Menu

Logic of English

Quiver0f10

Anyone have experience with this? Is this a complete spelling program or would additional programs be needed after completing LOE? We are using FLL for grammar, would both FLL and LOE be overkill?

I would love to hear from you if you are using this and how it's working for your family. Or if you looked at it and decided no to use it, could you please share why not?

Thanks!

I'm using LOE with my DD and also use FLL 3. We break up the LOE lesson into 2-3 days, and we do FLL lessons 3-4 times a week. It doesn't seem like overkill to me, and my DD doesn't complain. I used to own SWR and used it with all my kids, but I wanted something lined out for me like LOE is, and some days I really miss SWR now that it makes sense for me in how it works. Unfortunately I sold it, but LOE is a great program and it is working great. I plan to go into Webster's Speller with her after we finish LOE. I wanted her to know all the phonograms and spelling rules first. If SWR and FLL combo is working, I wouldn't switch unless you just want something all planned out for you with scripted lessons and worksheets to go along with it.

Edited by Mama2four

I'm using LOE with my DD and also use FLL 3. We break up the LOE lesson into 2-3 days, and we do FLL lessons 3-4 times a week. It doesn't seem like overkill to me, and my DD doesn't complain. I used to own SWR and used it with all my kids, but I wanted something lined out for me like LOE is, and some days I really miss SWR now that it makes sense for me in how it works. Unfortunately I sold it, but LOE is a great program and it is working great. I plan to go into Webster's Speller with her after we finish LOE. I wanted her to know all the phonograms and spelling rules first. If SWR and FLL combo is working, I wouldn't switch unless you just want something all planned out for you with scripted lessons and worksheets to go along with it.

Thank you for responding. I do like SWR so it makes sense to stick with it. Thee are days I wish for more open and go though lol.

I understand, that's why I switched. Some days the teaching process of SWR drove me crazy, but now that I don't have it anymore I miss it. Crazy huh?! But I attribute LOE to helping me understand how SWR works because it is all laid out for me and I don't have to wonder if I'm doing it right or enough. And LOE has an assessment every 5 lessons, which I really appreciate.

I understand, that's why I switched. Some days the teaching process of SWR drove me crazy, but now that I don't have it anymore I miss it. Crazy huh?! But I attribute LOE to helping me understand how SWR works because it is all laid out for me and I don't have to wonder if I'm doing it right or enough. And LOE has an assessment every 5 lessons, which I really appreciate.

It does look nice, however the price tag is a bit steep. I already have all the SWR components so that's a big plus for sticking with it. :D

It does look nice, however the price tag is a bit steep. I already have all the SWR components so that's a big plus for sticking with it. :D

Hehe, you're so funny. Btdt a little too much! I spent some time talking with Denise at the convention this past week and got to flip through LoE. I've used/owned way too many (SWR, HTTS, PR, all the levels of AAS, shall we go on), so it was really interesting to compare and hear where she was coming from. To your question about the grammar, what I saw, just going through it in that time, was a lot of fleshing out. Now I'm not a huge FLL fan. We did it but we condensed a lot, did the lessons just where each new concept was introduced (FLL1/2) and moved on to Shurley (with a side trip to R&S, ouch). Anyways, I guess your choice on grammar would really depend on the age/grade of the dc. For us Shurley was always so light and gentle (10 minutes max a day) that it wouldn't be a big deal to do alongside LoE. What grade are we talking about?

I thought her word lists were particularly interesting. We had a lot of points where the SWR words just were NOT interesting or useful to my dd. Denise has corrected that. She includes some things we *didn't* do well in SWR like sounding out words. And yes, I love what she's done with the open and go thing. I don't think it's a crime that that calls to you. You know there are times in your life when the layout of SWR is awesome and times when it's just too open. I really liked the way she has included activities *across the modalities* for every single lesson and *marked* them so you can easily tell which ones to select for your visual or kinesthetic or auditory learner. This is huge for us!

