Menu

So....how do you review with OPGTR

cam112198

I keep a piece of paper (just a blank piece of printer paper) in the book as a bookmark and take notes on what we do every day. I write the date, the lessons we did and then "label" them- I put a line under a lesson they did okay on, circle a lesson they struggled with and then box the new lesson.

It ends up looking like this:

5/9- 51, 42, 61. 51 may have a line under it, 42 is circled and 61 has a box. Not much writing.

The next day when I sit down with them, I look back over the last two weeks and pick three lessons: one they've struggled with (the circled one,) then one they've mastered, to rebuild confidence, and then I add the next new one on the list- in the above example, that would be 62.

I know that sounds complicated, but it's really not. ;)

This helps me as I tend to fly through books without remembering to review. If I look back and see lots of lessons circled, or lessons that used to be underlined being circled the next time we do them, then I know it's time to stop with the new lessons and just review for a few days.

Not sure if that helps, but it's been the best and most easily contained method for me, as i have two kids going through the book at the same time. If I write down what they're doing every day, and how they're doing, then I don't have to try to remember. But it's not some super complicated spreadsheet or database, which i tend to create sometimes.

Mostly I find that the stories at the end are enough. I know that they suggest 2 review + 1 new, but I find that doing this every time makes the lesson way to long for my son. I use a notecard for a book mark and just jot down any sounds he is having trouble with - for instance lately he's been missing the "au" and "aw" sounds so I just make a note and will do a quick review of those before the next lesson. I usually only have to do this once a week.

We also supplement with ETC and I have him read a word or a sentence each time we do read alouds.

We are on Lesson 50-ish. I just started this method last week, but so far so good. I have 3 bookmarks (sticky notes) 2 say "Review" and one says "New". I choose one early lesson to build fluency, one recent lesson, and then the new one. Nothing fancy, but we do review every day.

I don't have him do the whole lesson for review though. Usually we just read a few of the sentences.

I keep a piece of paper (just a blank piece of printer paper) in the book as a bookmark and take notes on what we do every day. I write the date, the lessons we did and then "label" them- I put a line under a lesson they did okay on, circle a lesson they struggled with and then box the new lesson.

It ends up looking like this:

5/9- 51, 42, 61. 51 may have a line under it, 42 is circled and 61 has a box. Not much writing.

The next day when I sit down with them, I look back over the last two weeks and pick three lessons: one they've struggled with (the circled one,) then one they've mastered, to rebuild confidence, and then I add the next new one on the list- in the above example, that would be 62.

I know that sounds complicated, but it's really not. ;)

This helps me as I tend to fly through books without remembering to review. If I look back and see lots of lessons circled, or lessons that used to be underlined being circled the next time we do them, then I know it's time to stop with the new lessons and just review for a few days.

Not sure if that helps, but it's been the best and most easily contained method for me, as i have two kids going through the book at the same time. If I write down what they're doing every day, and how they're doing, then I don't have to try to remember. But it's not some super complicated spreadsheet or database, which i tend to create sometimes.

Wow!! Thank you so much! That helps a lot! I appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out. I'm going to try it. :)

I just always flip back a couple of lessons and have her read some of the words. I will sometimes remind her why it is the the way it is. Like, "Remember that in this case 'ei' pair says 'a'. A few students struggled with a few concepts so when it said to do 2 review, the lessons they struggled with were always what I went back to.

HTH

I just keep a bookmark and write down any words she struggled with during the lesson. The next day we read those first.

When she starts to really struggle then I re-write some of the phrases on notecards and play a game with them-- might be pulling them out of a hat and she reads them, putting them upside down and we take turns reading them, having them thrown on the floor and she grabs one at a time and reads it to me. Whatever, just to get her re-reading the words. She would never want to re-do a lesson, so this varies it up and still provides the review.

Three of my four kids have gone (or nearly gone!) through OPGTR and I've just never done review at all. Nothing. Never had them read anything else, other than having plenty of reading material available for them to read as they are moved to. (And they've always picked other reading material up several times per day.) We just do 1 lesson per day until we're done. That's it!

Our normal plan is to review the previous two lessons at the beginning of each day, but I also stick a post it or bookmark in lessons that my dc are still struggling with. We review a lot, probably spending more time on our review than on the new lesson each day.

I have not started yet, but have OPG and PP checked out from the library right now to preview my phonics options. The "two review and one new" that was suggested in OPG was brilliant, IMO, and I plan to use it, but probably with PP, which I preferred overall, but doesn't have any suggested review method.

I review as necessary. I'm not so organized as others. :) We do between 10-15 lessons, and then if DD has had any problems w/any of those lessons, we go back and do them again before we move onto new material.

For lessons in general, there are some we split into two days since they are long/have lots of reading. The flip side is that there are some days we do more than one b/c they are so short.

Three of my four kids have gone (or nearly gone!) through OPGTR and I've just never done review at all. Nothing. Never had them read anything else, other than having plenty of reading material available for them to read as they are moved to. (And they've always picked other reading material up several times per day.) We just do 1 lesson per day until we're done. That's it!

This is how I am. We recently switched from OPG to PP, but I do it the same way. I feel like there is enough review built into the lessons, plus we do ETC and McGuffey readers on the side to reinforce and to build fluency, that going back and reviewing would probably make dd grumble a bit. Maybe after we get further into more complicated rules things might change, but for now, I don't find review all that necessary. It would just be tedium.

I have started reviewing a lot. My son was fine until we got to the end of the section on blends. Then he just started getting lost with all the different rules. Before that I didn't feel he needed it.

I always start by having him read something "easy" so that he gets his confidence up and wants to continue the lesson. Then I have him review a couple of words or a sentence from a lesson he struggled with. Then we do the new lesson. At the end of that we play a game (which is really review as well). This is his "reward for getting through the harder/more boring parts of the lesson. I use games mostly from "Games for Reading" by Peggy Kay.

I have started reviewing a lot. My son was fine until we got to the end of the section on blends. Then he just started getting lost with all the different rules. Before that I didn't feel he needed it. .

This was us. Review never happened until OPGTR got ahead of our ETC and BOB books. Then all of a sudden it felt like the wheels fell off. My review method developed slowly, based on needs, but I had to come up with something a little more organized with my two going through it at the same time, close to the same levels, and my memory being lousy. :glare: