Menu

Gluten FREE bread machine question...

Im using my bread maker and doing pretty good. Ive been following the Gluten FREE baking classics by A Roberts.

So far so good. I am having to play around with mixtures as it seems South Florida isnt the best place too bake bread with humidity. GRRR.

Ive started adding a tiny bit more flour and now Ive added a few different types of grains.

The recipes call for the dry ingredients to be mixed and placed on top of the wet ones. It mixes the yeast into the flour. Now the machine has different instructions that you make a little hole in the center of the flours and place the yeast. I do this with my regular wheat flours. Does anyone do this with Gluten Free? I was curious since I cant find that anywhere? does it really matter?

The recipes call for the dry ingredients to be mixed and placed on top of the wet ones. It mixes the yeast into the flour. Now the machine has different instructions that you make a little hole in the center of the flours and place the yeast. I do this with my regular wheat flours. Does anyone do this with Gluten Free? I was curious since I cant find that anywhere? does it really matter?

I use Roberts' GF recipe for white bread in a Zojirushi bread machine. I follow her instructions and mix the yeast in with the other dry ingredients rather than making the hole, then bake using her times that I had to program into the machine's home made setting.

Does gluten free bread from a bread machine store very well? Do you keep sliced or unsliced - in the fridge?

If I know we are going to be eating a lot within 3 days..I leave it in the fridge. Otherwise, I freeze it. I dont defrost them...I just make the sandwich and let it thaw after when I pack lunches. If I want to eat right away...I toast them or just microwave it on defrost for a few seconds. I believe you can freeze them for 3 weeks...although my bread never lasts longer then a week.

I add the water, sugar, and yeast first and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then I add the dry ingredients, then the rest of the wet. I only use the machine for mixing the dough. I get better results baking the bread in the oven. It comes out lighter for me. I use a slight variation of the sandwich bread recipe in Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster using her rice flour baking mix and have sold loaves for $7 each at the local farmer's market. It's a huge hit at our house.

I had asked because I read someplace that you dont want the yeast touching the liquid...but I may be wrong. I cooked one the other day and it asked to heat the water slightly...but it fell while baking. I saw that could be from the yeast mixing with a temp too high. I guess it doesnt matter if you do the little well or mix it in the flour as long as your liquid isnt too hot or too cold.

I am going to try my regular bread the same way and see how it comes out.

I dont use the mixes because I just use my own mixture. My dd likes the millet mixed with Sorghum. Some days I add in buckwheat other days some rice flour.

I do slice mine about an hour after I cool it.

I have no clue how to use the homemade one...LOL. I have the machine with gluten free setting so I just always hit that. I havent ventured into following those instructions yet. I just mix them up and dump them in. :tongue_smilie: