Menu

National Mythology Exam results have arrived!!

Halcyon

So...how did you prep for the exam? I would like my daughter to take it next year.

We got the prep packet from Teaching the Classics, but to be honest we didnt do all of it. We read a lot, did some of the worksheets, read more. He took the main test and the sub test on the Underworld, fwiw.

So...how did you prep for the exam? I would like my daughter to take it next year.

Each year ETC puts out a bibliography. It seems that the core 30 questions that everyone has to take is always based on the same initial section of d'Auilaire's Greek Mythology book. So you could look at this years biblio and get started there.

Then each year there is a 10 question subtest on a specific topic in Greek mythology. The Underworld, Ancient Beginnings, Heracles, etc.

There are also subtests on The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Norse Mythology, Native American Mythology and African Mythology. Each year the specific sections being tested change.

Our experience with the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid subtests was that you really need to read the specific section under discussion and in a full text. A retelling didn't give enough info to answer the questions in these sections.

Usually the new bibliography is out by the beginning of the school year.

I once ordered some of the extra material from ETC for the mythology exam. But it's mostly sat on the shelf. I think it would be great for classroom use or fun supplemental use. But the books from the bibliography are plenty to pass the test on.