Things I didn't like in what I saw? Well I found the tm a little overwhelming, with lots of print on the pages. I liked her 2 page spreads for the word lists. The rest looked, well sort of like a R&S grammar book, just lots to deal with. She has the activities marked with a colored box to make them easy to find. But you've got to know there I'm the most insanely picky person there. I tend to get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. It's definitely something I'd have to buckle down to, use a bookmark, use some sticky flags, and put on my big girl underwear. But to *me* those multiple modality activities were worth a lot. The improved word lists were worth a lot. She's working on breaking it out into individual grade levels, and I'll definitely look at it for my ds.

BTW, I did end up buying her phonogram games book and a couple of the decks of her cards. I thought they were well done. I'm assuming you mean older kids who are beyond needing that?

So whatever. I don't think you're crazy to consider it, depending on the age and need of the child. Can you order and send it back if it doesn't fit? It's scripted. Is that what you *want* right now? It's still you the one opening it and making it go.

Just for your trivia, I bought my dd the Spelling Made Easy book by Connie Schenkelberg. The first 1/2-2/3 will be pretty easy for her as far as words, but she finds word searches and crosswords and whatnot pretty challenging. It's all homonyms, and I thought that would be an interesting change of pace for her. She'll probably call it torture, but whatever. That same lady has a grammar program that I really think will work out for us. Similar title: Grammar Made Easy. Serious winner. Short lessons, written to the student, just a few minutes on certain days with mom. I've looked and looked for something that would be that perfect. I got it at Janice Campbell's Excellence in Literature booth.

I spent some time talking with Denise at the convention this past week and got to flip through LoE. I've used/owned way too many (SWR, HTTS, PR, all the levels of AAS, shall we go on), so it was really interesting to compare and hear where she was coming from.

Thank you so much for this review! It was very helpful, especially since I am considering or using already AAS, WRTR, and HTTS.

We are using it here. We also use FLL and R&S grammar, so we kind of skip the LOE grammar portion when it overlaps. I've never really liked the all-one-programs but I *needed* open and go. My older one hated AAS and liked SWR. SWR is a great program but after a while I couldn't stand the site of those books. I intially started reading the Uncovering the LOE book to help me understand SWR, but I was completely sold on her interpretation of this methodology and her very clear explainations. I felt as if I had that "aha" moment that took so long to get w/SWR. SWR is a great program but LOE is just easier to get started with. There are also a few other differences like an extra 4 phonograms and some rearrangement of some of the spelling rules.

hths!

I really liked the way she has included activities *across the modalities* for every single lesson and *marked* them so you can easily tell which ones to select for your visual or kinesthetic or auditory learner. This is huge for us!

This was a huge selling point for me on LOE. That and the fact that it was open and go and incorporated phonics, spelling, grammar, and dictation in one book. Then I read Uncovering the Logic of English and was sold. (FWIW, I had level 2-5 of AAS already, but still decided to spend the money on LOE) The student workbooks are great as they don't look cluttered. The already perforated pages will make it nice and easy to pull out a lesson at a time. A little thing I know, but I love those little things.

I also LOVE the customer service of the company. I have spoken with them over the phone, via email and with Denise on LOE Forum. They are always quick to respond, very pleasant and have been incredibly helpful.

Hehe, you're so funny. Btdt a little too much! I spent some time talking with Denise at the convention this past week and got to flip through LoE. I've used/owned way too many (SWR, HTTS, PR, all the levels of AAS, shall we go on), so it was really interesting to compare and hear where she was coming from. To your question about the grammar, what I saw, just going through it in that time, was a lot of fleshing out. Now I'm not a huge FLL fan. We did it but we condensed a lot, did the lessons just where each new concept was introduced (FLL1/2) and moved on to Shurley (with a side trip to R&S, ouch). Anyways, I guess your choice on grammar would really depend on the age/grade of the dc. For us Shurley was always so light and gentle (10 minutes max a day) that it wouldn't be a big deal to do alongside LoE. What grade are we talking about?

