Menu

ASD Rollcall

I have a 15yo son who I consider to be 2e. Not officially diagnosed, but obviously gifted in many ways and noted by many people, with lots of Aspie/ADHD/SPD-ish quirks, plus difficulty with visual processing and fine motor skills. He could well have NVLD also. I'm sure he'd be diagnosed as some NOS mishmash LOL. He's getting there, though. I started him on high EPA omegas and Vit d this year with good results, but we still have real struggles.

My son (now 8) was dx'd pdd-nos at 3 years old. I was told he would probably be dx'd as Aspergers when he was old enough to be evaluated for it.

In actuality I think he fits the pdd-nos diagnosis as it stands now. He may really fall under NVLD best. I've not yet found it necessary to re-evaluate.

Because my son has such a weird profile I really worry we'll lose his diagnosis when they change the criteria. It's a big concern. He has strengths in some areas very unusual in spectrum kids--especially boys. While he's over-all mildly affected he has some key areas with very low functioning which, so far, we haven't been able to improve. At this point I'm not at all sure my son will be independently functioning. At the very least he's going to need an awful lot of support I think. Of course things could change. Beyond that insurance in our state has to cover therapy with a spectrum diagnosis. Anyway, I'm concerned about the changes and how they might leave kids with significant struggles and who really require support without any resources.

Edited by sbgrace

• 2 weeks later...

My 10yo ds was diagnosed with SPD and ADHD combined at age 6. At 9 he was re-evaluated and diagnosed with PDD-NOS... the SPD and ADHD still apply. He has severe SPD, very verbal but misses the social stuff, with attention, working memory and processing issues.

I have a 12yo ds who is HG with ADD and mild SPD, a 7yo ds and a 5yo dd who have mild SPD

Ds 6 has Asperger's. He was diagnosed ~1.5 years ago by a team consisting of a developmental pediatrician, speech pathologist, child psychiatrist, and an educational evaluator. He has some speech issues (mainly with articulation), a multitude of sensory issues, and then the overall diagnosis which "officially" placed him somewhere between high-functioning autistic and Asperger's.

We are just waiting for the official report to come in for DD 7. I took her to a neuropsychologist for a complete evaluation. Her only official diagnosis so far is SPD. She is more than likely GAD and ADHD according to her counselor. DD was adopted from China at 14 months and has developmental delays but is catching up slowly. I am a bundle of nerves waiting for the report. Hoping to find out in less than 2 weeks.

Susie

DD(7)

My 19yo and 16yo are both diagnosed Asperger's.

I was hoping that it wasn't when my middle dd was a toddler and knew that it was Asperger's by the time she was 5yo, although she wasn't formally diagnosed until 15yo.

My 19yo looked much more like ADD than Asperger's and ADD is what she was originally diagnosed with. At 18yo, she was diagnosed Asperger's and ADD, but I'd been pretty sure that she was Aspie for about one year prior to her diagnosis. At 19yo her diagnosis was changed to Asperger's and OCD.