Menu

Well, it looks like I'm a box checker...

4maybabies

A lot more of a box checker than I thought I was:)

I'm using Memoria Press for my K and 1st grader and LOVING them.

I'm not quite sold on it for my soon to be 3rd grader though...

So, what are your favorite 'box checking' curriculums for 3rd grade???

I've discovered I'm more of a box checker than I thought too. However, I'm also a picky tweaker at times, so I mostly make my own schedule that looks a bit like Memoria Press's, though not exactly. It takes work, but gives me curricular control and boxes to check.

What don't you like about MP's third grade?

I think I'm a box checker too! I'm finally admitting it and embracing it! :lol:

I'm hoping to use Memoria K.

For my third grader, I'm thinking about combining the Memoria 3rd Grade Pkg. and Sonlight Core D. I'd take out the Christian Studies, Greek Myths, and Math (we use diff. program) from Memoria and let Sonlight be my bible, history, fun readers, and read-alouds.

Anyway, Sonlight might be a good program for a box-checker and I hope I'm not crazy for trying to combine it with Memoria! Hmmm...maybe I'm crazy?

Another one is Heart of Dakota. I haven't used it, so I can't give an opinion, but I think it schedules in math, grammar, science, history, reading, etc.

I'll be :bigear:

I've discovered I'm more of a box checker than I thought too. However, I'm also a picky tweaker at times, so I mostly make my own schedule that looks a bit like Memoria Press's, though not exactly. It takes work, but gives me curricular control and boxes to check.

What don't you like about MP's third grade?

You weren't supposed to ask that;) I honestly can't put my finger on it. I know I would switch math out, as we use CLE. I will probably order the lesson plans for 3rd...and maybe go from there??? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order it all...but then I am afraid that all 3 grades might be too much?? Oh geez, now I am confusing myself...

For my third grader, I'm thinking about combining the Memoria 3rd Grade Pkg. and Sonlight Core D. I'd take out the Christian Studies, Greek Myths, and Math (we use diff. program) from Memoria and let Sonlight be my bible, history, fun readers, and read-alouds.

Hmmm, I have Sonlight Core B that I was thinking about using....maybe that will work to just blend it in....

I'm just now having to admit that I'm a box checker as well. I really did not want to be and tried to fight it for the first 2 years of homeschooling...lol! I am totally embracing it going into this 3rd year. We are using Heart of Dakota and loving every minute of it and checking off every box as we go. Oh well!!

:iagree:

This is me, without the Memoria Press part (haven't used it) LOL! I don't necessarily need the curriculum to say (do a today, b tomorrow etc...) and in fact sometimes dislike curricula that go to that much detail. I really like curricula that are flexible enough to be tweaked, allow for an occasional rabbit trail, and can still be completed easily in 180 days. I really don't *want* 180 days scheduled for me...I want curriculum that sets me up to succeed but allows me a bit of flexibility. And I make my own planner to satisfy my box-checking needs!

Merry :-)

I really don't *want* 180 days scheduled for me...I want curriculum that sets me up to succeed but allows me a bit of flexibility. And I make my own planner to satisfy my box-checking needs!

Merry :-)

:iagree: I think all curricula should be designed with about 160 days or so of material, loosely outlined. Enough structure that I don't have to spend lots of time planning, but flexible enough I don't become a slave to the curriculum and feel guilty when there's only two weeks left of school but five weeks left of curriculum :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I think all curricula should be designed with about 160 days or so of material, loosely outlined. Enough structure that I don't have to spend lots of time planning, but flexible enough I don't become a slave to the curriculum and feel guilty when there's only two weeks left of school but five weeks left of curriculum :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Exactly!!

I have a quick question about first grade before I order the TM. What is used for recitation? I would only want the TM for that I am tweaking everything else... except storytime treasures.

The recitation is in the appendix of the lesson plans or at least it is in the 3rd grade plans.

Box-checker here, too! Also a tweaker, like oraetstudia. I love having a curriculum outline, but I use it as more of a "suggestion," checking off what I WANT to and crossing out the rest! :)

Would love to hear more curricula suggestions for box-checkers!

A lot more of a box checker than I thought I was:)

I'm using Memoria Press for my K and 1st grader and LOVING them.

I'm not quite sold on it for my soon to be 3rd grader though...

So, what are your favorite 'box checking' curriculums for 3rd grade???

I'm planning to use some of MP's 3rd grade plans for my 4th grader, i'll be using a different math and will probably be doing more than just the Greek history. I'm not sure if we're going to use the lit. or not, we read Farmer Boy this year.