Menu

Prima Latina

chepyl

I finally found a Latin program that looks like it will work for my son and I. I picked up Prima Latina at convention this weekend. I have the student book, teacher book, and a cd. Is there anything else I might need or wamt with it?

Also, what Is your experience with how long the program takes? It only has 25 lessons, did ypu spend a few days going through the lesson each week, or less time? I jist want to see how to put it in our schedule.

Right now the plan is math, grammar, spelling daily; history MWF and science TTh.

Dd8 just did Prima Latina this year as a 3rd grader. It was super easy for us because she could read the directions herself; after I set up a routine for her it was an independent subject. (Which was wonderful!!) Note that it's not just 25 lessons - there is a review lesson after each 5 chapters. We pretty much did one lesson each week for 30 weeks. She'd read through the lesson page one day and copy out her own vocab cards (you can buy pre-made vocab cards, but we didn't), then do go through one page of exercises on each of two other days. It took her about 15 minutes/3 days a week.

HTH!

Mama Anna

I have done it once at home and will teach it at co-op next year. We do one lesson a week which is perfect for our co-op which meets less than a school year. At home we just spent more than a week on some lessons around the holidays and such.

We spent maybe 3 days a week on it. One day to go over the new lesson together. One day to work on the workbook, and one day to do flashcards and review past weeks. We said the prayers daily at table or bedtime and have for years to keep them in our minds.

We just finished it with our third-grader as well. We only had the three things you mentioned and it worked really well. We, too, made our own flash cards for review. We're similar to everyone else in that we spent the first day learning together, then he worked on his own the rest of the week. He really loved it.

We just finished it. Did a chapter a week. Watched the DVD on Monday. Every day I went over the vocab and the prayers with DS and he did an exercise in the workbook. On Friday he did an on-line quiz on Quizlet (sorry, I don't have the link right now, just go to Quizlet and put in a search for Prima Latina) and it worked great.

Prima is so basic that you don't really need the DVD. The only thing I might add is the flashcards. These are the same flashcards as for Latina Christiana, so if you think that you'll continue on to this next program, they might be worth it. Three days a week are fine. One for the lesson and the workbook page, one for review and the copybook, and maybe some sort of flashcard review/evaluation day. We tried to review the prayers daily to keep them fresh.

Prima is so basic that you don't really need the DVD.

:iagree: But, I got the DVDs anyway, and will for LC just because.... I don't feel like teaching the material. I could teach it, but I don't feel like prepping. And Leigh Lowe is so sweet. She cracks me up! I just love watching her on the video.:D

We are starting next year so I'm happy to hear a basic timeline. I bought the dvd's because I found a used set with them for pretty cheap so I'm hoping it works well for us. It seems pretty simple and straightforward.