Menu

Excellence in Literature ?

Would ds need a remedial course before doing EIL; namely Windows to the World or Teaching the Classics? Windows to the World has such a focus on Literary Analysis that I don't think enough novels are covered, but I still would not want to set of ds to fail.

Also, if I went with EIL, would adding Fairviews Guide to Composition, which requires 6-8 essays for the year, be too much?

This work would be on top of Easy Grammar Plus and Word Within the Word.:001_huh:

So, what do you think. Share your wisdom Experienced Hive.:bigear:

I combined EIL and WttW this year, using EIL mainly as a resource for myself. We substituted out some of the essay topics in WttW, doing them on our books from EIL instead of on the short stories. We also added variety to the WttW asignments by throwing in some of the EIL comp.

Between the two books, we kept really busy.

Would ds need a remedial course before doing EIL; namely Windows to the World or Teaching the Classics? Windows to the World has such a focus on Literary Analysis that I don't think enough novels are covered, but I still would not want to set of ds to fail.

Also, if I went with EIL, would adding Fairviews Guide to Composition, which requires 6-8 essays for the year, be too much?

This work would be on top of Easy Grammar Plus and Word Within the Word.:001_huh:

So, what do you think. Share your wisdom Experienced Hive.:bigear:

There is a syllabus from Jill Pike that coordinates Teaching The Classics, Windows to the World and To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre and Hamlet. I think there are about 32 lessons (probably could be done as a year or a semester course).

You could also start in after the Teaching the Classics lessons and have about 16 lessons to do.

You can find the syllabus for sale on the IEW site.

Ok, I'll just say this and show I'm a fool. I don't see that you *need* to do something before the EiL stuff, at least not if you're talking about the same stuff I bought from Janice Campbell at the convention last month. It's straightforward, written to the student, and she indicated no prerequisities.

Ok, I'll just say this and show I'm a fool. I don't see that you *need* to do something before the EiL stuff, at least not if you're talking about the same stuff I bought from Janice Campbell at the convention last month. It's straightforward, written to the student, and she indicated no prerequisities.

I agree :)

I haven't flipped through the EiL Intro to Literature, but you are probably right. It might depend on how much the student has done lit crit and/or writing about lit.

For some reason, I keyed in on the part of the OP that referred to TTC and WttW instead of reading the whole question.

I enjoyed chatting with Janice Campbell too. I didn't get the impression that she was at all opposed to using WttW as an intro or alongside.

This is what I was hoping for. WttW and EiL have such different methods of studying literature, I'm sure ds would prefer EiL's approach. I guess we'll do EiL.:thumbup:

:iagree: - This is my impression also.

:iagree:

I haven't done it yet. I have bought it to use next year, have looked through it thoroughly and even scheduled it already. I think it looks great with no prerequisites. I think my ds would hate WTTW, but I'm hoping he likes EIL. I think it is a great decision - after all, I made the same one :)