Menu

Homeschool and Classroom supplies, from the top

I haven't really needed much up until this point but now have the means (temporarily) to buy whatever I will need for classroom/homeschool supplies for the upcoming years. So for those who have BTDT, what supplies would you say are necessary staples? What are your personal must-haves? What are 'nice-to-haves'? We are moving into a house with an extra room and I will get to have a homeschool room; I already have the furniture and such picked out. What would you put on your list, oher than the basic furniture (and even that, trying to decide on a table with adjustable legs for my kids and a desk for myself vs a kidney table with all of us seated there vs a big desk/table and adjustable chairs to serve as my desk that they can sit at as well) if you were me? Assume that I have nothing yet. I am in the elementary range (lower elementary grades) with my kids by the way.

I like working at a small table for little ones, then graduating to a bigger table, then perhaps going individual or at least having some options in case kids can't work side-by-side. So I'd start with a kids table and not plan on buying everything all at once until I see how my kids are together.

Other supplies:

Whiteboard/markers--both a big one and individual ones

map puzzles from Montessori

art supplies--sulfite paper, watercolor paper, plain white (copy) paper, origami paper, cardstock in white and colors, paints, clay, Sculpty, glitter, stickers, glue sticks, markers, crayola crayons, Prismacolor colored pencils and sooo much more...LOL

stapler

3 hole punch

sticky notes in different shapes

posters

sticker machine

copy machine

scissors

bookshelves

baskets

math manips

file folders

tape

ipod

computer

couch

comfy floor cushion or "husband" (that's what my dh calls those pillows with "arms!")

page protectors

eraser for white board

pretty border for sectioning off a place to hang an art wall

sentence strips

poster board

old calendars with famous artist pics in them and nature pics, too

digital camera for keeping track of projects (so you can throw them out) and for nature notebooking

clip board

That should get you started.

That is a great list, thanks! There were quite a few things I hadn't thought of or had forgotten from my initial list.

I actually laughed quite a bit when you mentioned the 'husband' pillow because I am on bedrest for pregnancy-related complications and have one of those big pregnancy pillows to keep me from getting too uncomfortable and I tease my dh by referring to it as 'my husband'.

I haven't really needed much up until this point but now have the means (temporarily) to buy whatever I will need for classroom/homeschool supplies for the upcoming years. So for those who have BTDT, what supplies would you say are necessary staples? What are your personal must-haves? What are 'nice-to-haves'? We are moving into a house with an extra room and I will get to have a homeschool room; I already have the furniture and such picked out. What would you put on your list, oher than the basic furniture (and even that, trying to decide on a table with adjustable legs for my kids and a desk for myself vs a kidney table with all of us seated there vs a big desk/table and adjustable chairs to serve as my desk that they can sit at as well) if you were me? Assume that I have nothing yet. I am in the elementary range (lower elementary grades) with my kids by the way.

A computer with a printer is my must have.

I also have a table with adjustable legs, which is great too, BUT we end up doing most of the work on the dining room table as our lives revolve around the kitchen, dining and living room - not our schoolroom.

A bookshelf - and a shelf for every kid and one or two for my teacher books has also been my must have.

Wall maps of the world and the united states have done more for us regarding geography than a book ever could. So has a roll of butcher paper that we taped up down our hallway as a timeline.

A dvd/cd player for listening to books or music or watching a science dvd.

Heavy weight colored paper for lapbooks, covers for homemade books, etc.

Color pencils, markers and acrylic paints.

Small "magnetic" white boards - and by magnetic I mean that the white part is magnetic. I have used those with magnetic foam letters and foam shapes for phonic and spelling work and the shapes for math understanding. Also, colored erasable markers for spelling and for helping with math carrying and borrowing.

HTH

I would suggest the following..

A wig so when you pull your hair out you can still answer the door for the fed-ex guy without him thinking you've been attacked.

Four extra hands and an additional set of legs. Of course, if you can just split yourself in two or three that works better.

A spare brain or two, because it's hard to jump from Advanced algebra to remember exactly when the War of 1812 actually ended.

Googly eyes are good, but the extra pair of eyes on the back of your head will need glasses also as the kids get older, so order a spare pair of eyes and glasses now, they take forever to arrive.

A steel lined stomach for the science experiments that you would traditionally gag through. Don't cheap out and buy the nylon lined one, it won't be enough.

A strong back bone for yourself and your children for when well meaning frienemies ask stupid questions about your qualifications to homeschool and the pop quizzes that they feel is appropriate to give your children.

