Menu

When using a consumable...

I think it will depend on the family, child and curriculum. We do work boxes with my daughter, so we tore out her Horizons math and ETC pages. It helps her to see exactly how much I expect her to complete in one setting. I have heard that there are some books where you might refer back to previous work, so you would have to keep the completed pages. It is nice not having to struggle to keep a book open as when we first started with these subjects and didn't tear out the pages. We have liked having the removing the pages so much that if we encounter a book where we need to refer back to previous work, then I would probably still remove the pages and put them into a binder when she's done. For now, I'm just putting her finished papers in a basket and I'll get rid of them later. This is just me, but if I'm going to get rid of them, then I'll wait a little while and then throw them away when the child won't see them in the trash.

Depends. For math, yes, we tear out the pages since we don't use all of them. They go in a 1/2 in binder that then gets weeded through at the end of the year, saving samples from the beginning, middle, end, and the page that shows scope/sequence of the curriculum.

For workbooks where we use every page, they stay in the book and at the end of the year the book is shelved.

I noticed that if I tore the pages out of the math book, my oldest felt less pressure than if I gave her the book, turned to the page. So that's what we do. I put their work in a huge notebook with dividers for each subject, but with a score/summary sheet on the top. Eventually I'll be able to throw away the work pages & just keep the score sheet.

I usually leave them in the workbook, but I might cut the spine off and put a Proclick spine on it, so it's easier to open to the right page.

I chunk the workbook when we're done. My state doesn't require any records or anything, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to see my child's used math workbook. :)

If the workbook is not cumbersome (CLE), I just leave the pages in. If it's something big like WWE, I have the binding cut off and 3 hole punch or spiral bind the student pages.

At the end of the year, we keep everything as a "cover your back" move. We just keep the most recent year's material. So I need to get rid of Becca's K-2nd grade work. :glare:

I keep the pages in the workbooks. We have a lot of consumables. I even use the Singapore Math textbook as consumable (gasp!). Right now, I have a banker box that is labeled with my girls' grade levels and I put the workbooks and various projects, crafts, etc in those boxes. I keep workbooks so we can show that they have completed these programs.

I don't give a big ol' workbook--or even a small one, lol--to dc to work in, because of how they have to turn their hands to write in them. My right-handed dd developed a lefty hook from writing in workbooks.

So I take workbooks to FedEx/Kinko's and have the spine cut off and the book drilled for three holes, and put them in three-ring notebooks. Yes, even if the pages are perforated. I take out a page for dc to work on, and put it back in the notebooks the notebook.

It's much easier to work on a piece of paper lying flat on a surface than to wrestle down a workbook. :)

I would check to see what your state's regulations are.

We only have to keep a portfolio which is described as 2-3 examples of the child's work at different times of the year in each subject to show progress. Based on that I will only keep a few pages from each workbook. I will even tear their spelling work out of their composition books and then get rid of the book.

I would rather not be faced with many workbooks to discard in the future. For me, the real proof is in my children's head. I did think about keeping all of one year's work "just in case" but our state doesn't require us to do so so I would rather not. I like using filexec presentation books for the portfolio as opposed to three ring binders because they take up so much less room and the papers won't be accidentally torn out. We only have to keep the portfolio for two years but I think I will keep them for much longer so that our children can see their progress since they take up such little space. In front of each book I do put our list of workbooks completed, etc.

I leave the pages in the workbook. I write the date that page was done at the top. I keep the workbooks along with the 3-ring binders of loose work for that academic year. If we are ever investigated, I want to have the completed work. In IL in an investigation, the burden is on the family to prove that an equivalent education is being provided, and what is enough is not defined - the person doing the investigation gets to decide. So I keep everything. When a workbook is too thick to write in easily, or the texture of the paper is a problem, or it is reproducible and I want to re-use it, I scan and print a copy of the pages instead. Those completed pages go in the 3-ring binder.