Menu

Cluttered bookcases

I, like most people on this board, have many bookcases and many more books. My problem lately is that I am feeling overwhelmed with clutter in my house.

Without getting rid of the cases or books does anyone have any suggestions on how to make them look/feel less cluttery? Has anyone covered up their bookcases before?

I make an effort to periodically go through the shelves and cull. While I am doing this I remove any items that are not books and make sure all the remaining books are neatly organized. My downstairs shelves are overdue and I think my hubby is patiently waiting for it to happen because he is using the library as an office right now.

Depending on the bookshelves, you might be able to get doors for them. I know you can definitely add doors to the Billy bookcases from Ikea, but I don't know what type of furniture you have.

Another option could be something else I saw at Ikea. It's a track-based system that's intended as window covering, but you could mount it to the ceiling and use the fabric of your choice as a type of sliding "door." I think the fabrics they sell at Ikea are around 24" wide, and they come in lengths that would probably reach from floor to ceiling. (You put these little metal strips on the bottom of the fabric to keep them from flying all over the place or curling up or fraying.)

I know that was a lousy description, so give me a minute and I'll pop over to the Ikea site and see if I can find the actual products for you.

I make an effort to periodically go through the shelves and cull. While I am doing this I remove any items that are not books and make sure all the remaining books are neatly organized. My downstairs shelves are overdue and I think my hubby is patiently waiting for it to happen because he is using the library as an office right now.

Yes, I just did this recently. I got rid of everything I didn't "need":D and there is nothing on there but books.

I'm really craving simple and clean right now, minimum color even.

Depending on the bookshelves, you might be able to get doors for them. I know you can definitely add doors to the Billy bookcases from Ikea, but I don't know what type of furniture you have.

Another option could be something else I saw at Ikea. It's a track-based system that's intended as window covering, but you could mount it to the ceiling and use the fabric of your choice as a type of sliding "door." I think the fabrics they sell at Ikea are around 24" wide, and they come in lengths that would probably reach from floor to ceiling. (You put these little metal strips on the bottom of the fabric to keep them from flying all over the place or curling up or fraying.)

I know that was a lousy description, so give me a minute and I'll pop over to the Ikea site and see if I can find the actual products for you.

I have a combination of custom built, really nice actually, dark wood stained wood bookcases and I small two row expedit shelf from ikea.

A curtain is an idea, thanks!

I found them!

They're called KVARTAL Curtain Tracks.

You can find them in the online section called "Living room textiles and rugs." Just click on "Curtain rods and rails," and the photos will be in the slideshow.

Here's a link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/18891/

I like the ones that are flat and sleek, because they don't look like curtains. I think something like that might work for you if you chose the right fabric panels, because they might look like cool room-divider screens or something.

Okay, can I just say... we don't have an Ikea where I live, and my life is just a little incomplete because of it... :D

Thanks for the link, those look incredibly versatile!!

OP, we have cluttered bookshelves as well. At this point, I just need more bookshelves. That's not what you asked and it doesn't help you, but just sharing in your dilemma...

I keep books that we don't want to get rid of, but also don't use often, in clear Sterilite bins. I organize them by theme which I write on a piece of paper and drop into the box so that I can see it through the bin. The bins are in a storage closet in our home.

We still have a lot of books on the shelves, but they are very organized. Having them organized and not having them all out helps to keep me from getting overwhelmed. ;)

I found organizing my books by color makes them look a little less cluttered and more peaceful. Yes I can still find things and I can tell when my children put back a book and I need to straighten my bookcases up as there are some books out of place currently.

I just did the shelf and reordered each shelf by the rainbow.

Great ideas!

I realized the curtain/paneled idea might not work so well with the kids. They would probably destroy in the process of getting at the books.

I don't have enough storage room to box and store any.

I like the idea of arranging them by color!!!

I also like the idea of maybe curtaining off some of the shelves but not necessarily the whole thing.

It's got me thinking, thanks everyone.

This will so not help you, but in my dreams I want a book closet! A walk-in closet that is free of dust. Most books are in this book-closet, but I'll have a tiny little bookshelf out. The ONLY one I'd have to clean and dust and keep my visual clutter to a minimum. I'm going to do it. I just have to find out where to install this closet! ;)

This will so not help you, but in my dreams I want a book closet! A walk-in closet that is free of dust. Most books are in this book-closet, but I'll have a tiny little bookshelf out. The ONLY one I'd have to clean and dust and keep my visual clutter to a minimum. I'm going to do it. I just have to find out where to install this closet! ;)

When you figure out how to make a closet where there is no room for one, let me know:D

I would of course, love a private library--then I could just shut the door, but that won't happen.