Menu

Ideas for house/organization issues!

I have been struggling with keeping my home cleaned and organized for years. I finally got a grip on it and then, we had another baby. My biggest blessing and curse is the size of my home. It's about 4000sqft (minimum) and three levels. I just can't seem to get to every level in a timely manner that makes sense. There have been times that six mos will pass before I get to the basement!:confused: That's crazy! I need a system (some fresh ideas) on how to organize each level so that it's as simple as going on that level and cleaning it. Currently, I find that I go to one level only to find that I don't have: cleaning supplies, vacuum, etc...so, I get distracted and find that the work just never seems to get done.

For those of you in a situation like this, what have you found the most helpful?How do you make it work? All of our bedrooms are on the top level, living,kitchen, guest room and full bath all are the main, we have a finished basement with a family room, full bath and guest bed room. So, every level has at least one full bath, living area and bedroom.

Any creative ideas that I'm not thinking of that can help me out? I know that I can organize my cleaning supplies and keep one container on each level. I can also do that with garbage bags. Anything else that could be helpful? In time, I want to get an inexpensive vacuum to keep in the basement so that I don't have to lug the dyson from level to level.

I also thought about a cleaning person...but, I just don't feel comfortable with having someone in my home like that. I just don't think I'll ever be comfortable with that. I prefer to do it myself. I'm the weird kind of person that would clean before the cleaning lady got here!! :confused:

That is a lot of square footage to clean. I think I would look into Flylady if you haven't already. I never strictly followed her plan but it did give me some great ideas. She advocates assigning zones each week. Even though that is in addition to a weekly cleaning routine it might help to get everything clean. You could decide that Mondays could be the top floor, Tuesdays the middle, etc.

I think you will have to be creative and get older children to help.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

keep cleaning items under each bathroom sink (just a basic cleaner for the bathrooms and maybe window cleaner). This way you'll have items you need on each level.

I think your idea for a smaller vacuum in the basement is a good one if you have storage space for it.

My focus would be the main level on a daily basis. I'd certainly want to keep it clean and picked up since that is where visitors would come in. The kitchen is used daily, so it's likely getting cleaned regularly.

I'd pick one day a week to clean bathrooms, but I also wipe down the bathrooms when they are steamy after a bath, which keeps them looking a bit fresher. I use a towel that's destined for the washer anyway. While its all steamy/damp I find you can easily wipe down mirrors, get toothpaste and other residue cleaned out of the sinks, wipe off the back and lid of the toilet, etc.

The guest room needs freshened and cleaned on as as-needed basis IMO. Freshen it when company is coming. Otherwise, dust it every other time you dust, wash sheets monthly, etc.

I sweep living areas daily, mornings or evenings, depending on what's going on. We have no carpet downstairs at all. You may want to sweep tile areas daily, and run the vacuum every other day on your main floor. Bedrooms could be vacuumed every few days - once a week, depending on need.

I don't dust often enough because I get sinus-y every time, but I'd have one of my kiddos dust obvious items once/week; less obvious items less often, obviously. :tongue_smilie:

You might do a set of sheets one day each week so that all beds get done every week. Or, if that's not necessary in your home, do yours weekly or bi-weekly, and the ones on the kids' beds as needed, or theirs one day every other week, etc. Only you can decide how often they need to be done. Just make a plan that works and do them. I'd probably pick one bed a day and do that bed's linens, put them back on, etc., so I'd know all were done regularly.

I know I've probably missed a bunch of stuff, but these are things I can think of right off the top of my head. HTH.

I could have written your post word for word.... except for the part about getting it under control before the last baby, LOL. I am in denial about the basement. Mostly I pretend it's not there, LOL. And sometimes I imagine us rebuilding the house without the basement. (Can you tell I'm anti-basement?) Sorry, I am no help. I did splurge on cleaning help during my last pregnancy ~4 years ago, but as you said it is really inconvenient to have someone come in to do it. My only suggestion is to assign it to the kids. They can practice their cleaning skills in an area that matters less than the rest of the house and you can stop worrying about it not getting done. (Let me know if that works, LOL).

When there is too many things going on, I focus on the basics. A little bit of flylady ideals may help.

What about dividing each level up into 2. So 6 sections. You concentrate on your "section" for the day, and quick sweeping/wiping of main bath (which ever gets the messiest), kitchen and entry way. On the 7th Day Medium Cleaning of the Bathrooms and Kitchen.

So thats daily work. (i.e. quick vacuuming, picking up stuff, washing etc)

For your certain monthly charts include each level to take 1 1/2 weeks. For these you concentrate on the level for a certain amount of time a day. This is where you do the deeper cleaning (good vacuuming, dusting, cobwebs, thorough scrubbing). When doing deeper cleaning of an area that needs "lighter cleaning" (i.e. picking up stuff etc) I usually just plonk everything into a basket for when that room is next on my list, rather than trying to "do it all"

Then you have quarterly/yearly maintenance and chores, write all these out (servicing, windows, full fridge cleanout and defrost, cleaning vents etc etc) make sure if they are quaterly that its noted (x4 per year etc) Count up how many items, and divide by week/month, and then schedule those in.