My Dd is entering 4th grade.

I thought her word lists were particularly interesting. We had a lot of points where the SWR words just were NOT interesting or useful to my dd. Denise has corrected that. She includes some things we *didn't* do well in SWR like sounding out words. And yes, I love what she's done with the open and go thing. I don't think it's a crime that that calls to you. You know there are times in your life when the layout of SWR is awesome and times when it's just too open. I really liked the way she has included activities *across the modalities* for every single lesson and *marked* them so you can easily tell which ones to select for your visual or kinesthetic or auditory learner. This is huge for us!

Things I didn't like in what I saw? Well I found the tm a little overwhelming, with lots of print on the pages. I liked her 2 page spreads for the word lists. The rest looked, well sort of like a R&S grammar book, just lots to deal with. She has the activities marked with a colored box to make them easy to find. But you've got to know there I'm the most insanely picky person there. I tend to get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. It's definitely something I'd have to buckle down to, use a bookmark, use some sticky flags, and put on my big girl underwear. But to *me* those multiple modality activities were worth a lot. The improved word lists were worth a lot. She's working on breaking it out into individual grade levels, and I'll definitely look at it for my ds.

This would interest me too.

BTW, I did end up buying her phonogram games book and a couple of the decks of her cards. I thought they were well done. I'm assuming you mean older kids who are beyond needing that?

Yes, for my Dd once we were through LOE.

So whatever. I don't think you're crazy to consider it, depending on the age and need of the child. Can you order and send it back if it doesn't fit? It's scripted. Is that what you *want* right now? It's still you the one opening it and making it go.

Yes, I am using a lot of teacher intensive programs right now and feel the need to simplify in places.I like the idea of SW but need something that I can just grab and go.

Just for your trivia, I bought my dd the Spelling Made Easy book by Connie Schenkelberg. The first 1/2-2/3 will be pretty easy for her as far as words, but she finds word searches and crosswords and whatnot pretty challenging. It's all homonyms, and I thought that would be an interesting change of pace for her. She'll probably call it torture, but whatever. That same lady has a grammar program that I really think will work out for us. Similar title: Grammar Made Easy. Serious winner. Short lessons, written to the student, just a few minutes on certain days with mom. I've looked and looked for something that would be that perfect. I got it at Janice Campbell's Excellence in Literature booth.

Thanks!

This was a huge selling point for me on LOE. That and the fact that it was open and go and incorporated phonics, spelling, grammar, and dictation in one book. Then I read Uncovering the Logic of English and was sold. (FWIW, I had level 2-5 of AAS already, but still decided to spend the money on LOE) The student workbooks are great as they don't look cluttered. The already perforated pages will make it nice and easy to pull out a lesson at a time. A little thing I know, but I love those little things.

I also LOVE the customer service of the company. I have spoken with them over the phone, via email and with Denise on LOE Forum. They are always quick to respond, very pleasant and have been incredibly helpful.

There were questions about another level of LOE Essentials on the forum. This was her response. As I was already looking into MCT, I was thrilled to read this.

My goal for Essentials 2 will be to focus on Latin and Greek Roots, morphology (vocabulary development), and punctuation of more complex sentences.

Though we are working on developing some of the content we are a long ways from publishing a second level. In the meantime, I recommend that teachers who want to continue look at Michael Clay Thompson's program. This looks like an excellent way to continue to develop grammar, sentence level writing, and vocabulary. Simply integrate the spelling rules and phonograms learned in Essentials with the vocabulary that you are studying in Cesar's English.

Thanks for the info!

I love the set up. I read through the first three lessons to acquaint myself with how the lessons work. It is truly open and go and very simple. I know it seems like a lot of text but now that I have read through the first three, it is not overwhelming at all.

I am also so grateful that she has separated out activities for the different styles of learning.

