Menu

Language Arts for 1st grade?

Familyties

I am looking for a language arts curr for my rising 1st grader. He is fluently reading so I don't necessarily need the reading/phonics portion (we use Abeka for phonics). I am more or less looking for a curr that includes sentence structure, ending marks, etc. If you have any that you like, please share it with me! TIA

The next time I do first grade this is what I am going to use:

Grammar--CLE LA (with phonics exercises deleted), and then Language Smarts workbook (from the Critical Thinking Co.)

Spelling--Spelling Power

Composition--Winning With Writing 2, and WWE1

Reading--books at a challenging reading level

Reading Comprehension--Skill Sharpeners Reading grade 2 (Evan Moor)

Handwriting--A Reason for Handwriting

I am looking for a language arts curr for my rising 1st grader. He is fluently reading so I don't necessarily need the reading/phonics portion (we use Abeka for phonics). I am more or less looking for a curr that includes sentence structure, ending marks, etc.

My first grader was similar to yours, in that she was reading fluently ahead of starting our first grade curriculum. I used and enjoyed:

Grammar: FLL 2 (I found that her reading level made it more appropriate for us to do FLL1 in the latter part of her K5 year, skipping repetitive lessons. FLL2 has been a good fit for her this year.)

Spelling: AAS

Writing: WWE1 (I just posted a review of using WWE1 - in short, I found that this program was gentle but VERY effective in helping her learn how to construct a sentence.)

Other than that, I asked her to read an assigned book 20 - 30 minutes a day. For those times, I chose books that would challenge her reading level. In "just for fun" reading times (about 30 min - 1 hr a day), she could choose anything she wanted.

The next time I do first grade this is what I am going to use:

Grammar--CLE LA (with phonics exercises deleted), and then Language Smarts workbook (from the Critical Thinking Co.)

Spelling--Spelling Power

Composition--Winning With Writing 2, and WWE1

Reading--books at a challenging reading level

Reading Comprehension--Skill Sharpeners Reading grade 2 (Evan Moor)

Handwriting--A Reason for Handwriting

Just wanted to know if there is a reason you use two writing programmes and also how you go about using both? I have WWE1 which I plan to start with my DD when she is ready but am wondering about adding in something else for other styles of writing and just wanted opinions on people who did it and why (or why not if anyone else is reading this who didn't.) Thanks.