Menu

What is your favorite vocabulary book for 5th grade?

miracleone

I know many believe that vocabulary is better learned through reading and just finding the meaning to unfamiliar words.

If you think a vocabulary book is necessary, what do you use with your fifth grader?

I would like to start my search for one...if we should need it. Thank you.

How parent-intensive are you willing/able to do? We loved, loved, :001_wub: Michael Clay Thompson's Ceasar's English series but it is parent-intensive. I just switched my DD over to Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop series (I don't care for the looks of MCT's Word Within the Word books and DH swears by the VW ones for SAT prep).

VW isn't as engaging as CE but it can be done independently.

How parent-intensive are you willing/able to do? We loved, loved, :001_wub: Michael Clay Thompson's Ceasar's English series but it is parent-intensive. I just switched my DD over to Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop series (I don't care for the looks of MCT's Word Within the Word books and DH swears by the VW ones for SAT prep).

VW isn't as engaging as CE but it can be done independently.

:iagree: Yes! For fifth grade, I chose the 6th grade book. The student can work independently and if your own vocabulary is strong, you won't need a teacher's manual. I prefer MCT, but always head back to Sadlier when something in my schedule has to give and ds needs more independent work.

If I am correct, Vocabulary Workshop just focuses on vocabulary and Caesar's English is more about root words, right? Is there anything that have both components? I looked at both of them and liked them but know that I should only choose one. Thank you for your help!

If I am correct, Vocabulary Workshop just focuses on vocabulary and Caesar's English is more about root words, right? Is there anything that have both components? I looked at both of them and liked them but know that I should only choose one. Thank you for your help!

VW does focus almost exclusively on vocabulary words (with some *very* minimal root study) but CE is 50/50 roots vs. words. The odd lessons are roots and the even ones words.

Oh, thank you! Gosh, it's hard to choose. We're just starting with HOD CtC now and I heard that there's some vocabulary study in it. Crimson Wife, what do you use for your 4th grader going 5th?

LA is her strong suit so she is accelerated in that subject. She finished up CE 2 last semester and just started VW B. We do a "loop" schedule for LA and I don't always have the same mix of programs in the loop hence the gap.

If I get the student book of CE, do I need the teacher's manual too? I like the fact that it has "root words" included because we have not done any kind like this yet. Do I need to add English from the Roots up or CE can be used alone. Thank you so much!

Edited by miracleone
changed question

If I get the student book of CE, do I need the teacher's manual too? I like the fact that it has "root words" included because we have not done any kind like this yet. Do I need to add English from the Roots up or CE can be used alone. Thank you so much!

Caesar's English ROCKS!!!:D It has got a lot going on, way more than just vocabulary, particularly with new Classical edition.

If you get the standard version, you just need the TM. You don't need a separate student book, it isn't consumable. The answers to the analogies and such are in the back of the book, so it doesn't interfere with the student's use of the book.

If you get the Classical version, and you are confident with your own vocab skills and mastery of things like analogies with this vocabulary, you could just get the Student book. The TM has the answers bolded in the text, so it doesn't really work that well to use with your student, unless you are just doing it orally. I got the TM first, realized I needed the Student book and got it, but now see I could have gotten by just with the Student book. The TM does have pretests/postests and some other features, but you could live without it if $$ is an issue.

Another fan of Vocabulary Workshop here. (Apparently not a fan of complete sentences :lol:).

I actually used this series when I was in middle school, and absolutely loved it. DS11 is now getting a lot out of it. I love that it highlights shades of meaning, and works on analogies, synonyms, and antonyms, as well as fill in the blank type exercises. Yes, these drills will help on the SAT, but thinking through synonyms and antonyms with slightly different shades of meaning helps with writing skills, too.

I am liking both now which one should I start with first, MCT CE or VW for a rising 5th grader? I want her to learn root words and vocabulary. We're also using R&S spelling with HOD.

Are these available at Rainbow Resource? Where did you buy these? Thank you!

