Menu

Calling Cajun cooks...

Funny, I lived in Louisiana for 42yrs and not once did I make authentic Louisiana cooking. Between my mom cooking them and being able to get the dishes anywhere you went made it seem unnecessary to make. This month (a little over a yr living in Iowa ) I have decided to cook my first batch of Red Beans and Rice and Gumbo. Both came out so good:001_smile:, now I want to try my hand at Jambalaya but need a recipe (my mom just used Zaterans box mix). Sadly it needs to be one I can substitute shrimp with sausage, chicken, or ham...ds is allergic to shell fish. Also a Rue recipe will be appreciated as well as other Cajun dishes.

I'm from Louisiana too! (Metairie and LaPlace)

Back when I was in the Army, I went back to LA to visit for Christmas and we ate at The Gumbo Shop and I bought the cook book. That's where I get my recipe for Jambalaya. And File Gumbo. And a yummy crawfish and pasta dish made with Tasso. There is some good stuff in there :)

http://www.amazon.com/Gumbo-Shop-Orleans-Restaurant-Cookbook/dp/0966863607

I"m from Louisiana - I don't make gumbo either because my mom always makes it! LOL!

I do however make jambalaya. A lot will depend on the kind of sausage you get. It might be hard in Iowa to get good smoked sausage that is seasoned properly for Jambalaya.

this is what I do: oh, most people use green bell pepper but I don't like those so I use red, or none at all.

chop one onion

3 tbsp or more minced garlic (you really can't have too much)

half chopped red bell pepper

saute that in oil of your choice until onions are pretty dark. You may want to start those first and add other seasonings in later so they don't overcook.

chop one lb of sausage and saute till desired texture.

add chicken pieces of your choice (chicken thighs make the best jambalaya!) and saute until good and brown. There should be a nice liquid in the bottom to give the rice flavor. Add desired amount of salt, pepper, and poutlry seasoning (the thyme in it is the key), and a couple of bay leaves.

Add two cups of water for every one cup of rice that you want. Simmer for at least thirty minutes, then raise temp to get a rolling boil. Once water is boiling add the rice, cover and simmer until done.

if you want to add Tony Chachere's or something like that to make it spicy you can, or tabasco sauce. I don't like hot food so I prefer seasoning rather than heat.

that cookbook looks good!

not a healthy one by any stretch, but it tastes excellent, and it is easy! Everyone I have ever made it for now cooks it regularly!

Brown whatever meat you want to use in an oven-safe Dutch oven (I do diced up chicken and a good, pork sausage). I probably use a pound total, maybe slightly more.

Dump in the following: 1 can Campbell's or equivalent size can cream of mushroom, 1 can Campbell's or equivalent size can French onion soup, and 1 can rotel tomatoes (original or mild if you are sensitive to a little kick).

Add 2 c raw, white rice. Mix and let it come to a slight bubble.

Turn off, cover tightly with foil, and put in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove, stir thoroughly, cover tightly again with foil, and put in oven for 30 more minutes.

Done! Serve with a salad, or whatever sides you like.

The key is just doing it slowly, and letting it get good and dark.

For a basic "recipe" just use one cooking spoon oil to one cooking spoon flour. Keep on a low-medium heat, stirring almost constantly. MUST HAVE seasonings ready to dump in (onion, bell pepper, celery) so that when it's good and dark, you can get them in to stop the darkening process and not burn the roux.

Once you have the veggies in and they sauté in the roux a few minutes, add water or broth (depending on what you're making). I start with a couple of cups, let it simmer down, and just add as needed until I get the gravy to the desired consistency. At that point I season with any dry seasonings, bouillion, etc. I'd then add meats, veggies, or whatever needs to go in the gravy. If I have something that doesn't need to cook long in the gravy (like shrimp or crawfish), I'd just let that gravy simmer a while first, then add the goodies!

I'm from Louisiana too! (Metairie and LaPlace)

Back when I was in the Army, I went back to LA to visit for Christmas and we ate at The Gumbo Shop and I bought the cook book. That's where I get my recipe for Jambalaya. And File Gumbo. And a yummy crawfish and pasta dish made with Tasso. There is some good stuff in there :)

http://www.amazon.com/Gumbo-Shop-Orleans-Restaurant-Cookbook/dp/0966863607

Grew up in Metairie (1968-1988)

just ordered the book from Amazon, thanks...we are craving LA food and this will give us lots of ideas.

I"m from Louisiana - I don't make gumbo either because my mom always makes it! LOL!

I do however make jambalaya. A lot will depend on the kind of sausage you get. It might be hard in Iowa to get good smoked sausage that is seasoned properly for Jambalaya.

this is what I do: oh, most people use green bell pepper but I don't like those so I use red, or none at all.

chop one onion

3 tbsp or more minced garlic (you really can't have too much)

half chopped red bell pepper

saute that in oil of your choice until onions are pretty dark. You may want to start those first and add other seasonings in later so they don't overcook.

chop one lb of sausage and saute till desired texture.

add chicken pieces of your choice (chicken thighs make the best jambalaya!) and saute until good and brown. There should be a nice liquid in the bottom to give the rice flavor. Add desired amount of salt, pepper, and poutlry seasoning (the thyme in it is the key), and a couple of bay leaves.

