Menu

What do we need for SAT this Saturday

Extra batteries for the calculator, your homeschool code, drink/snacks, a light cardigan sweater or zippered sweatshirt - easy to put on and take off - in case it's chilly in the room, a good larger eraser in case she has to erase a larger area quickly, oh also photo ID. And a pencil sharpener.

We are registered and have admissions ticket printed. I know dd needs calc and #2 pencils but anything else she may need to have or perhaps "know" as far as filling things out etc?

Dd tested at the local high school. They were very strict about the no cell phone rule and were checking in student phones at the entrance.

Bring a snack and water/drink.

I wish I had realized before how helpful the helpers at the doors would be. They were relaxed, kind, and truly willing to help. I was thinking TEST and that everyone would be very rigid.

Also, a boy in dd's room did not return to the classroom on time and was barred, unable to take the remainder of the test. Remind your student to pay attention when the administrators call them back to the classroom. (This boy wouldn't stop talking to a friend outside the room.)

If she hasn't taken the test before or practiced filling out the form, you might want to print a free sample test and at least have her fill in page 3. The form can be overwhelming if the child hasn't seen it before. The folks who are proctoring the test take the kids through it, but all of mine felt more confident knowing what to expect ahead of time. :001_smile:

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-practice-test

Click on the free printable test file.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

If she hasn't taken the test before or practiced filling out the form, you might want to print a free sample test and at least have her fill in page 3. The form can be overwhelming if the child hasn't seen it before. The folks who are proctoring the test take the kids through it, but all of mine felt more confident knowing what to expect ahead of time. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I was planning on looking for exactly this link today. It's practice day at our house. (I think I'm the nervous one. Silly me.)

Thanks for the answers thus far. She is taking the SAT at the local high school. I think I may have enterered that code on the application.

Does it matter if it ends up being their code and not a homeschool code?

Do we want to send scores or will they come to us first and then we choose who we want to send it to when we are ready?

Kathy

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

The section to fill out in cursive is in the practice test in the answer sheet section (after section 10).

FWIW, the practice test does not seem to have a section 3.

Also, I think that Khan Academy has all of the math problems worked out under the topic SAT practice test.

Thanks for the answers thus far. She is taking the SAT at the local high school. I think I may have enterered that code on the application.

Does it matter if it ends up being their code and not a homeschool code?

Do we want to send scores or will they come to us first and then we choose who we want to send it to when we are ready?

Kathy

Check your dd's admission ticket to see what school code is printed on it--that will be the school code that you entered during registration, and it will be the school code that College Board will use when it sends the score report (your dd will not be asked to enter a school code again on her forms at the actual test--she'll only be asked to enter her registration number.)

If your admission ticket does not say 97000 for the school code, then I do think you should contact the College Board and get it changed. Otherwise, your dd's score report may not get sent to you directly--you may have to go back to the school to get it. I had to contact the College Board a few years ago regarding the school code because at that time their online registration system didn't have a way to enter the 97000. They were very friendly and helpful. I'm sure they can change the code for you and email you a corrected admission ticket.

As far as sending scores to colleges, you do not have to do this now. You can wait and send your scores later, although there is a fee then. If you already know you want these particular scores to go to a particular college, and application deadlines are looming, then it saves time and money to take advantage of the free service to have them sent. Otherwise, you can just wait until you know for sure where you want to send them. (We wait until college application time and have them sent then.)

The actual test administration has an experimental section. There is no way to know which section is the experimental section, but it's important for your kids to know that it exists. If they find one section has questions that are outrageously more difficult than they are used to, don't panic. They may just be testing questions/concepts. The experimental section doesn't count toward the student's score. They leave it out of the prep materials.

Peace,

Janice

The actual test administration has an experimental section. There is no way to know which section is the experimental section, but it's important for your kids to know that it exists. If they find one section has questions that are outrageously more difficult than they are used to, don't panic. They may just be testing questions/concepts. The experimental section doesn't count toward the student's score. They leave it out of the prep materials.

Peace,

Janice

Good point, Janice! Another thing for your dc to be aware of is that students in the same room will have different forms of the test. The sections are all the same length, but may be in a different order--some students could be doing a reading test while others are doing a math test. So tell your dc not to be thrown if they're doing a reading test and everyone around them seems to be pulling out a calculator!

According to my daughter the part that caused the most confusion for the majority of kids in her testing room was the cursive portion.

She had back up pencils, eraser, calculator, id, a sweat shirt, watch (with no alarm or calculator), and her admission ticket. I think she may have tucked a snack in her purse and possibly tissues.

Best of luck everyone!

According to my daughter the part that caused the most confusion for the majority of kids in her testing room was the cursive portion.

This is exactly what my son said about the test he took in March.

Along with all the good suggestions you already received, I just want to add a plug for a good breakfast. When ds took the SAT he said the coordinators were pretty disorganized and it took a long time before they even started. He ended up not eating any of his snacks because it was inconvenient and there wasn't enough time (for him--this might just be a personality quirk with him but he doesn't like scarfing down his food and that's what he felt he'd have to do). By the time he got out of testing it was about 1:30 pm and he was really hungry. Fortunately he'd had a decent breakfast that day.

We homeschool under a homeschool association per our state law, and put the association's code instead of the homeschool code. You don't have to have scores mailed, you can do the online option. Then our homeschool association gets the scores (so they can put them on the transcript) and dd can find her scores online.

She had back up pencils, eraser, calculator, id, a sweat shirt, watch (with no alarm or calculator), and her admission ticket. I think she may have tucked a snack in her purse and possibly tissues.

Best of luck everyone!

So were the proctors actually walking around and checking that this was in cursive?

Reminds me of when my mil had to teach dh how to skip so he could pass kindergarten.

What do they do with all of the students whose schools no longer teach cursive?

So were the proctors actually walking around and checking that this was in cursive?

Reminds me of when my mil had to teach dh how to skip so he could pass kindergarten.

What do they do with all of the students whose schools no longer teach cursive?

She says the proctors remained at the front of the room. They instructed the students to complete that part in "their best non-manuscript writing" and that they said you needed to write that statement and sign it (signature had to be in cursive) or your test wouldn't be graded.

I thought I remembered she said that they told the kids to find a way to join the letters to resemble cursive but she no longer remembers this statement.

I have no idea what they do with those kids that never learn cursive but she was surprised at how much this one aspect of the test upset the other kids and how much discussion of the rules it caused on test day.

Depending on your location, a state ID might be very easy to get. When we were in NC we got one for DS, and it took about 20 minutes and $10 or so. We've since moved to OH, and got him a new card when I got my drivers license. It took maybe ten minutes and $8.50

I've heard of places where it's a 4-6 week wait for the thing to be mailed, but it may be worth checking whether it's not so bad where you are. People are always surprised that DS has a real ID (he has had it since he was nine, and a nine year old with ID is quite a novelty! LOL) but it has seriously come in handy many many times - not just for exams, but for travel, proof of address for a new library card, proof of age for reduced bus fare, checking into federal buildings for tours.... it comes out about once a month for something or other!

How did you contact them?

Do you mean how did I contact the College Board? (A few posts went up between mine and this one :001_smile:) I just called them. I don't remember how I found the phone number back then (that was nearly 4 years ago), but I just now looked at their website and it's very easy to find. From the collegeboard.org home page, just click Contact Info (at the bottom), then click SAT Program on the next screen, and then Contact information for students and parents and they give you the phone number, email contact, etc.