Menu

2nd grade: Favorite science?

profmom

What is your favorite science program or plan for 2nd grade? :) I've homeschooled for about 10 years, but I mostly have Apologia around the house. With the older kids, I was always thinking of both for combining, but now I can use something that is ideal for just 2nd grade! :) What do you like?

My favorite and most effective is the WTM "way" of working through a kid friendly encyclopedia, with experiments and projects on the side. I've been distracted by shiny objects along the way, but I always come back to that simple design and wonder why we strayed again.

I get to do second grade for the fourth time this fall. I purchased a spine on our topic (earth science) that's interesting to read and has lots of pictures. We already have experiment books to accompany it (501 Science Experiments, and VanCleave books), and I'll add WTM style writing at her level.

If you want something scheduled for you, check out Easy Classical's science schedules.

After 19 year I have found an excellent elementary science combo:

I am using Elemental Science along with Real Science Odyssey. ES is the spine. You just read, discuss, and narrate...simple but I have found it very effective with my dd. Once a week you do one of their experiments. Again, simple and easy to do but pack a wallop. We are very science oriented here so I add in RSO. It coincides with ES perfectly and the experiments you do are not your typical early elementary watered down experiments.

Both use basic, at home items so you do not need a full array of science equipment. Both usually take just a few minutes to complete.

BFSU is an excellent program. You could use it over 2nd and 3rd grades.

:iagree: We use it over 2-3 years. For science, we do BFSU, Nature Study, and living books. It works great, understanding is maximized and is very enjoyable to boot. Next year we're doing BFSU 2.

WTM science has been what has worked best for us too. For 2nd it is the earth/space science year. We had a great year just using the Usborne First Illustrated Encyclopedias of Space and Earth as spines and the library for books to read and experiments to do along the way too. We found many things in real life to go along (like a rock/mineral show when we were studying geology and zoo science classes) that were perfect go alongs. The kids made narrations and diagrams for their notebooks. We did "space art" from a library book to go along and visited the science museum.