Menu

Vege What's for Dinner Thread, for Parrothead

I made this last night:

Easy Lentil Soup.

fine chop (not mince) medium yellow or white onion

Brown lightly in 3 T olive oil. Add two carrots cut into good-sized chunks, 2 cups brown lentils and 6 cups water. (You can use broth .... I added 3 T Frontier "beef" broth powder). Add a bay leaf and a good grinding of pepper. ( also put in 1/2 teas of aleppo pepper). When done, add 1/2 cup sliced fresh spinach and cook another 2 minutes. Salt to taste. (You can also add a bit of tomato paste).

I served it over a thin layer of hot brown basmati with a little shredded mozz cheese on it. We all went back for seconds.

You can also serve with with homemade oven fries sprinkled with some greek seasoning.

(I get the greek seasoning and aleppo pepper (think of it as red pepper flakes that are a little moister, slight citrus tang and a WHOLE lot LESS heat than the flakes you get at the pizza place) at Penzey's Spices. They are on line.)

Leek Pie. It's rich, and not vegan, but it's a vegetarian treat.

Pie crust (make or buy)

3/4 cup butter

1 shallot, diced

2 gloves garlic, crushed or diced

3 large leeks, white part only, chopped

1/2 cup cream or half & half

1/2 cup half & half

1 1/3 cup grated swiss cheese

Preheat over to 375

Melt butter in saute pan, add shallots, garlic, and leeks (about 7 minutes- until softened.

Add cream & half & half

Add cheese

Stir until melted

Pour in pie crust

Cook for 35-45 min, until top is golden brown

Let sit for 20 min

It's so rich. One slice will do it. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, hey! Thanks guys. You're the best! :grouphug:

Tonight is black bean enchiladas. Well, at least what enchiladas look like in our house. I used to do these with shredded chicken instead of black beans.

1 can of black beans

1 can of Rotel

shredded cheddar cheese

1 bottle of enchilada sauce.

Fajita size flour tortillas

Drain and mix the beans and Rotel. Combine in bowl. In medium casserole dish pour half the bottle of sauce. Fill tortillas with bean/Rotel mix, top with cheese then roll. Place each filled tortilla in the dish. When dish is full top with remaining sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.

We had an awesome homemade pizza last night. It was vegetarian because we were sick of chicken and that is the only meat I have right now. On a half white/ half whole wheat homemade crust, I put plain tomato sauce sprinked it with garlic power, then topped it with chopped fresh spinach, minced onion, minced garlic, a little chopped fresh basil and monterey jack cheese. Everyone yummed thier way through it.

Along those lines, here is Rio Corn Pie from Great American Vegetarian by Nava Atlas

Heat oven to 375

Heat 1 T olive oil in a large skillet, add 1 med onion chopped , heat until translucent. Add a cup of bell pepper chopped and 2 minced cloves garlic, cook until onion is browned. Add 1 cup corn kernels (cooked fresh or frozen), 2 cups cooked pintos, a 14 oz can diced toms, 2 teas chili powder, 1 teas of oregano, 1/2 teas ground cumin (to make this easy, get whole cumin which keeps well, and dry toast it on the stove top and mash with the back of a spoon), and salt to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes until hot through.

Make a polenta of 4 C water and 1 cup cornmeal by cooking over very low for 20 minutes. Oil a 1.5 Q baking pan, line the bottom with half the polenta, top with the beans/corn from above, (you can put monterey jack or cheddar on top of the beans) and then top with the other half of the cormeal. Pat smooth and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crusty.

Last night I chopped up some walnuts and dry toasted them and then to that pan I added button mushrooms and sauteed them with some tamari sauce and garlic. I chopped those up while they cooked and then used won ton wrappers to make raviolis. After I cooked them I added my alfredo sauce and topped them with some extra mushroom/walnut mixture. My DH said it was his favorite meal ever. :)

Along those lines, here is Rio Corn Pie from Great American Vegetarian by Nava Atlas

To stick with the theme:

Corn and Black Bean Pie

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 small red onion, diced

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced

1/2 orange bell pepper, diced

1 can whole kernel corn, undrained

1 can black beans

16 ounces thick and chunky medium salsa

1 cup water

1 bag corn bread stuffing

8 ounces 4 cheese blend

sour cream, for topping

chopped cilantro for garnish

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until softened. Add corn, beans, salsa and water and stir to mix. Add stuffing in thirds mixing well after each addition. When evenly moistened pour into greased pie pan. Mixture will mound high above the lip of the pan. Pack lightly. Bake at 350*F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese then continue baking for another 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and cilantro.

This is from my supermarket's bi-monthly magazine - fresh.

Mmmmmm....I love leek pie! Maybe next week.

Tonight we are having vegetarian (not vegan) soft tacos. Instead of seasoned, ground beef I use a 50/50 mixture of cooked lentils and barley. The barley really gives the mixture a good, chewy, meaty texture. I just season it up with taco style seasoning and the rest of the recipe remains the same: flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, corn, cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc (just whatever you like on tacos).

Mmmmmm....I love leek pie! Maybe next week.

Tonight we are having vegetarian (not vegan) soft tacos. Instead of seasoned, ground beef I use a 50/50 mixture of cooked lentils and barley. The barley really gives the mixture a good, chewy, meaty texture. I just season it up with taco style seasoning and the rest of the recipe remains the same: flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, corn, cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc (just whatever you like on tacos).

I like the idea of using barley! I usually use just lentils. I'll have to try that next time. :)

I did snack stuff for dinner tonight, because my husband and son requested it.

We had:

- tomato and onion salad (red onions, good tomatoes, sliced and layered, drenched in balsamic vinegar and spices)

- baked potato wedges (Slice potatoes into wedges, about eight pieces per each large potato, spritz a baking sheet with spray oil, lay out the potato pieces, spritz them with more spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake for about 20 minutes at 450.)

- carrot sticks

- garlic bread

My husband added some cheese to his plate.

I think tomorrow is Indian night, which is more interesting.