Menu

Ideas for a King Arthur literature study

What works would you include if you wanted to do a semester of Arthurian study?

At first look I would include

The Once and Future King

Some of Malory's Work

some from Chrétien de Troyes

some from The History of the Kings of Britain

Faerie Queen

Gawain and the Green Knights

Some Idylls of the King

The Mabinogion

I also found these books which look interesting.

King Arthur: Myth-Making

Concepts of Arthur

Has anyone done a study like this?

We have not made what I would call a study of King Arthur, but we are reading some on the subject as part of a medieval literature study this year. DS and I have really enjoyed reading Geoffrey of Monmouth's Histories of the Kings of Britain. It is considered a primary source for the Arthurian legend, and I highly recommend it to anyone studying Arthur.

The version we are using is published by Forgotten Books and was translated by Sebastian Evans. It contains the old-English language, which has been really fun to read.

There's a TTC series on Medieval England that stops every so often to review where the Arthur story in at. She talks about the French language in England literature, the influence of the ulture of courtly love, and just generally is very knowledgeable on the topic of Arthur. It's by Prof. Paxton.

We have not made what I would call a study of King Arthur, but we are reading some on the subject as part of a medieval literature study this year. DS and I have really enjoyed reading Geoffrey of Monmouth's Histories of the Kings of Britain. It is considered a primary source for the Arthurian legend, and I highly recommend it to anyone studying Arthur.

The version we are using is published by Forgotten Books and was translated by Sebastian Evans. It contains the old-English language, which has been really fun to read. An example from the text: Arthur "took unto him a wife born of a noble Roman family, Guenevere, who, brought up and nurtured in the household of Duke Cador, did surpass in beauty all the other dames of the island."

Thank you for the specific translation reference. It's so hard to determine which ones are good. Ds is developing an interest in linguistics.

There's a TTC series on Medieval England that stops every so often to review where the Arthur story in at. She talks about the French language in England literature, the influence of the ulture of courtly love, and just generally is very knowledgeable on the topic of Arthur. It's by Prof. Paxton.

:lol::lol: I so have get that one, thank you. Ds gets twitchy over all the French influence into English, it's become a running joke this year. I've looked at several TTC lectures on the time period, this one sounds perfect.

My current library read is "The Mammoth Book of King Arthur" by Mike Ashley. Just started it. I am only three chapters in but so far really interesting.

I started reading it with a thought to developing a literature/historical study. Please keep us posted on what you decide. So far you resources look great.

That sounds so good, but it is out of my budget.

Our library has a few TTC DVDs, but not many. Do you know if you can ILL them?

I recently bought "The Search for King Arthur" by David Day. We haven't read it yet, but it looks lovely.

My current library read is "The Mammoth Book of King Arthur" by Mike Ashley. Just started it. I am only three chapters in but so far really interesting.

I started reading it with a thought to developing a literature/historical study. Please keep us posted on what you decide. So far you resources look great.

Thank you, I'll check that out.

I recently bought "The Search for King Arthur" by David Day. We haven't read it yet, but it looks lovely.

The lectures go on sale quite often. If you sign up for e-mail alerts and catalogs, well, they'll tempt you with sales. :D

My ds is currently reading the David Day book. I really enjoyed it too.

Edited by elegantlion

I imagine it's different at each library. Our library in Minnesota will do ILL on these. In fact, that's what I did for this set.

However, mine arrived in 3 pieces, and the first section was not the first piece to arrive (and I had to watch them as they arrived, because they are not renewable). Oh well, review is good, eh?! There was a plus - this time the set arrived along with the outline booklet (which is not always there). I think it was a newer set, very clean and shiny, so the booklet hadn't been lost yet :)

I vastly prefer to purchase, for all of these reasons. But alas, funds are not unlimited...

Julie

We aren't doing an Arthur-specific study, but our year this year has included/will include:

The Mabinogion

Gawain and the Green Knight

The Once and Future King

one story from the Malory translation

one story from the Keith Baines translation

The Faerie Queen

Dd read these and really loved them:

The Song of Taliesin: Stories and Poems From the Broceliande by John Matthews

http://www.amazon.com/The-Song-Taliesin-Stories-Broceliande/dp/1855381141/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336261393&sr=1-3

(If it helps...Eliana recommended this one and we love her choices...)

Mabinogion by S. Davies (I think this is the right spelling...)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mabinogion-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0192832425

Mabon and the Guardians of Celtic Britain by C. Matthews (wife to John above)

She used this book as a guide to reading the Mabinogion.

http://www.amazon.com/Mabon-Guardians-Celtic-Britain-Mabinogion/dp/0892819200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336262613&sr=1-1

On the Trail of Merlin: A Guidebook to the Western Mystery Tradition by Rich and Begg (This has a geography feel to it.)

http://www.amazon.com/On-Trail-Merlin-Mystery-Tradition/dp/0850309395/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336262674&sr=1-1

New Light on the Ancient Mystery of Glastonbury by John Michell (She has not read this one yet.)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Light-Ancient-Mystery-Glastonbury/dp/0906362156/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336262713&sr=1-1

She said that some of the books she has listed above she found in the back of the this book:

How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books by Joan Bodger (She loved this one too.)

This book has notes on further reading at the end and includes suggestions for King Arthur reading. This is where she found the titles by John Michell and Rich and Begg.

Edited by Kfamily

Paula, I think you have more than enough material to make a great study. From what I remember of your son, I am guessing that he will be delighted with Once and Future King. If you have time this summer, read Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset. It is a very different look at "Arthur" and would make a solid contrast to Malory's Arthur.

I had read the Mabinogion long ago, and I had to go look it up because I did not remember the Arthurian references at all. What I learned was they only appear in two tales in Lady Guest's collection: Culhwch ac Olwen (Culhwch and Olwen) and Breuddwyd Rhonabwy (The Dream of Rhonabwy). Depending on your time you may wish to only read those. What I had read included only the four branches which don't refer to Arthur.

You might also consider the Mary Stewart series.

AND there have been some science fiction and fantasy adaptions of the Arthurian legend. Probably the best known is The Mists of Avalon, but there are others. I remember reading an Andre Norton novel on Arthur and I found a collection of stories: http://www.amazon.com/The-Pendragon-Chronicles-Heroic-Fantasy/dp/0517093715

Black Horses for the King (Anne McAffrey) sets the Arthur story in the tribal dark ages, not the high middle ages of Malory.

Laura

That is what I used with my youngest last year for 7th grade. The Sword at Sunset is the adult version with Arthur as one of the last chieftains trying to stem the tide of invaders after Rome removes its troops from Britain. I have used both books to show how an event or person with an historical base can be adapted to meet the needs and standards of various centuries and cultures.

My students were already familiar with Arthur through popular culture so our basic progression moved from:

1. Black Horses/Sword at Sunset - late 500's

2. Malory - high middle ages

3. Once and Future King - high middle ages twisted with post WW1/pre WWII

Side note: If you have access to back copies of National Geographic, your son may enjoy the November 2011 issue with the article "Magical Mystery Treasure." It is about the "Staffordshire Hoard" find dating from the late seventh century. Amazing photos.