Menu

Rod and Staff English users....

michaeljenn

I am wondering if anyone JUST uses the worksheet? Or, does anyone JUST uses the textbook? Of course my kids would love to use the worksheets because it is much less writing... but, I feel like the skills will be cemented into their mind better if they write it out more.

Opinions? Experiences?

My son prefers the worksheets, so when there's a worksheet he'll do that. On days where there aren't worksheets, he does the book work. We always go over the oral exercises together. I don't have him do both the book and the worksheet because I think it's overkill. If he's having a hard time understanding a concept I'll have him do both the book and the worksheet, but that rarely, if ever, happens. I haven't had any problems with him not retaining a concept either.

Hope this helps!

do the worksheets and textbook.

As I added more dc to the mix, I began doing the text orally, and assign worksheets for added practice.

Now, for my olders, they do the text and I assign the worksheets only if they get a lot wrong.

My 3rd grader does not do the worksheets at all. As the difficulty increases, she may need more practice.

You will probably have to play around until you figure out what works for your dc.

The lessons are in the textbook. (Imho, the teacher's manual is also necessary because the oral drill brings a necessary repetition to the program.) Without the lessons, the worksheets would be meaningless. Also, some lessons do not have worksheets that correspond to them. I used the worksheets one year and found that they were not needed at all. Every once in a while, it was nice to have the corresponding worksheet. It wasn't often enough that I ever purchased them again. I'm in total agreement with you on the writing it out. It does cement it in their minds. That and, well, mine need that extra writing practice. I tend to let them weasel out of physically writing things a lot.

I use the book and the worksheets with my dd (3rd grade). She tends to need the extra practice and doesn't, at that level, mind the extra work. She usually does the lesson and book work one day. The next morning she does the worksheet (if there is one) for reinforcement on her own. When she is done and all work is complete and corrected we move on to the next lesson.

My ds (6th) just switched to R&S from Shurley this year and there is quite a lot more work for him (he does not like work). I have let him do the book lesson one day - lesson and oral practice with me & written work on his own. If there is a worksheet he does that the next day and we do not go on to the next lesson. It takes longer to get through the book but he looks at worksheet days as an "easy" day and it makes all the writing on the other days not so bad in his world. He needs the practice writing things out. He has always been a poor speller and he is really improving because of all the copying he must do in R&S.

I hope this was helpful to you. You really have to adjust what you do to the child.

I don't think I made myself clear in the origional post:lol: By using the worksheets only, I meant that they would read the lesson in the text, then do a worksheet if there was one for the lesson. I am wondering if it is better to have them actually use the exercises in the text versus the ones on the worksheet. Does that make sense?:001_smile:

The consensus seems to be to do the exercises in the text and reserve the worksheets for further practice if the student is struggling.

Sorry for the confusion:) I am really bad about making sense sometimes:tongue_smilie: I guess I need to work on Rod and Staff English myself. Then I can write elegant posts that will get lots of reps and get another green bar!!!:lol::lol::lol: Just joking;)

This is exactly what we've done for the past two years, and so far, so good!

Same here!!

He does most of the work in the textbook orally, fills out the worksheet (if there is one) and he does all of the writing assignments on paper (if it's a writing assignment lesson)