Menu

Pork roast in the crockpot?!?

I'm making one for pulled pork sandwiches tonight. I usually put quite a bit of chicken broth in to keep it moist. Is this necessary? Or would it be fine on it's own? Or, would water do the same job?

I have some, but just thinking I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to.

Hmm....what about diet pepsi?? lol

I have various forms of fruit juice (not apple - mostly berry blends), diet pepsi, beef broth, chicken broth, and water.

Lol... that I'm not sure about.

I'd probably go with the beef broth. I cook pork chops in it, and they come out tasting really good.

Lol... that I'm not sure about.

I'd probably go with the beef broth. I cook pork chops in it, and they come out tasting really good.

I actually have a lot more beef broth than I do chicken broth, so that sounds like a good answer to me :)

I think too much liquid ruins meat in the crockpot. My favorite pork roast recipe has a marinade with some citrus juice, onions, and a bunch of spices. It's delicious, but if I were just going to pour BBQ sauce on it, I'd cook the pork roast with just a little bit of chicken broth or water. It will be swimming in its own juices by the time it's done.

I would use the beef broth or water. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use Diet soda when cooking because something about the way the artificial sweeteners break down from cooking isn't good. Not sure if that is really true or not. I can't drink diet soda so I never have it around.