I also have 5-15 minute timer stops (I don't usually end up using a timer, just "fill one bag/one basket etc") I have 3 of these a day (outside of the other stuff). 1. is for picking up any gross items (dirty socks, crumbs, other science experiment level stuff that seem to appear magically when children are around) 2. is for picking up laundry from all the rooms, I do a quick run, then plonk it in the laundry, and came back later (or do the laundry then, depending upon my time) 3. Is an extra period for just "checking" having a quick look through the rooms and collecting misc pieces. You'd be suprised what you can get done when you are "summarising" the whole house in 5 minutes rather than just concentrating on a 1m2 area.

This was always pretty similar to my actual schedule When I started getting sick (dx CFS) everything exploded, so I have been pretty much just trying to keep my head above water, so the main tips above helped. Also in the age of electronic convenience, I cheat and use those where ever I can (so, to me I'm happy to sit and craft stuff with kids when I hear the dishwasher, washing machine & dryer going all at once, because hey, its like 3 of me, doing my job ;) which earns me the right to a break and having some fun.)

Looking at flylady just for tips can be great (she tends to overwhelm a lot of people who actually do the whole thing, and many people can't afford to go through her "baby steps" as that tends to make the house slide dramatically in a larger household). Motivated Moms have a checklist chart, also available as an app on the iphone.

I have 3000 sq ft on one level and I can barely keep up without a baby!

I can't imagine having 1000 sq ft more and multiple levels.

The only I can think of that I do that might help is to have one of those Rubbermaid cleaning supply caddies filled with everything you need (except the vacuum) and carry that with you. Google cleaning caddie and you'll find one. They have them at Lowes.

Toilet brushes would be rather yucky to carry around, so have one per bathroom.

If you don't want to carry everything around, you could have bathroom cleaning supplies in each bathroom, furniture polish, glass cleaner, and rags/paper towels on each level. I don't use expensive cleaners, so this wouldn't be cost prohibitive for me (I use vinegar, water, Borax, etc.), but I don't mind carrying it all around.

As for the vacuuming, I have a Roomba and love her. I move her (Lola) around to different rooms and let her at it! She won't go off stairs or balconies (we tried to see if she'd fall off the dining room table, and nope! She does fine).

You could, feasibly, get one per level if you didn't want to have to move her around - but Roombas are so light it just isn't an issue.

Get new (and good) air filters - that will help with any dust issues.

Lastly, are there rooms that just aren't used that much? Or that you can temporarily close off while the baby is little to lessen the cleaning load? Do you have a "guest" or front bathroom that the kids shouldn't use - only people who show up a the house? If only guests use it, the bathroom will stay clean far longer.

Excellent ideas! thank you for sharing!

When there is too many things going on, I focus on the basics. A little bit of flylady ideals may help.

What about dividing each level up into 2. So 6 sections. You concentrate on your "section" for the day, and quick sweeping/wiping of main bath (which ever gets the messiest), kitchen and entry way. On the 7th Day Medium Cleaning of the Bathrooms and Kitchen.

So thats daily work. (i.e. quick vacuuming, picking up stuff, washing etc)

For your certain monthly charts include each level to take 1 1/2 weeks. For these you concentrate on the level for a certain amount of time a day. This is where you do the deeper cleaning (good vacuuming, dusting, cobwebs, thorough scrubbing). When doing deeper cleaning of an area that needs "lighter cleaning" (i.e. picking up stuff etc) I usually just plonk everything into a basket for when that room is next on my list, rather than trying to "do it all"

Then you have quarterly/yearly maintenance and chores, write all these out (servicing, windows, full fridge cleanout and defrost, cleaning vents etc etc) make sure if they are quaterly that its noted (x4 per year etc) Count up how many items, and divide by week/month, and then schedule those in.

I also have 5-15 minute timer stops (I don't usually end up using a timer, just "fill one bag/one basket etc") I have 3 of these a day (outside of the other stuff). 1. is for picking up any gross items (dirty socks, crumbs, other science experiment level stuff that seem to appear magically when children are around) 2. is for picking up laundry from all the rooms, I do a quick run, then plonk it in the laundry, and came back later (or do the laundry then, depending upon my time) 3. Is an extra period for just "checking" having a quick look through the rooms and collecting misc pieces. You'd be suprised what you can get done when you are "summarising" the whole house in 5 minutes rather than just concentrating on a 1m2 area.

This was always pretty similar to my actual schedule When I started getting sick (dx CFS) everything exploded, so I have been pretty much just trying to keep my head above water, so the main tips above helped. Also in the age of electronic convenience, I cheat and use those where ever I can (so, to me I'm happy to sit and craft stuff with kids when I hear the dishwasher, washing machine & dryer going all at once, because hey, its like 3 of me, doing my job ;) which earns me the right to a break and having some fun.)

Looking at flylady just for tips can be great (she tends to overwhelm a lot of people who actually do the whole thing, and many people can't afford to go through her "baby steps" as that tends to make the house slide dramatically in a larger household). Motivated Moms have a checklist chart, also available as an app on the iphone.