Menu

In case anyone wants to offer advice...or pray

Yesterday we met with the neurologist and all went quite well. She seems knowledgeable and took an extensive history from both youngest son and what we knew/saw as well as read reports from others. Then she did some basic testing - all of which he passed (balance, muscle control, etc).

In the end, she doesn't think there's anything related to the fall as it's just not showing up anywhere else. It matches my thoughts that he is so "normal" when not having issues.

We're doing the EEG tomorrow, but she doesn't really expect anything to show up there as it doesn't sound epileptic or true seizure"ish." Based on seizures I've witnessed, I agree, but we want to rule it out as much as we can.

Then we're waiting to see if another episode happens between tomorrow and Friday. IF so, it's going to be taped if at all possible. Then we might head into an MRI near the next time one would occur to check for any small injury (or buildup) that might not show up on a CAT scan.

However, barring that, she's thinking (and hubby and I concur) that it's likely to be Aspie related and not physical. Apparently, as the teen brain grows, sometimes it's difficult for teens to adjust and it manifests itself in anxiety attacks. IF this is it, it's different than "normal," but in some aspects, there is no real "normal." She questioned him a bit looking for a stressor and found none, BUT sometimes they won't share. We did conclude that he has more twitching (and 2 of the 3 episodes) as he's reaching "down time" rather than when stressed. He's an extroverted Aspie (perhaps not as common on the spectrum?), so maybe that has something to do with it. He's ok when active, but has difficulty adjusting to his growing brain when not - at this point in his life. She's hoping by being sleep deprived tonight that he will have some twitches tomorrow... Personally, I wouldn't mind him having an episode tomorrow - as long as it's at the hospital.

Either way it ends up, I just want to get to the bottom of it and get it fixed. Without any injury, I can deal with the twitches. The episodes are scary and need to get stopped. They MAY get stopped just because he would then know there isn't anything physical (and his brain may have conjured up the stress thinking there was). I imagine I'll be a bit stressed out for the next 3 - 4 days, but I'll be at school - staying busy. Hubby is taking him to the MRI. I'll be teaching math at school - able to get to the nurse if something happens here. Middle son will cover youth groups (keeping the Aspie on his schedule).

If we reach the weekend with nothing, then I'll breathe again. I can deal with Aspie issues (or I'll learn how to deal with them as I have been doing the past couple of years). ;)

If it turns out to be physical - at least we'll know and can hopefully fix it, but that is seemingly a rather thin chance at the moment since nothing else has been impacted.

I'm really happy to think there's nothing truly life threatening even if it looks like it during an episode.

Thanks all!

Oh, and sorry about not updating last night. Middle son won an essay competition again (3rd year in a row) and last night was the award presentation. This year he also won the next level up and will give that presentation in June. I didn't want his success to be overshadowed by my having to update on here, so I logged on, then thought better of it and got right back off.

This is middle son's year to shine with graduating, getting various awards (winning some local scholarships) and heading off to college in 4 months.

That MAY be youngest's stressor, but I don't want to deny middle son the enjoyment of his accomplishments.

It's a tricky balance (and I wish I could say I always have it right, but that's doubtful).

So glad you are getting some answers and limiting the possibilities. It is always so much easier to deal with what we know than what we don't know. And congratulations to your other son for the essay win!

Yup - parenting is a balancing act and I know when I look back in the years to come that I'll find all sorts of things I should have done differently. But you do what you can when you can and that's the best you can do. :grouphug:

Creekland,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that you're getting some answers (or at least some negative possibilities overruled) and that things are moving in a positive direction.

Congratulations to your middle son on his accomplishment!

Regards,

Kareni

My son has diagnosed epilepsy. He has never lost consciousness during a seizure. He has simple partial seizures which means they are only occurring in one hemisphere of the brain. He has small seizures that make his arm or more rarely his leg shake for a few seconds. His "big" seizures look like a grand mal seizure but only on one side of the body. He feels funny right before a "big" seizure. He remembers everything after.

He has also had visual and aural hallucinations but we believe they are medication related but we can't be sure. There is some interesting information about sensory seizures on the major epilepsy websites.

Hopefully the EEG will be definitive. Even if my son hasn't had a seizure captured on the EEG it does show abnormal spiking which is common in people who have had seizures.

Please keep us updated!

God Bless,

Elise in NV

Edited by speedmom4
Typo

My son has diagnosed epilepsy. He has never lost consciousness during a seizure. He has simple partial seizures which means they are only occurring in one hemisphere of the brain. He has small seizures that make his arm or more rarely his leg shake for a few seconds. His "big" seizures look like a grand mal seizure but only on one side of the body. He feels funny right before a "big" seizure. He remembers everything after.

He has also had visual and aural hallucinations but we believe they are medication related but we can't be sure. There is some interesting information about sensory seizures on the major epilepsy websites.

Hopefully the EEG will be definitive. Even if my son hasn't had a seizure captured on the EEG it does show abnormal spiking which is common in people who have had seizures.

Please keep us updated!

God Bless,

Elise in NV

That's interesting to know. Now I'm really wanting to know what will show up tomorrow - if anything. Time will tell I guess.