Add two cups of water for every one cup of rice that you want. Simmer for at least thirty minutes, then raise temp to get a rolling boil. Once water is boiling add the rice, cover and simmer until done.

if you want to add Tony Chachere's or something like that to make it spicy you can, or tabasco sauce. I don't like hot food so I prefer seasoning rather than heat.

that cookbook looks good!

We will try this this week. I have all the ingredients on hand. Thanks.

not a healthy one by any stretch, but it tastes excellent, and it is easy! Everyone I have ever made it for now cooks it regularly!

Brown whatever meat you want to use in an oven-safe Dutch oven (I do diced up chicken and a good, pork sausage). I probably use a pound total, maybe slightly more.

Dump in the following: 1 can Campbell's or equivalent size can cream of mushroom, 1 can Campbell's or equivalent size can French onion soup, and 1 can rotel tomatoes (original or mild if you are sensitive to a little kick).

Add 2 c raw, white rice. Mix and let it come to a slight bubble.

Turn off, cover tightly with foil, and put in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove, stir thoroughly, cover tightly again with foil, and put in oven for 30 more minutes.

Done! Serve with a salad, or whatever sides you like.

Trying this next time...we will have a jambalaya cook off between this recipe, the above and the one from the recipe book I ordered.

Thanks for the rue recipe...I never realized it was mainly flour and oil, figured it was some secret Cajun thing added.

Trying this next time...we will have a jambalaya cook off between this recipe, the above and the one from the recipe book I ordered.

Thanks for the rue recipe...I never realized it was mainly flour and oil, figured it was some secret Cajun thing added.

The secret ingredient is low and slow. It takes me a good hour to make a roux. You want it to get to be that nice dark caramel color before you add your veggies. I do it just like the above poster said...add veggies when it's nice and dark.

Oh, and NEVER stop stirring. You have to constantly stir it with a flat something. I use a 'roux spoon' that has a flat edge to it so you can scrape the bottom of the pan easily. If you stop stirring, you will burn it quickly. I sometimes get help from my family to give me breaks...lol

The secret ingredient is low and slow. It takes me a good hour to make a roux. You want it to get to be that nice dark caramel color before you add your veggies. I do it just like the above poster said...add veggies when it's nice and dark.

Oh, and NEVER stop stirring. You have to constantly stir it with a flat something. I use a 'roux spoon' that has a flat edge to it so you can scrape the bottom of the pan easily. If you stop stirring, you will burn it quickly. I sometimes get help from my family to give me breaks...lol

Got it...so the ingredients are few but the work is much. :001_smile:

You have to add File powder for authentic flavor. It is sassafrass leaf. There is no substitute. If you can find it look up Justin Wilson's old PBS show that is the real deal. He was a wild one.

Well, you either have regular gumbo, or file gumbo. Regular gumbo uses a roux and okra to thicken it, File gumbo uses file powder to thicken it. I don't think you normally put file into a gumbo made with a roux.

And yes, Justin WIlson was awesome :) We grew up watching him, I garontee! I used to throw my spaghetti on the wall, to see if it sticks, to see if it's done.... drove my mom bonkers cause I left it up there. :D

I always cook it on the stove top and use my seasoned roux paddle (a flat edged olive wood "spoon" that never ever goes in the dishwasher).

You don't have to make your roux dark dark all the time - you cook it to the color you want your gravy to be. Dark brown chicken stew, dark brown roux. Medium brown meatloaf gravy, medium brown roux. Cream gravy, light brown roux. I know a lot of Cajun cooks who make a big batch of roux to keep on hand, but I prefer a fresh custom batch for each dish.

I often make the roux in a separate pan and then stir it into the dish I have slow cooking on the stove.

And as for that gumbo file, y'all know that sassafras has to be picked at the right stage of the moon to be just right, dontcha? That's the way my old great aunt wrote in down, anyway!

I always cook it on the stove top and use my seasoned roux paddle (a flat edged olive wood "spoon" that never ever goes in the dishwasher).

You don't have to make your roux dark dark all the time - you cook it to the color you want your gravy to be. Dark brown chicken stew, dark brown roux. Medium brown meatloaf gravy, medium brown roux. Cream gravy, light brown roux. I know a lot of Cajun cooks who make a big batch of roux to keep on hand, but I prefer a fresh custom batch for each dish.

I often make the roux in a separate pan and then stir it into the dish I have slow cooking on the stove.

And as for that gumbo file, y'all know that sassafras has to be picked at the right stage of the moon to be just right, dontcha? That's the way my old great aunt wrote in down, anyway!

