Menu

BJU Life Science 7 in 6th grade-- is this doable? Or...

would you highly recommend against it?

Ds is very mathematically minded and a very strong student across the board. Originally, I was going to do BJU 6 (w/ dvds-- I want Mrs. Vick to teach him!) with him next year (he'll be 11.5 yo in the fall, 6th grade), but when I looked more closely at the subject matter, I was turned off-- simply b/c he's covered almost all that material this year in a co-op science class.

I've heard that Science 7 is excellent, but tough. Generally speaking, would it be over-the-top difficult for a strong 6th grader? Too much? Or a good challenge?

Any feedback would be tremendous!!

Also-- would 5th grade science (w/ dvds) be a good option? I haven't heard anything about the 5th grade dvd teacher-- any feedback there?

As far as content, all of my children loved it. My oldest was in 7th and her siblings in 5th and 2nd watched all of the DVDs with us. Investicus Questicus and Lab Rat were great fun for the younger two. (MY 7th grader sort of rolled her eyes at these.:001_smile:)

If you use BJU Life Science, it would work best if you go into it with the understanding that you will require work for only a 6th grade level (or what he is developmentally ready for.... and no more.)

Even in 7th grade, the tests were quite challenging, and dd took them as open book tests. For 6th grade, you might only use these for oral review. The text is written so that it can be outlined. You might consider outlining to be a goal to work on for your ds.

If you were to expect from a 6th grader everything that is intended for a 7th grader, your ds could become overwhelmed. If you are very flexible, it might work fine especially since he is science minded.

Keep it interesting and fun. If he begins to feel the pressure, make adjustments. You would hate for him to become turned off to science just from expecting too much.

Yes. My older son did BJU Life Science in 6th...very strong, mathematically-inclined, science-loving boy. It was one of the best courses we have done in all these years of homeschooling (did not use the dvds).

I plan to also use the course with my younger son, but I am waiting for his 7th grade year. He is more of a reader/dreamer/thinker. :)

Yes. My older son did BJU Life Science in 6th...very strong, mathematically-inclined, science-loving boy. It was one of the best courses we have done in all these years of homeschooling (did not use the dvds).

I plan to also use the course with my younger son, but I am waiting for his 7th grade year. He is more of a reader/dreamer/thinker. :)

Sorry to jump in in the middle, but... Morning Glory, what did you use after that? We, too, will finish up BJU Life Science at the end of 6th grade. It's been a good challenge, but I am at a loss where to go next. Physical in 7th, Biology in 8th?

Sorry to jump in in the middle, but... Morning Glory, what did you use after that? We, too, will finish up BJU Life Science at the end of 6th grade. It's been a good challenge, but I am at a loss where to go next. Physical in 7th, Biology in 8th?
We used the BJU Earth & Space in 7th, and now this son is finishing up 8th grade and on the last chapter of BJU's Physical Science.

The E&S was quite difficult. My son LOVED the astronomy and meteorology parts but kind of slogged through the geology parts. I know that BJU is releasing a new edition of E&S this year...one that is a bit more readable. That is a good thing! The tests are HARD (but good practice for things like the ACT because they typically have diagrams/graphs/etc. to analyze). I would highly recommend doing this course next.

Physical science has also been a challenge. I really think that my son could go into AP Physics B after this course (but I'm not going to do that) or possibly AP Chem (not doing that either). BJU's Physical Science is a THOROUGH introduction to chemistry and physics. Honestly, I think it is a mistake for BJU to even call it "physical science". Comparing it to Apologia's physical science is like comparing apples and oranges.

One thing about the physical science...a student really needs to have a firm grasp on basic algebra to be successful. There is a LOT of manipulating equations in the text...and some of these are quite complicated.

My son is outsourcing biology next year in 9th with a phenomenal local teacher. She uses the Abeka text beefed up with a myriad of in-depth labs. Her course is lab-centered, in fact. Anyway, I bought the Abeka text used from one of her former students and was looking through it last night. It seems the BJU Life Science covers cell theory more thoroughly than the Abeka biology. But the Abeka bio covers human anatomy more thoroughly. Regardless, I think my son's bio course is going to be a breeze after having done BJU Life (except for the labs...this teacher is famous for her lab report requirements...and I'm excited about that!!!).

Enough! :) I really like to talk about BJU's middle school science!

I actually think it would be great to do BJU Life in 6th. That way you can get Earth Science in 7th and Physical in 8th. We skipped Earth for both kids in order to do Physical in 9th. It isn't a huge loss because nothing in high school is dependent on it, at the same time, they really never get to cover that material.

So would it be too difficult for a child who hasn't done much note taking or outlining? DS is a little behind in writing, but I'm afraid he'd be bored with the 6th grade text. He's in 5th this year, but he's bright and has a fall b'day. (so older) I bumped him up in math and English in January and it's a much better fit. He loves science, but we've mostly unschooled it up until this point. (For middle school+ I want something more formal) I'd also like to get him a year early so that he can take an advanced science his senior year, if he'd like.

So would it be too difficult for a child who hasn't done much note taking or outlining? DS is a little behind in writing, but I'm afraid he'd be bored with the 6th grade text. He's in 5th this year, but he's bright and has a fall b'day. (so older) I bumped him up in math and English in January and it's a much better fit. He loves science, but we've mostly unschooled it up until this point. (For middle school+ I want something more formal) I'd also like to get him a year early so that he can take an advanced science his senior year, if he'd like.

In the beginning, then, I think note-taking might be difficult. In that case, make note-taking and learning to study part of the class.... do this via studying the life science.

He'll learn a lot just from watching the videos, but after the videos, you might have him write about what he thought was most interesting or most important in a notebook. A short paragraph would be fine.

Next, gradually have him start outlining in the book. Start with one section. The goal is to give him short, attainable goals so he can experience success. As this becomes easy, have him do more.

Introduce a vairety of study skills besides outlining. Some students take to outlining more easily than others. Think of using different graphic organizers that will help him pick the information out of the book and put it into his mind.

When we're trying to learn or do something impossible here, I remind my kids how to eat an elephant..... one bite at a time. Make some achievable goals, let him experience success, and increase the work as he progresses.

We did the BJU 7th and 8th grade texts when my dds were that age. That leaves 8th grade to do Physical Science, going into Biology in 9th, which is a good college prep sequence.

It's not so much the science background that's important, or even math yet at that point, but reading and testing/studying skills. We didn't do the videos, and I didn't make dc outline the book or take extensive notes. The lecture/discussion was plenty for them to retain everything.

Scuff, you never know till you try! I would never discourage someone from trying something they think is a reasonable fit based on samples and knowing their own child. Listening to board advice can get you in some real pickles. The samples are pretty reflective, so you can tell if it fits your kid or not. They are running a few deals now for signing up for 2 of the DLO (online/dvd) courses. The geography subject kit I just bought came with a sticker saying we could add the vidoes on for $99. Given that you have a baby coming, might be a good idea. :)

Lol yup! Sometimes this forum is as much a curse as it is a blessing. :) thanks for the reassurance. I think i'll work a little over the summer with outlining and notes from the 6th grade book. (bought i last year for a great deal used.)

Tell me more about the dvd deal. The only one I had heard about was for buying 6 subjects. I do want to do the dvds. As you noticed, I'm going to be quite busy this fall!