Menu

Is this enough for 5th grade?

miracleone

Kindly let me know if this is good for fifth grade. Thank you!

HOD CtC - we're going to use their Science and the History books

Math - CLE 5

English - Rod and Staff English

Spelling - Rod and Staff 5

Writing - WWS alternate weekly with IEW SWI-B

We have Awana, piano, ballet, swimming and a book club.

Thank you!

I would not alternate WWS with IEW week by week. WWS is a full, academic, and rigorous program. You do not need more, and will likely overwhelm your student.

But obviously it depends on your student. Look at the samples posted on the WWS thread on the k-8 writing workshop board to determine how large a stretch WWS will be for your child.

Ruth in NZ

I have debated the writing too, but after rereading WTM, it says R&S english is enough if you are using the exercises. It also says you can just skip the composition lessons if you are using a separate writing program. So OP may be planning that.

I do add WTM style writing to our curric: my 5th grader will have outlining and summarizing on a regular basis. But R&S writing will be enough for us after that. I have actually been really impressed with the R&S 4 writing this year. I wasn't so sure after how light 2 and 3 are with it. But 4 has been really great. And I have 5 on my shelf. The writing looks good...

Wow, thanks for the response. I thought of alternating WWS and IEW SWI-B is because my DD likes a bit variety and gets bored easily. She is not liking R&S English at all. I guess we could skip the writing lessons unless it's something I know she really needs to learn. I don't know if I should find another grammar program that will enable her to have good retention? As for Art, I know HOD CtC has watercolor in it. I might have to put her in some kind of art class eventually as she is my very "art-oriented" child. She is very much into origami and all kinds of crafty activities. As for foreign language, we have not decided what to do yet. We'll also be doing typing lessons online. How do you do "beginning logic?"

Thank you!