Menu

Need help identifying a leaf.

It is perfectly, symetrically heart shaped. It has serated edges with a prominant point sticking out on each side approximately 2/3rds of the way down from the stem, completely green including stem. There is a very slight soft silvery down on the back. It has no smell. The front surface of the leaf is not waxy. We live in TN and it came from a tree in someone's lawn, no idea if it is native or imported. It looks very much like the linden that comes from Europe but the books we have says that it is a rare tree and does not grow in America. We have found a few other heart shaped leafs with serated edges but none of them have the two prominent points. We are not sure if that is characteristic of the leaf or an individual variation. Given the perfect symetry, I am guessing it is characteristic. Any ideas?

Try doing a search using the specific terms for each charateristic. Here's a guide I found, but some of the images didn't load for me:

http://www.clemson.edu/extfor/publications/bul117/characteristics.htm

Once you have a list of characteristics, especially the ones that seem most unique then do the search and maybe it will pull up more techincal identification guides.

I wonder if it's a mulberry. One of the defining features is that the leaves are all different. Looking at mine, there are spade shaped, heart shaped, mitten shaped, tri-lobed and rounded, like a lily pad. The only thing they have in common, other than all being on the same tree, is the serrated edges.

I wonder if it's a mulberry. One of the defining features is that the leaves are all different. Looking at mine, there are spade shaped, heart shaped, mitten shaped, tri-lobed and rounded, like a lily pad. The only thing they have in common, other than all being on the same tree, is the serrated edges.

She did get a mulberry leaf but none of the other leaves on the tree looked like this. The leaves were all the same on the tree that it came from. She has decided that it is a broad leaf linden and I would buy that considering it looks most like a linden. She will consult her science teacher and see if he has any input. I will also ask my neighbor and brother as they both know a lot about plants.