Menu

Good books for preK BOY

Targhee

I have always been able to find great books for my DD - or maybe she just likes everything. But I keep striking out with DS. He loves to look through books on his own, and sometimes likes to be read to - but the pictures are the story to him. He'll point at a picture and say "read this." He's a wiggler (jumper/bouncer, actually) and the only time I seem to get him to sit and listen for a fair amount of time is when he doesn't have a choice (strapped in car seat listening to audiobook). He likes typical boy things - cars, trains, planes, knights (princesses, too), and is starting to show interest in super heroes, dinosaurs, and sports. So I need to find books with engaging illustrations so he will sit for the read-alouds. With that in mind, does anyone have a book(s) they'd like to recommend? :001_unsure: TIA!

My yougest DS was/is a mover and a shaker :tongue_smilie:

He is constant motion, but loved many of the same things your boy loves. He loved lift-a-flap books (I guess since they involved some motion). He also liked Bob the Builder books.

You can't go wrong with Dr. Suess. We found some board books that were a shorter version of the originals. Same pictures and everything, just shorter stories. Dr. Suess' style of writing is just words in motion.

He also loved the Usbourne book That's Not My Dinosaur. It's a touchy-feely book that he begged for each night.

Basically, anything that allowed motion (lift-a-flap), touch, or wasn't terribly long (usually shorter than what I normally read to my older son at that age) seemed to work.

He's 6 now and while he is a strong reader for his age, he still doesn't like to sit down and do it.

It also amazed me how much he actually listened while I read to his older brother. He would be playing nearby and even if he didn't see the words, he picked up on the cadence of language. He was a hard one to get to read to each night, so we would compromise and read every other night or whenever the urge hit him. Basically if he brought me a book during the day, it was read ASAP.

You might also try taking him to the library and just letting him browse the books with you. He really liked the How Do Dinosaurs ... (Say Good-Night, etc). I believe the author's last name is Yolen.

Another thing to try is to have him pick up a little truck or car or whatever and then read the story to him. Let him roll the truck around and play with it while you're reading. You'll be building his "listening muscles" even if his "sitting muscles" aren't working so well!!! :)

Anne

Anne

We've enjoyed books by Jane Yolen, Audrey Wood, and Jan Brett. All of the illustrations are fantastic and engaging.

Also, have you thought about books that don't have words? My ds5 is a wiggle worm but will sit for an hour looking at a book called The 46 Little Men. The illustrations are somewhat elaborate yet easy to identify things that are going on. He sits and makes up his own stories...complete with different voices...for everything he sees going on in the picture.

How about 'active' books? Things he (&/or you) could act out/imitate while you read. Or, things that are very rhythmic/repeating/song-like. (It's late, so forgive me if I'm not explaining things clearly, lol.)

A fun one we had was "A Fox Got My Socks" (published by Discovery Toys, I think).

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Ten in the Bed

The Gingerbread Man (make a running sound by hitting your palms on your thighs while reading the refrain "Run, run, as fast as you can...")

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Find some fingerplay type books that would give you some ideas of stories & actions to go along.... Our library has a large selection of books like this.

Richard Scarry books (these are my personal faves, lol). We would spend tons of time poring over the details in all the pictures, talking about them, etc.... Your ds might like "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" and "The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries"

Also, he may like things like the "I Spy" books. I know that's not a story, per se, but it should help develop concentration skills. We love the "Look-Alikes" books even more than the "I Spy" books.

And, perhaps things like silly type books, where you can talk about the 'tricks' or 'silly' things -- being interactive while reading, kwim? "A is for Salad" is a fun alphabet book like that....

Does your library offer a preK storytime? That also provides good practice in listening, seeing some of the fingerplay, expressive storytelling, etc.... It can be a great place to get ideas of how to enthrall the younger ones.

My ds, who just turned 3, has been listening in on books with us forever, so he has learned to be a bit less wiggly over time. He especially enjoys the I Spy books as well, and will concentrate on those for long periods of time. Other favorites of his include Caps for Sale, Abiyoyo, A House for Hermit Crab, The Tiny Seed, the Little Critter books, Byron Barton's books about dinosaurs and trains, Where the Wild Things Are, and almost any simple nonfiction about bugs.

How about 'active' books? Things he (&/or you) could act out/imitate while you read. Or, things that are very rhythmic/repeating/song-like. (It's late, so forgive me if I'm not explaining things clearly, lol.)

A fun one we had was "A Fox Got My Socks" (published by Discovery Toys, I think).

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Ten in the Bed

The Gingerbread Man (make a running sound by hitting your palms on your thighs while reading the refrain "Run, run, as fast as you can...")

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Find some fingerplay type books that would give you some ideas of stories & actions to go along.... Our library has a large selection of books like this.

Richard Scarry books (these are my personal faves, lol). We would spend tons of time poring over the details in all the pictures, talking about them, etc.... Your ds might like "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" and "The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries"

Also, he may like things like the "I Spy" books. I know that's not a story, per se, but it should help develop concentration skills. We love the "Look-Alikes" books even more than the "I Spy" books.

And, perhaps things like silly type books, where you can talk about the 'tricks' or 'silly' things -- being interactive while reading, kwim? "A is for Salad" is a fun alphabet book like that....

Does your library offer a preK storytime? That also provides good practice in listening, seeing some of the fingerplay, expressive storytelling, etc.... It can be a great place to get ideas of how to enthrall the younger ones.

I agree. Also, the Little Critter books are great and not too long. Oh, and anything by Dr. Seuss.

how about....

"How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" My boys loved that book, our library had it. You can challenge him to find the name of the dinosaur hidden on each page as your reading.

Also we love "I'd Be Your Hero" if you don't mind Christian themes about virtue. Has a little boy as a prince and great artwork.

Also, we really love Judi Barrett books, "Never take a Shark to a Dentist" and "Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothes" and "Things that are Most" They are shorter, the artwork is hilarious and my boys love them. Easily found in your library.

My busy preK'er loves:

Mike Mulligan & Steam shovel

Katy & the Big Snow

Curios George

Katy No- Pockets

If they are too long, you can talk about the very boy-friendly pictures.

You can see my little Trouble's whole list here:

http://www.lifewithmy3boybarians.com/2008/06/literature-book-baskets-and-independent.html

Also - a sidenote - don't underestimate how much they absorb while playing Legos nearby. Mine may not sit, but when I ask comprehension questions, he often shouts the answer from 8 feet away. :)