Menu

Can you freeze avocados and bacon grease?

Why would you freeze the bacon grease? I keep mine in a jar in the fridge and it lasts FOREVER. (months and months and months...and it has never gone rancid).

Mine has picked up smells from other things in the fridge though. Blech.

While we're on the subject, can you freeze chick peas/garbanzo beans? I opened a can to make a recipe, but then realized the specific salad I was making actually DIDN'T call for them. So I put them in a bag and stuck them in the freezer. Do you think they'd be ok for making hummus? I imagine the texture might change, but I figured if we're gonna blend them up anyway...

I would guess that avocado wouldn't freeze well, since it oxidizes (turns brown, like apples). But I would think bacon grease would freeze fine. You can freeze butter and margarine, so why not bacon grease.

Bah on the avocados but Yay for the grease.

I didn't think about putting it in the fridge!:001_huh: I always stick things in the freezer if I can't eat them right away. Duh *smacks forehead*.

Thanks all!

I have no idea about chickpeas either.

Is hummus as good as everyone makes it out to be?

Yes! I've never made my own though--I never seem to have all the ingredients at the same time, plus the inclination to make it right then :lol: I don't love most of the ones my grocery store sells, but Whole Foods sells a few brands that are to die for. Yum!

Now I want hummus...

I have no idea about chickpeas either.

Yes, you can freeze cooked chickpeas. And YES, hummus is wonderful! There are so many ways to make it. I used this recipe, but often I just eyeball it with garlic (fresh chopped, or garlic powder), lemon juice, olive oil, salt to taste, black pepper if you want it. I've made it with canned chick peas and also with fresh that I cook myself.

Search "hummus" at allrecipes.com to see more recipes.

It can either be the most wonderful, addictive thing you've ever eaten (Bobbi's), or it can taste like old toothpaste. Store brands vary widely; the best have no artificial ingredients ~ read the label, you'll be surprised at the differences.

Crunchy homeschoolers like hummus because it's a good protein food, freezes well and thus lends itself to being made in large batches, and doesn't need to be kept cold on field trips.

Enjoy it on bread, pita chips, carrot sticks, pasta, etc.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read you can freeze avocados. You can cut in half, remove pit, wrap in plastic wrap, and seal in freezer ziploc bags. And you can mash/blend them with a little lemon or lime juice, and seal and freeze. Apparently thawing in the fridge makes browning less likely.

eta: cross posted with mom2samlibby :)

While we're on the subject, can you freeze chick peas/garbanzo beans? I opened a can to make a recipe, but then realized the specific salad I was making actually DIDN'T call for them. So I put them in a bag and stuck them in the freezer. Do you think they'd be ok for making hummus? I imagine the texture might change, but I figured if we're gonna blend them up anyway...

I make batches of homemade chickpeas and freeze them. They make great hummus.

*cheer* Thank you!!

It can either be the most wonderful, addictive thing you've ever eaten (Bobbi's), or it can taste like old toothpaste. Store brands vary widely; the best have no artificial ingredients ~ read the label, you'll be surprised at the differences.

Crunchy homeschoolers like hummus because it's a good protein food, freezes well and thus lends itself to being made in large batches, and doesn't need to be kept cold on field trips.

Enjoy it on bread, pita chips, carrot sticks, pasta, etc.

Thanks Pauline!

My dh was on your site today looking at all the PA homeschooling stuff. I told him you were on this board and it felt like I knew a celebrity! :)

By the way, he loves your site (as do I), he was very impressed with the amount of info! :001_smile: