Menu

Amelia Bedelia for boys?

Have any of your boys enjoyed the Amelia Bedelia books? Costco has a few sets of easy readers, and I grabbed the Marley dog ones but just automatically skipped the others. Perhaps I should reconsider? I remember reading the Little Critter books. I also read the Berenstain bears books, but after the recent discussion I skipped those.

I don't see why not - my boys like books that have either male or female protagonists, especially if they are funny. The only "girly" books they dislike are the horrible princess ones, or anything that has pink displayed prominently on the cover.

Actually, now that you mention Amelia Bedelia, I'm gonna have to get a few of those for them - I think they'd love them because they are so ridiculous.

My boys liked them, though they weren't their favorites.

They liked all the Cynthia Rylant series - Poppleton, Henry and Mudge, High Rise Private Eyes, Mr. Putter & Tabby - better. And the Mouse and Mole and Dodsworth books too.

Both my boys loved them, but they are puns, so I think they can go over the heads of little ones if they are too young and don't have enough life experience to get it. We tried them when ds was 4, and he didn't get it at all. We dropped them for a couple of years, came back to them when he was 6, and then they made all the sense in the world and were hysterical. IMO, they are not so much of a reading level choice, as an age-based choice.

Both my boys loved them, but they are puns, so I think they can go over the heads of little ones if they are too young and don't have enough life experience to get it. We tried them when ds was 4, and he didn't get it at all. We dropped them for a couple of years, came back to them when he was 6, and then they made all the sense in the world and were hysterical. IMO, they are not so much of a reading level choice, as an age-based choice.

Hmmm... fascinating insight. Might have to skip them then, because my little man is just barely 4.

My 6 year old LOVED Amelia Bedelia and he was just a bit older than 4 when he started to read them. He thinks they're hilarious and even still likes to pick them up for a quick read and a good laugh. But he is the type that just adores word play and puns anywhere he can find them and frequently comes up with his own.

My almost 4 year old likes them too but she doesn't QUITE get all the puns just yet. She gets a few of them but still she likes them and I'm sure she'll grow into loving them even more once she gets all the puns.

I say get them :)