Menu

Fun things to do in the Atlanta area?

My inlaws live in Conyers, GA which is just east of Atlanta. We visit them a couple times a year and we try to do some activities in the area. So far we've gone to the aquarium, to the zoo, and to the World of Coca Cola. We're going to meet up with some old friends of our who live north of Atlanta and I'd like to meet them somewhere kind of in between, which the halfway point is really in the city of Atlanta. But we're open to something in the eastern to northern area of Atlanta area. Does anyone have some suggestions for things to do in the area that maybe we haven't done before? Any parks? Any children's museums?

Thank you!

Thank you! We've thought about Stone Mountain. We might do that on our own. It's a little farther from our friends who are north of Atlanta, but if they're willing to drive there we might meet up there. I didn't know about the children's museum, so thank you for that too! That does look like a lot of fun. :)

Your kids will love Fernbank - there's a nifty kids room. We were slightly disappointed by the children's museum, but I think it was just that I had the expectation that, as it was in a big city, it would be pretty large and it's actually not huge. The kids had a great time though, and yours are the right age for it, so they'd love it, I'm sure.

We also go through Atlanta periodically for family visits so I like threads like this with more ideas...

Your kids will love Fernbank - there's a nifty kids room. We were slightly disappointed by the children's museum, but I think it was just that I had the expectation that, as it was in a big city, it would be pretty large and it's actually not huge. The kids had a great time though, and yours are the right age for it, so they'd love it, I'm sure.

We also go through Atlanta periodically for family visits so I like threads like this with more ideas...

Although we live only an hour and half from Atlanta, we just visited the Fernbank Museum for the first time last month. It was very impressive. There are lots of hands-on things to do. We didn't do the film, but there is an IMAX theatre there as well.

Centennial Park near the aquarium has some very nice playground and picnic areas too.

We love Red Top Mountain State Park. It has a couple of good trails and some summer activities. The iron pour is fun if you've never been but they just had one a couple weeks ago and the next one isn't until Nov. They also have live bluegrass music during the summer--bring your bug spray, though! Cartersville has a couple other interesting sites: Etowah Indian Mounds and the Booth Western Art Museum. They used to have a nighttime tour of the mounds--don't know if they still do, but it's pretty good, informative.

These sites might not be as fun for littles; maybe something to keep in mind for upcoming years, though.