Edited by miracleone

Wordly Wise 3000 5th Grade. It seemed like kind of a pain to push my artsy girl to do, but her ITBS score jumped from 5th grade (before she used it and when she tested as a 4th grader) to 10th grade (after just that one year, when she tested as a 5th grader). So that was enough for us to use it again this year :) and have our younger children begin. (They all just came out of public school)

Edited by rocketgirl

I am liking both now which one should I start with first, MCT CE or VW for a rising 5th grader? I want her to learn root words and vocabulary. We're also using R&S spelling with HOD.

Are these available at Rainbow Resource? Where did you buy these? Thank you!

I personally start my kids with MCT and then do VW after they finish CE2. CE you have to purchase directly from Royal Fireworks Press if you want it new. VW is available from Sadlier-Oxford, Kolbe, or used.

Thank you all for your response. It seemed like CE wins. I just have to justify that it will be worth paying $60 for the student and the implementation books. TWTM suggested Vocabulary from Classical Roots, is that one not so great? (Amazon has pretty good reviews plus it's cheaper, that's why I asked.) Thanks again!

Thank you all for your response. It seemed like CE wins. I just have to justify that it will be worth paying $60 for the student and the implementation books. TWTM suggested Vocabulary from Classical Roots, is that one not so great? (Amazon has pretty good reviews plus it's cheaper, that's why I asked.) Thanks again!

I have used both CE and VfCR and CE wins hands down.

Can you kindly explain why? Is it too parent-intensive (as what others say)?

CE wins because the structure of it actually makes it so the kid is likely to internalize the words and roots that are taught. He only gives 5 roots or words in each lesson (so the kid actually has a chance to really remember each word) and then gives numerous examples of where the words occur in literature. In fact, he has picked the 100 most commonly occurring "classic words" to include in the books, which means that if your child is reading classic literature, he will encounter the words he is learning over and over (this happened to us on numerous occasions and it was always like finding a little treasure). Also, the tests are cumulative, so the kid needs to remember the words beyond test day, something that I've never found another resource to do.

VfCR, on the other hand, teaches roots and words containing those roots, but it is really just Wordly Wise with a root focus. It's not terrible, but it is just like every other vocabulary program out there. There are something like 3-5 roots and 15 words per lesson. There is no effort made to make the work or words meaningful. And it encourages the memorize and forget approach.

CE is parent intensive but VfCR does not need to be. I don't mind resources that require my time like CE does if they are helping me to do meaningful teaching. CE does just that.

(Now, I don't particularly like MCT's vocabulary program for older kids, Word Within the Word. There are way too many words and roots in each lesson and way too many lessons in the book for a kid to remember much of anything. My son's English teacher is using volume 3 this year, and as a "help" to them she has not required that they do cumulative tests. So every week is an agonizing process of memorizing 35 items and then forgetting them. MCT would do well to rework WWW to to make it more like CE.)

VocabuLit and Vocabulary Bridges are suiting us great now. :) Both are far enough away from the traditional workbook style to meet our desire for different.

I have used and can suggest English from the Roots Up, BJU Vocabulary, Wordly Wise, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots (preferred WW over this though).

Dd is just finishing 5th grade. We used Vocabulary Cartoons (Elementary) this year. She has had a blast with it and has had almost 100% retention! I am only disappointed that there is only one Elementary edition.

Just thought I would throw it out there since no one else mentioned it.

Dd is just finishing 5th grade. We used Vocabulary Cartoons (Elementary) this year. She has had a blast with it and has had almost 100% retention! I am only disappointed that there is only one Elementary edition.

Just thought I would throw it out there since no one else mentioned it.

Oh yes, we have that book and we liked it.

I've been watching this thread with interest because I'm also looking to add a vocab book for my rising 5th grader. :bigear:

I've been tempted by MCTs LA for a long time, but never used any of it. I hesitate because the samples don't give me enough to feel confident, and there isn't any way to see the books in person.

I'm curious about the comments that CE is parent intensive. I've looked at the samples, but don't see how the parent is expected to be involved. Would someone please expound on how they use CE?

Wait, so CE and VW look like they couldn't be more different!

If I were choosing the most effective method to build vocabulary, the trained teacher in me would choose CE.

However... the I-need-you-to-do-something-on-your-own mom in me, loves the look of VW. Plus, it looks like it lends itself to learning all of those school/testing skills. It could also serve as my dd's spelling program with all of the writing.

