Menu

Please take a look at my freshman year

My first high school student next fall and I am stressed!:banghead:

Here is what I have for him so far. What are your thoughts.

English 9: Lightning Literature and Composition

Science: Apologia Biology

Math: Saxon Geometry

History:BJU World History

Logic:The art of Argument/The Discovery of Deduction (1st logic class)

Spanish: Possible BJU Spanish I

Debate Class (Co-op)

Toastmasters Class (Co-op)

PE: Football, basketball, golf

I hope more join this post...it would help me a great deal, confidence-wise, to read what other parents/students are doing.

Here's what I have planned for my ds for 9th grade:

English 9 - Literature & Composition

(will include English from the Roots Up or Vocab From Classical Roots, Writing Strands/Elegant Essay or an online writing class, GWG, British Lit from Lightning Lit)

Saxon Geometry (co-op)

US History (co-op)

World Geography (Holt and MTWBH)

Chemistry

Spanish (Rosetta Stone)

Computer Science

Logic (The Art of Argument/Discovery of Deduction)

Swimming and Choir

I understand about the Saxon Geometry but it's what our co-op teaches and we feel a year of geometry, separate, will be good for our ds.

My dh started our ds on logic last year but only got into it a couple weeks and stopped. He may have been frustrated, or a lack of time... :confused: It's important, so we're continuing.

Any thoughts on our plan?

Thanks!

Debate Class (Co-op)

I think your plan sounds great! My DD will be a 9th grader and this is our plan for her for next year:

Math: Algebra I using either MUS or LOF Beginning Algebra

History: BF Books US and World parts I&II for an American History credit

Foreign Language: German I through Oklahoma State University online

English: She's going to take BraveWriter's Kidswrite Intermediate class this summer so in the fall she will take their Expository Essay class while reading various books from SL's Core 100 & 200. But, I am on the fence about doing that or enrolling her in an online English class for 9th grade. Either way, she would still take the Expository Essay class.

Electives: She will be taking an online class, "Health Opportunities through Physical Education" for one credit and an online "Digital Arts 1" for a half credit.

That gives her a total of 6.5 credits for the year (my goal is 6.5 credits a year. Our local high school requires 26 credits for graduation and I want her to be inline with that so as to compete with the PS graduating class). She also plans on playing soccer and basketball and joining the track team at our local public HS. And, she will be working on scent training with our German shepherd puppy.

She's going to be rather busy!

I'm curious about the Saxon geometry. Did your dc do Saxon Algebra 1 last year? The reason I ask is because the geometry is wrapped into the other Saxon courses.

Yes, we have completed Saxon Algebra I last year. We just feel that a complete year of Geometry will be good for us. Also our local private school requires Geometry in the ninth grade year.

Debate Class (Co-op)

Will BJU Spanish be a co-op or group class? If so, lucky you! If not, you might want to consider Rosetta Stone.

Just my .02 cents.

My daughter will be 9th grade next year too. My last one . . .:D

I hope more join this post...it would help me a great deal, confidence-wise, to read what other parents/students are doing.

Here's what I have planned for my ds for 9th grade:

English 9 - Literature & Composition

(will include English from the Roots Up or Vocab From Classical Roots, Writing Strands/Elegant Essay or an online writing class, GWG, British Lit from Lightning Lit)

Saxon Geometry (co-op)

US History (co-op)

World Geography (Holt and MTWBH)

Chemistry

Spanish (Rosetta Stone)

Computer Science

Logic (The Art of Argument/Discovery of Deduction)

Swimming and Choir

I understand about the Saxon Geometry but it's what our co-op teaches and we feel a year of geometry, separate, will be good for our ds.

My dh started our ds on logic last year but only got into it a couple weeks and stopped. He may have been frustrated, or a lack of time... :confused: It's important, so we're continuing.

Any thoughts on our plan?

Your plan looks good too! If you're assigning half a credit each for logic and computer science, you may want to block them just to give fewer courses to handle at once. Since logic didn't get finished last time, I'd put that into the first semester, and when completed, he'd have the reward of getting to move onto computer science. Might help motivate him to finish early. :)

I think it looks great, Pam :) What are you using for chemistry?

Hey there!!

Thanks for looking at it! We now may be changing Chemistry to Biology. A family we know through scouts and hsing (the dad) is a physicist (or something along those lines) and is offering a Chemistry class through SHARE. We thought at first we'd sign John up but now are having second thoughts. John is more comfortable with Bio and wants to wait until he has another year of math under his belt before having Chemistry.

How are you? How is the family? :001_smile:

Your plan looks good too! If you're assigning half a credit each for logic and computer science' date=' you may want to block them just to give fewer courses to handle at once. Since logic didn't get finished last time, I'd put that into the first semester, and when completed, he'd have the reward of getting to move onto computer science. Might help motivate him to finish early. :)[/quote']

Good suggestion...thanks!

My only question is about the Geometry. And it's mostly just a question to ask the coop.

Saxon did come out with new editions of the books that pulled Geometry into a separate book. But they are also still selling the edition with embedded geometry.

So you could either do older edition: Algebra 1 (3rd edition), Algebra 2 (3rd edition), Advanced Math (2nd Edition)

or

The newer books: Algebra 1 (4th edition), Geometry (1st edition), Algebra 2 (4th edition), Advanced Math (2nd Edition).

My concerns if I were doing Geometry with the coop would be a) are they doing a full credit's worth of math and b) how will it impact other years? For example, will you want to skip geometry lessons if you do Algebra 2 from a 3rd edition book? What was added to Algebra 1 (4th ed) to fill the place of the geometry moved to the new book? Will there be concepts that are assumed covered that you son didn't see if you used the 3rd edition Algebra 1.

None of this is to dissuade you from doing Geometry. It's just to give a heads up on how it might have an effect on later years' math.

• 1 month later...

Debate Class (Co-op)

It looks like a great Freshman year. The logic and the co-op Speech and Debate should go well together.

Dd is also starting her 1st high school year. I wonder if your stress is like mine. I am comfortable with the materials, content and expectations. I am not all at ease about whether she will rise to the occassion :001_unsure:. Age/stage may be the hardest challenge in the plan.