Menu

Preschool/Toddler lessons

roanna

So please don't think I'm crazy but I've been looking all over the web trying to find more of a lesson plan type of fun things to do with little kids. I have an advanced 6 year old who gets plenty of my attention but my 2.5 year old gets forgotten. I have gotten much better at following lesson plans with my 6 year old since I am not naturally a schedule type of mom.

Can anyone tell me of any daily lesson plan for little kids, free or purchase?

She can do matching and such and can sit for longer periods of time. This is not really to teach stuff but for me to make sure I am spending quality time with her daily. I like letter of the week but it's not a lesson plan. If anyone has made up one for that maybe you could share. :)

I hope this doesn't sound odd but I think it will really help me.

I don't have anything to share, but I can describe what we did. For that age, we had a theme for the week. Usually it was a color/ shape/ number, etc. I filled a clear box with things of that color, we finger painted with the color, red books that had to do with the color, had a snack, etc. One of our favorite activities was freezing ice cubes with food coloring of the week's color, and then "painting" with the colored ice cubes as they melted.

Around 3, we started doing a letter of the week. I looked online for ideas and put together a folder for every letter (or about 6-8 at a time). I had coloring pages for the letter, we "built" on the shape of the letter using legoes, I made puzzles for the letter, we sorted capitals/ lowercase. I had a poem or nursery rhyme that started with the letter, etc. We emphasized the sound of the letter over the letter names and reviewed often.

We also used Before Five in a Row, and Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven.

I bought What Your Preschooler Needs to Know and the 2 Activity Books to go along with it, and my DD loves it. She wants to "do lessons" like her siblings, so this is hers alone. It's a little pricey for a preschooler, but for me it was worth it. There are punch-outs for retelling stories that are read, sticker activities, coloring activities, etc.... I think it runs about $60 for the 3 books total.

I include my younger kids in a morning "circle"time where we do the Pledge of Allegiance, sing and sign (american sign language) the ABCs, read a picture book, jiggly dance (to get the wiggles out) which I sometimes call exercise time. This short routine in our morning includes all of my children, even my advanced 5.5 year old likes it and it's perfect for 3 and 2 year old.

I know it's not really a curriculum or lesson plan but it is a way to incorporate all ages into your day at one point.

Also, I really liked Five In A Row. I have a few blog posts on our experiences with it. You can get a wealth of activity ideas by searching some of the blogs from other members on here.

I really can't find daily lesson plans for two-year-olds anywhere. Probably because two year olds have a tendency to break that sort of system, pronto!

However, if you really want some guidance to make your own, you can check the forms over at 1+1+1=1 or Homeschool Creations.

If you're interested in workboxes as an organizing principle, you could check out SpellOutLoud over at Squidoo. Actually, you might want to check this anyhow, since it has loads of wonderful links, including many I have listed below.

Or, you could try a different activity bag (or equivalent) for each day of the week, swapping one or two out per week. Getting a few books out from the library every month or so to supplement wouldn't hurt anything.

For activity bags, check out 1+1+1=1's listing, or the one at Homeschool Share. Jenn over at Delicious Ambiguity used to have a really cool list of idea submissions, but her Linky subscription expired, so it's not there any more. You can still see what she's posted herself, though! Similarly, No Time for Flashcards has loads of activities posted.

Or, you could pay money for the actual book.

My two-year-old's favorite activity involves what I call "puffballs" and your local craft store calls "pom poms." I got a bag of assorted colors in large, grabbed an empty margarine tub, cut circles the size of dimes in the lid, and now my son has fun stuffing the puffballs into the tub. I also have three colored baskets that match some of the pompoms, and he can sort out those three colors into the correct baskets. I guess he could also move onto moving them from bowl to bowl with a plastic spoon, but so far that sounds a little delicate for him. (My son is a typical, meaning "no fine motor skills," boy.) All of this I think I got from Delicious Ambiguity, except for the colored baskets, which came three for a dollar at the dollar store. (It was total

Also, more free stuff for when your child reaches three:

• Bible and Rhyme, from Hubbard's Cupboard. Unlike all my other suggestions, this one actually is a lesson plan.

If you want something Bible based, Heart of Dakota Little Hands to Heaven would be perfect. It follows a letter of the week type plan and has Bible rhymes and fingerplays to go along with the letter of the week. There is a daily Bible reading and some light art, music and math activities outlined. I would supplement that with lots of read-alouds. I love the BFIAR booklist but can't stand the format of the guide. (I like a schedule with boxes to check off, not wordy paragraphs to read through.) The SL P3/4 book list would also be great to start, although some of the books might be a little long for a 2.5yo.

My ODS did the preparatory curriculum here at 2.5 and YDS is now doing it when he asks to do "cool work." We then did the LOTW once we got through that and then did Before Five in a Row. I also pulled from crafty preschool blogs for fun activities.

If you want something Bible based, Heart of Dakota Little Hands to Heaven would be perfect. It follows a letter of the week type plan and has Bible rhymes and fingerplays to go along with the letter of the week. There is a daily Bible reading and some light art, music and math activities outlined. I would supplement that with lots of read-alouds. I love the BFIAR booklist but can't stand the format of the guide. (I like a schedule with boxes to check off, not wordy paragraphs to read through.) The SL P3/4 book list would also be great to start, although some of the books might be a little long for a 2.5yo.

I have used Little Hands to Heaven for 2 of my children at age 3 and they loved it. I now also have Animal Play from http://teachmejoy.com.

Dusty Bug, that is totally what I was trying to remember...teach me joy . I looked at her stuff months ago for my son and could not for the life of me remember what the web address was! Thanks! I like it.

I bought her $30 worth of educational fun things today (which is a lot for us right now). Lauri stacker smart shapes, abc playdough kit, and ABC matching letters. So far she loves the lauri kit, I haven't give her the rest.

Thank you for all the posts. I do like much of HOD early years but not interested in all how they do everything and it's a lot right now. Maybe next year.

I have been using one blus one plus one for my son with calendar connections we love those.

My two-year-old's favorite activity involves what I call "puffballs" and your local craft store calls "pom poms." I got a bag of assorted colors in large, grabbed an empty margarine tub, cut circles the size of dimes in the lid, and now my son has fun stuffing the puffballs into the tub. I also have three colored baskets that match some of the pompoms, and he can sort out those three colors into the correct baskets. I guess he could also move onto moving them from bowl to bowl with a plastic spoon, but so far that sounds a little delicate for him. (My son is a typical, meaning "no fine motor skills," boy.) All of this I think I got from Delicious Ambiguity, except for the colored baskets, which came three for a dollar at the dollar store. (It was total

I love the puff ball idea. She would like that and it's cheap.

Also, more free stuff for when your child reaches three:

• Bible and Rhyme, from Hubbard's Cupboard. Unlike all my other suggestions, this one actually is a lesson plan.