I heard that from somewhere....any woman who makes an infinite variety of roux deserves a crown. Roux is just a darn fine idea. I love that you have a roux paddle. Multipurpose as my mother says. I still have no wooden spoons around here as I was dumb enough to get mouthy when she had that spoon handy she thought nothing of a tap on the behind while cooking. Nothing caught her off guard in her prime fanny whacking days. Trust me I deserved it in spades!!:lol:

Ahh, Justin Wilson, such good memories.

I am taking lots of notes and writing down the recipes...thanks ladies.

Now to get my hand on a good muffalata sandwich.

Iowa...great place for corn (you have never eaten corn until you eat Iowa corn...there IS a difference) but to get basic Louisiana food supplies is a hunt. Catfish here is priced like caviar...I am embarrassed to say this to other Louisianians but I had to buy frozen fish. And to get Tony's is like a search for the golden ticket. I might need to hook up with someone who can supply me with goods.

Born and bred in Louisiana and lived in New Orleans- I make my gumbo with a roux and always add file'. Roux is a given for any gumbo. An okra gumbo does not have file', and a file' gumbo does not have okra.

Well, you either have regular gumbo, or file gumbo. Regular gumbo uses a roux and okra to thicken it, File gumbo uses file powder to thicken it. I don't think you normally put file into a gumbo made with a roux.

And yes, Justin WIlson was awesome :) We grew up watching him, I garontee! I used to throw my spaghetti on the wall, to see if it sticks, to see if it's done.... drove my mom bonkers cause I left it up there. :D

Now to get my hand on a good muffalata sandwich.

:thumbup:

When I was growing up, my father made the best muffalata sandwiches (down in southern Louisiana). Just thinking about it made my mouth water. Sadly, we only have "just OK" muffalata sandwiches in this area of Louisiana, but now that you mentioned it, even that sounds good.:D

Born and bred in Louisiana and lived in New Orleans- I make my gumbo with a roux and always add file'. Roux is a given for any gumbo. An okra gumbo does not have file', and a file' gumbo does not have okra.

We never mixed the two (roux and file).

My cookbook has a file gumbo, that does not have a roux, b/c the file thickens it.

It has a seafood gumbo that is only thickened with okra.

The rest are made from a roux.

But, to each her own :)

Ya'll ever made Vernon Roger's Black Eye Pea jambalaya? Oh it is soo good! I don't have that cookbook anymore. I think my sister gave me the recipe tho, I'll have to look for it. I believe it calls for tasso but I don't care for tasso so I use sausage.

My mom makes her chicken gumbo without a roux. She prefers a lighter gravy. I like it with or without roux, me. Not a fan of okra gumbo. We eat our chicken and sausage gumbo over potato salad. Not all regions in Louisiana eat it that way, but I can tell you if you don't, you're missing something divine! My Arkansas dh loves it!

My sister moved to Colorado and she will order some stuff from Amazon, or get one of us to send it. She makes one trip a year home and loads up on Louisiana seasonings and such. And usually brings home fish and sausage. Where I live we have store that makes jalapeno sausage, and jalapeno sausage cheese bread. Oh me, makes you want to swoon!

http://www.bourquespecialties.com/

For me, the roux provides flavor and color, not thickening. I did a search for file' gumbo, and couldn't find one that did not start with a roux. I found this description that matches my experience living in SW Louisiana and New Orleans. I do understand that other parts of the state may have different recipes.

http://www.chefrick.com/a-guide-to-great-gumbo/ "The first step with all gumbos is making a roux".

My cookbook has a file gumbo, that does not have a roux, b/c the file thickens it.

This is all so interesting! It's like listening to a foreign language :)

Except for the Tony Chacheres, we put that on almost everything we eat :D

well Louisiana IS like another world. LOL!

have you ever used Tabasco sauce.? not hot sauce, Tabasco sauce?

this stuff:

http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco-products/

there is nothing like it. That smoked chipotle, yum!

That's right, it's either file or okra, not both. But if you cook file gumbo in a big batch and add file to all of it, it can get really thick when you store it. So if I make a lot of gumbo and want to save some, I make the gumbo with a roux and when it's serving time I put the file powder on the table and let each person add it to taste, kwim? So it's more for flavor than a thickening agent (though it is good for that).

I like okra gumbo when I can order it by the bowl at a restaurant. :D I don't like to cook okra gumbo, I have trouble actually creating a perfect, non-slimy batch.

And never in a million years have I heard of eating gumbo over potato salad. I cannot imagine it.

Any day you have leftovers or scant groceries. As I understand it, these dishes were customary because the ingredients are variable and cheap. I mean, rice is inexpensive and available in South Louisiana, and any meat or seafood they threw into the pot was originally served first at another meal. We always have turkey and sausage gumbo a day or two after Thanksgiving.

Or if you could only afford a small portion of meat, you could stretch it into a meal for many by making a gumbo or jambalaya.

It's funny how one culture's sustenance becomes another's delicacy!