, not if it was done as a fun aside in addition to a regular math text.

I don't think it is long or thorough enough to be considered high school level work. My son completed that book in a school year. I scheduled the book for once per week for about 45 mins at most. That is a generous estimate of 28.5 hours.

If you put it on a book list/transcript and a college admissions person checks it out, they would see the book is recommended for grades 6-8.

Our dc are doing a separate economics course, but did do LoF Pre-Algebra 2 with economics. Would YOU give credit for this book if you didn't do a separate Econ. course?

My 8th grade ds used both Fred pre-algebra books this year before moving into algebra. I did not consider the economics portion of LoF to be high school worthy, and even if I did, there was not enough content to call it even .25 credit. I'm not super picky on number of hours to constitute a course, but this fell way below the bar, imo.