Those of you who have used VW, did your child retain the words?

VW does focus almost exclusively on vocabulary words (with some *very* minimal root study) but CE is 50/50 roots vs. words. The odd lessons are roots and the even ones words.

I asked almost the same question and this is Crimson Wife's answer.

I am still going back and forth about this because CE is quite expensive. We're on a budget; but just like all the homeschool moms here, we always want the best for our child. Decisions, decisions!

Edited by miracleone

Wait, so CE and VW look like they couldn't be more different!

If I were choosing the most effective method to build vocabulary, the trained teacher in me would choose CE.

However... the I-need-you-to-do-something-on-your-own mom in me, loves the look of VW. Plus, it looks like it lends itself to learning all of those school/testing skills. It could also serve as my dd's spelling program with all of the writing.

Those of you who have used VW, did your child retain the words?

I haven't used VW long enough to have personal experience with this issue, but I am making up flashcards to help with long-term retention.

Retention with CE 1 & 2 has been excellent FWIW.

I'm curious about the comments that CE is parent intensive. I've looked at the samples, but don't see how the parent is expected to be involved. Would someone please expound on how they use CE?

It's all taught via Socratic dialogue. The book is the jumping off point for discussion between the parent and the student. It's hard to explain but it makes sense when you're actually teaching it.

I've been watching this thread with interest because I'm also looking to add a vocab book for my rising 5th grader. :bigear:

I've been tempted by MCTs LA for a long time, but never used any of it. I hesitate because the samples don't give me enough to feel confident, and there isn't any way to see the books in person.

Somebody addressed this really well here in the past day or two, but I can't find the thread right now. Basically, I would say CE is parent-intensive in that the parent is meant to be *involved* - it is a read-together-and-discuss program. But it isn't prep-intensive or anything, which is how I think of "parent-intensive". I don't do anything to prep for the lesson - we pull out the book, and read it and talk about it. Almost all the exercises are oral, and you can do the cumulative quizzes orally to. So, it's not a hand-the-kid-the-book-and-walk-away type program, it's discursive/Socratic discussion based. So you are involved while they are doing it, but there is no prep time and no checking the workbook time afterwords, KWIM? Does this help?

We are using the Enhanced/Classical CE1, which was released in May. We do 1 lesson a week (there are 20 lessons), and usually take 2 days to do a lesson. There is a lot there - the words and definitions, analogies, antonyms, and grammar study using the words, examples of the words used in literature, and poems using the words. Oh, also a history of Julius Caesar, and spanish cognates of the words . . . and a word search. I think that's everything. It is a rich and deep vocabulary study. It works as a stand alone, but it also sinks its tendrils richly into all the other aspects of the MCT program - the grammar, writing, poetry, etc.

We adore CE, can you tell?;)

Somebody addressed this really well here in the past day or two, but I can't find the thread right now. Basically, I would say CE is parent-intensive in that the parent is meant to be *involved* - it is a read-together-and-discuss program. But it isn't prep-intensive or anything, which is how I think of "parent-intensive". I don't do anything to prep for the lesson - we pull out the book, and read it and talk about it. Almost all the exercises are oral, and you can do the cumulative quizzes orally to. So, it's not a hand-the-kid-the-book-and-walk-away type program, it's discursive/Socratic discussion based. So you are involved while they are doing it, but there is no prep time and no checking the workbook time afterwords, KWIM? Does this help?

We are using the Enhanced/Classical CE1, which was released in May. We do 1 lesson a week (there are 20 lessons), and usually take 2 days to do a lesson. There is a lot there - the words and definitions, analogies, antonyms, and grammar study using the words, examples of the words used in literature, and poems using the words. Oh, also a history of Julius Caesar, and spanish cognates of the words . . . and a word search. I think that's everything. It is a rich and deep vocabulary study. It works as a stand alone, but it also sinks its tendrils richly into all the other aspects of the MCT program - the grammar, writing, poetry, etc.

This is wonderful! Thanks! You've convinced me!

This was really helpful info - thanks! So does the TM guide the discussion in some way, or is it mostly an answer key?