Nerves of steel, just to teach them to drive someday. I'm still recovering from the first child and the second born just turned 16. Lord, please have mercy.

Steel toes if you walk around bare foot because if something can be dropped it will be dropped on your feet. EVERY SINGLE TIME! Otherwise, steel toed boots.

Oh, and don't forget to order the spare tongue and mouth assemble, makes use you buy the set that speaks blessings and encouragement to your children and to you every single day.

Did I forget anything??? I can't remember, I think it's time for another spare brain!

LOL! Have a great day!

A wig so when you pull your hair out you can still answer the door for the fed-ex guy without him thinking you've been attacked.

Four extra hands and an additional set of legs. Of course, if you can just split yourself in two or three that works better.

A spare brain or two, because it's hard to jump from Advanced algebra to remember exactly when the War of 1812 actually ended.

Googly eyes are good, but the extra pair of eyes on the back of your head will need glasses also as the kids get older, so order a spare pair of eyes and glasses now, they take forever to arrive.

A steel lined stomach for the science experiments that you would traditionally gag through. Don't cheap out and buy the nylon lined one, it won't be enough.

A strong back bone for yourself and your children for when well meaning frienemies ask stupid questions about your qualifications to homeschool and the pop quizzes that they feel is appropriate to give your children.

Nerves of steel, just to teach them to drive someday. I'm still recovering from the first child and the second born just turned 16. Lord, please have mercy.

Steel toes if you walk around bare foot because if something can be dropped it will be dropped on your feet. EVERY SINGLE TIME! Otherwise, steel toed boots.

Oh, and don't forget to order the spare tongue and mouth assemble, makes use you buy the set that speaks blessings and encouragement to your children and to you every single day.

Did I forget anything??? I can't remember, I think it's time for another spare brain!

LOL! Have a great day!

LOVE THIS> Don't forget the maid, cook and chauffeur so you can school w/o stopping to do chores, make meals, or drive to lessons and field trips...:lol:

Laminator & pouches... if you think you might use it. :-)

CD player, or mp3 player (theability to send 1 child to a different area to listen to their memory work is a MUST for us. :-)

Pen holders like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/TOPS-Self-stick-Pen-Holders-3-pack/20896258 for the dry erase markers if your kids lose everything, like mine do. We do math on mini dry erase "slates."(Our pencils go in a cup, but the dry erase pens need to be stored horizonatlly, and if they live with the boards they stay around longer. )

I also like sunshine in a schoolroom.

Edited by lcelmer

LOL! Have a great day!

LOL :D

I like working at a small table for little ones, then graduating to a bigger table, then perhaps going individual or at least having some options in case kids can't work side-by-side. So I'd start with a kids table and not plan on buying everything all at once until I see how my kids are together.

Other supplies:

Whiteboard/markers--both a big one and individual ones

map puzzles from Montessori

art supplies--sulfite paper, watercolor paper, plain white (copy) paper, origami paper, cardstock in white and colors, paints, clay, Sculpty, glitter, stickers, glue sticks, markers, crayola crayons, Prismacolor colored pencils and sooo much more...LOL

stapler

3 hole punch

sticky notes in different shapes

posters

sticker machine

copy machine

scissors

bookshelves

baskets

math manips

file folders

tape

ipod

computer

couch

comfy floor cushion or "husband" (that's what my dh calls those pillows with "arms!")

page protectors

eraser for white board

pretty border for sectioning off a place to hang an art wall

sentence strips

poster board

old calendars with famous artist pics in them and nature pics, too

digital camera for keeping track of projects (so you can throw them out) and for nature notebooking

clip board

That should get you started.

I never thought of a sticker machine before. Do you use it a lot? Sounds fun :D

I would have to second the laminator! It's great to photocopy math or phonics games from your book and then laminate them for use with the next kids in line. Saves the trouble of having to copy the same game/flashcards/etc. year after year!

Did someone mention file folders? Even if you don't use filing as your main organizational method, folders are useful for other things!

Three-ring binders of all sizes are good.

Each of my kids has a clipboard that opens and holds papers/pencils/crayons inside. We use those things for individual school work, for travel/appts/etc. So useful!

I find that I am always looking for pencils, a pencil sharpener and paper...so those things for sure.

I second the dry erase boards and markers, wall maps and shelves, cabinets, drawers and such for storage.

A stash of m&ms or treat of your choice for both student and teacher.