The workbook can not be copied, which I wouldn't recommend anyway since it has so many pages. I was going to use one workbook for all the kids and have them write on notebook paper but I changed my mind. It would add too much writing in for my 11yo. At first I thought that the layout could have been condensed and printed on far fewer sheets, but I was wrong. My 11yo has far fewer reading mistakes because of the size of the print and the lines are big enough to write neatly.

I only bought the workbook and the TM. I will type out the spelling rules and phonics, however, I am not looking forward to it. That will be a lot of work. I will buy the game book, three sets of cards and the reference guide next month. You can make do without the extras but I LOVE the way the lessons are laid out and I want to follow it as closely as I can.

The thing I want to say that I love most is how quickly this can be done. 35-65 minutes a day and you will have this done in 8-16 weeks. We don't have years to learn spelling rules since he will be in 7th grade. This is perfect for us.

I guess I can't sing the praises enough for this program.

Edited by Briartell

I forgot to mention that the use of a spelling journal is in every lesson. I don't know what the LoE one looks like. If you have one, could you let us know what it looks like.

I was going to make my own. Type the lesson at the top of the page, have space for them to copy the rule and then lines underneath for the spelling journal activities in the lesson.

I love the set up. I read through the first three lessons to acquaint myself with how the lessons work. It is truly open any go and very simple. I know it seems like a lot of text but now that I have read through the first three, it is not overwhelming at all.

I am also so grateful that she has separated out activities for the different styles of learning.

The workbook can not be copied, which I wouldn't recommend anyway since it has so many pages. I was going to use one workbook for all the kids and have them write on notebook paper but I changed my mind. It would add too much writing in for my 11yo. At first I thought that the layout could have been condensed and printed on far fewer sheets, but I was wrong. My 11yo has far fewer reading mistakes because of the size of the print and the lines are big enough to write neatly.

I only bought the workbook and the TM. I will type out the spelling rules and phonics, however, I am not looking forward to it. That will be a lot of work. I will buy the game book, three sets of cards and the reference guide next month. You can make do without the extras but I LOVE the way the lessons are laid out and I want to follow it as closely as I can.

The thing I want to say that I love most is how quickly this can be done. 35-65 minutes a day and you will have this done in 8-16 weeks. We don't have years to learn spelling rules. This is perfect for us.

I guess I can't sing the praises enough for this program.

Sounds nice! What do you plan to do as far as spelling after LOE? I am assuming/hoping that once the rules are learned we won't need to continue with a spelling program.

What ages are the games for do you think. My ds9 has a basic grasp of some of the rules and sounds as we have done PR1 and PR2 but he does keep forgetting!

I'm wondering whether this could be the final push I need to do to get him to finally master all he needs to. I'm loath to spend so much but if I could get through it in a few weeks and he actually know if, then it would be worth it. I do not want to spend yrs teaching this!

Stephanie

What ages are the games for do you think. My ds9 has a basic grasp of some of the rules and sounds as we have done PR1 and PR2 but he does keep forgetting!

I'm wondering whether this could be the final push I need to do to get him to finally master all he needs to. I'm loath to spend so much but if I could get through it in a few weeks and he actually know if, then it would be worth it. I do not want to spend yrs teaching this!

Stephanie

I have used the games with all three of my boys ages 6, 8, &11. This is their favorite part of the program.

I hear you about not wanting to spend years teaching this. The essentials curriculum is ideal as a remedial program and covers everthing needed for decoding and spelling 98% of english words and does this in 40 lessons! It also spirals, so their much review built in, but the game book adds extra review as needed. My boys need a lot of review, so the spelling journal has also been very helpful. They log the sounds/phonograms in the journal as they learn them in the section for that particular spelling, and can "look up" words that they need when they are writing for other subjects. It is really a valuable extra. We add a little interest by writing the phonogram section in red and the rest of the word in pencil. Once a section is complete, they get to pick a sticker on that section. Somehow, this seems to keep them motivated. Whatever works...

Briartell, I think you could easily make your own. The journal only has the phongrams organized by sound but no spelling rules. So a section on the sound of long A as in steak, will have spaces for words that have the phongrams, ea, ei, ey, and eigh. These are filled in as they are covered in the lessons.

Edited by MyLittleBears

I just know I'm going to leave convention $200 poorer next month. . .

Hehehe, I can understand that. Could I suggest though, with as many programs as you own (AAS, WRTR, whatever), that you might want to figure out *why* things aren't working and just fix that? Is it that you need more hand-holding? Can't be that, because AAS gives it to you. Is it that you need games? Just buy the games materials. Is it that your dc has an undiagnosed vision or learning problem that no curriculum is going to fix? I'd think very carefully before I spent another $200 in your shoes. Just sayin'.

As far as vision, you would get that checked by a developmental optometrist from COVD. They can do a regular exam and *screen* for extra things that affect school work. It's under $100 at the place we use, highly recommend any time school work is not clicking. Nuts, I think EVERYONE should get their eyes checked. But a regular optometrist won't do if you're asking about vision as it relates to school work, has to be the developmental optometrist.

There's a real herd effect on the boards. Take your time and make sure you're fixing the problem, not just throwing more money at it. BTDT. :)

Hehehe, I can understand that. Could I suggest though, with as many programs as you own (AAS, WRTR, whatever), that you might want to figure out *why* things aren't working and just fix that? Is it that you need more hand-holding? Can't be that, because AAS gives it to you. Is it that you need games? Just buy the games materials. Is it that your dc has an undiagnosed vision or learning problem that no curriculum is going to fix? I'd think very carefully before I spent another $200 in your shoes. Just sayin'.

As far as vision, you would get that checked by a developmental optometrist from COVD. They can do a regular exam and *screen* for extra things that affect school work. It's under $100 at the place we use, highly recommend any time school work is not clicking. Nuts, I think EVERYONE should get their eyes checked. But a regular optometrist won't do if you're asking about vision as it relates to school work, has to be the developmental optometrist.

There's a real herd effect on the boards. Take your time and make sure you're fixing the problem, not just throwing more money at it. BTDT. :)

Ok, now that I am 99% sure I am going to use LOE, you are talking me out of it! :D

:iagree: OhElizabeth, we're convinced that eyes tend to be the majority of the problem in most cases.

I find that reading the Uncovering book will give you all the teacher training needed to apply the methodology to whatever program you use. You will "see the light" much faster without having to take classes, if you can resist the urge to by the complete program. I was unable to do so. :tongue_smilie: But I am happier for it. I think I would have given my left arm for ease of use!

We actually do okay with AAS, but we are just at the beginning level. So to buy more levels of AAS is actually probably going to be the same cost as buying LOE. The advantage I see to LOE (without having actually seen it in person) is that I may be able to better combine the children. I could be very wrong about this.

I bought WRTR a few weeks ago. I think I understand it and I definitely like the concept. Reading it actually brought more understanding to the AAS method for me. If I don't like LOE when I see it, I think I will go with WRTR. Definitely seems the cheapest way to go, but not the most convenient.

As for vision, I did have my son tested. Unfortunately, the place we went to finds that 95% of the children they test qualify for vision therapy. This seems suspiciously steep number to me, especially considering the cost of therapy. We went for a second opinion and we are now doing exercises at home.

Edited by lorisuewho

Re the game book, do you need all sets of the cards if there are 2 of you playing or can you drop one of them?

Stephanie

I bought two sets of cards. They come in blue font, black font, and a cursive font. I wasn't particularly interested in the cursive right now for my ds, so I went with the blue & black. I like the *size* of them, very practical. Ok, I just like that it's something I don't have to prepare. :)

Ok, now that I am 99% sure I am going to use LOE, you are talking me out of it! :D

You're so funny, lol. I thought I was replying to someone else. Just trust your gut. Any time I decide based on persuasion by someone else, I kick myself. So that's my only advice. And check the return policy. Some things are a lot more clear once you get it in hand.

You're so funny, lol. I thought I was replying to someone else. Just trust your gut. Any time I decide based on persuasion by someone else, I kick myself. So that's my only advice. And check the return policy. Some things are a lot more clear once you get it in hand.

You were. I was eavesdropping :lol:

Briartell, I think you could easily make your own. The journal only has the phongrams organized by sound but no spelling rules. So a section on the sound of long A as in steak, will have spaces for words that have the phongrams, ea, ei, ey, and eigh. These are filled in as they are covered in the lessons.

Thanks for that clarification. I will try my own journal then. I think having him write the rule down will help him learn the rule better anyway. Any words we find that follow the rule, he will write in that section.

As far as what we are going to do after this. I am hoping that this is intense enough to only do once. I can see us playing the games later as a refresher though. The biggest thing I plan on doing is to keep using the spelling journal. My idea is to have him put words that I find that he has misspelled in the journal. Vocabulary will replace spelling after I feel he has a firm grasp on the rules. I am doing Wordly wise, but I am considering switching to Vocabulary from Classical Roots (I believe that is the name).

For me choosing LoE was easy because I have no other homeschool products. I am brand new at this. I was debating between Apples & Pears, AAS, and Phonetic Zoo as well. If I didn't go with LoE, I would have gone with Phonetic Zoo. Apples and Pears didn't have the rules which I feel my son would work best with, AAS was too long in the length of the program. I need my son experiencing success with his spelling as soon as possible so his confidence can carry over to his writing. He takes so long writing something because he erases and erases words that he is struggling to spell.

I chose LoE over Phonetic Zoo because I feel like I need to know the rules so that I can help him as he spells a word wrong in the future. I love the independent nature of Phonetic Zoo and I will miss that. However this program is only for 8-16 weeks which is manageable.

The other reason I went with LoE is for the grammar. It seems integrated quite nicely to me and I don't have to worry about pacing a different grammar program with the spelling part. Since the program is so short, I can move on to another grammar program later. I love customizing curriculum to fit the needs of my child, but it can be overwhelming.

Briartell, I'm not sure the age of your child, but it would be VERY UNUSUAL for a dc to learn something once and have it solid enough not to need to work on it again. The more typical pattern is to work on it now, come back 6 months or a year later to blank looks and work on it again, come back 6 or 9 months later to a head scratch about how they *think* they remember it but need help... Seriously. Some kids need repetition. Some kids need theory instruction and then lots of repetition in context. Some kids are visual learners and aren't really going to remember those words until they've seen them used correctly over and over and over.

Homeschooling is an extreme act of patience.

I am reading the Uncovering book right now, and I am seriously considering this curriculum for my soon to be 7th grader. I like that everything is in there. Denise told me that it would be great to do over the summer to get my DD "caught up" (she is coming out of public school this year). She said about 2 hours a day for 8 weeks and it would be all done. My DD is an OK reader, but horrible at comprehension. She is a great speller, but does it out of memorization, so I think LOE will really help her.

Briartell, I'm not sure the age of your child, but it would be VERY UNUSUAL for a dc to learn something once and have it solid enough not to need to work on it again. The more typical pattern is to work on it now, come back 6 months or a year later to blank looks and work on it again, come back 6 or 9 months later to a head scratch about how they *think* they remember it but need help... Seriously. Some kids need repetition. Some kids need theory instruction and then lots of repetition in context. Some kids are visual learners and aren't really going to remember those words until they've seen them used correctly over and over and over.

Homeschooling is an extreme act of patience.

My son is 11 almost 12. Do you think continuing with the spelling journal and regularly reviewing the rules will be enough? I don't expect him to have complete mastery after the 8-16 weeks. I imagine we will go over all the rules once a month with the games and the journal. By learning the spelling rules myself, I hoped I would help him see those rules in his vocab words in the future.