Menu

How do I get my son to read books he doesn't want to read?

jar7709

Maybe some of you have faced this problem, and I'm not even sure if it's a problem or if I'm making it one, help me reach clarity, please. My 7yo gifted son is an avid reader, excellent skills and comprehension. He goes through young adult books of his own choosing like water, and that's not a problem. He loves both nonfiction, and fiction like Star Wars and Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole series. We also have a few times a day where I read aloud books of my choosing to both him and his younger sister. Usually I try to pick well-written books I know they will both enjoy and that I will enjoy reading aloud, we just finished Nim's Island, which they both loved.

All good so far. Here's the problem-- many of the book lists and various curricula options recommend reading myths and fairy tales and fables to early elementary kids, and I'm on board with that, I think these stories provide good background and help understand context for many books they will face down the road. But, my son REFUSES to listen or read myths and fairy tales. We're talking major meltdown refusal. It's almost like they make him physically uncomfortable, I have several half-baked theories about why...maybe he can sense the metaphorical meanings but can't make sense of them? Or they are different from what he knows to be true and can't understand why I want him to read something obviously false? I don't know.

Anyway, sometimes, if I can spin something as a "legend" instead of a "myth" he's ok with it, but once he sees the cover of the book all bets are off. Once in a while, if I'm reading one to his little sister and I can get him to stay in the room somehow he'll listen to one with half an ear. Maybe that's how I should approach this, or just leave it for now and come back to it when he's ready. Any of you have experience with this odd problem?

Edited by jar7709

I think you have to decide what is important about those books and why-and if there's another way to get that background. My DD loves mythology (so not your exact problem), but she CANNOT handle stories where animals are hurt or killed deliberately, so there are some books on Sonlight and AO's lists that I just plain skip. She KNOWS people do mean things and sometimes hurt animals and that other people save them, and she doesn't need to be brought to tears by books like Shiloh to learn that lesson.

Similarly, your son probably knows that there are all sorts of beliefs other people in history held, and that they're called mythology, and it may be that he's disturbed by considering other people's beliefs myths/legends, or that he's disturbed by the contradictions with what he, himself believes. If that's the case, I don't know that he's going to get much out of specific stories that he wouldn't get by simply learning a summary of who the Greek Gods were and a few of the major events (like Classical Conversations has in Cycle 1).

One thing to remember about our accelerated readers-they're still only 7. If a child misses fairy tales now, but later on needs them, they can find them. I read a lot of children's and YA books when I was in college and grad school because I was one of those kids who always wanted to read HARD books-and as a result, I missed a lot of great literature that I discovered only as an adult. I don't think it did me any harm to read Asimov's Foundation trilogy before I read Cricket in Times Square.

Edited by dmmetler

I think you have to decide what is important about those books and why-and if there's another way to get that background. My DD loves mythology (so not your exact problem), but she CANNOT handle stories where animals are hurt or killed deliberately, so there are some books on Sonlight and AO's lists that I just plain skip. She KNOWS people do mean things and sometimes hurt animals and that other people save them, and she doesn't need to be brought to tears by books like Shiloh to learn that lesson.

Similarly, your son probably knows that there are all sorts of beliefs other people in history held, and that they're called mythology, and it may be that he's disturbed by considering other people's beliefs myths/legends, or that he's disturbed by the contradictions with what he, himself believes. If that's the case, I don't know that he's going to get much out of specific stories that he wouldn't get by simply learning a summary of who the Greek Gods were and a few of the major events (like Classical Conversations has in Cycle 1).

One thing to remember about our accelerated readers-they're still only 7. If a child misses fairy tales now, but later on needs them, they can find them. I read a lot of children's and YA books when I was in college and grad school because I was one of those kids who always wanted to read HARD books-and as a result, I missed a lot of great literature that I discovered only as an adult. I don't think it did me any harm to read Asimov's Foundation trilogy before I read Cricket in Times Square.

Thank you, especially for the bolded. This is what I suspect, but it helps to hear others say it.

Maybe that's how I should approach this, or just leave it for now and come back to it when he's ready. Any of you have experience with this odd problem?

I sometimes joke to myself that I should have had one more kid who would follow all curriculum recommendations to the T just so his/ her mommy could stop worrying. Now that I know what is normal for my son, I can empathize with what you are facing.

One "sneaky" way of doing it could be playing an audiobook in the background. Apologies if you've already tried that. Jim Weiss has a nice voice for teasing out reluctant listeners.

In our case, we completely skipped the picture book stage. Completely. My son refused to read all the classic picture books when he was younger. Perhaps he'll read them to his kids some day! He did enjoy mythology. But fairy tales were similarly not his favorites.

I sometimes think it's because the tales conflict with how his mind works. Is your son imaginative yet highly logical? Anyway, if he comes across a reference to a fairy tale in other readings, could you perhaps explain it to him verbally if he's interested to know more?

I sometimes think it's because the tales conflict with how his mind works. Is your son imaginative yet highly logical?

Yes! That could definitely be part of it. He his highly creative, spending hours inventing stories and building worlds out of Lego, but they all have an internal consistency, YKWIM? All the worlds stick to the basic laws of physics as he understands them. Harry Potter and most stories of "magic" don't interest him.

Anyway, if he comes across a reference to a fairy tale in other readings, could you perhaps explain it to him verbally if he's interested to know more?

That's what I've been doing so far, but you know how you start to doubt yourself when all the resources and other homeschoolers say you need to cover that stuff. Like in Nim's Island there is a brief reference to Ali Baba's cave, so I just explained what that meant, and he said, "oh". I guess that's all he needed to know, he was highly resistant to the idea of reading/listening to Ali Baba himself and it doesn't seem like a hill I want to die on.

So glad I'm not alone!

I sometimes joke to myself that I should have had one more kid who would follow all curriculum recommendations to the T just so his/ her mommy could stop worrying. Now that I know what is normal for my son, I can empathize with what you are facing.

One "sneaky" way of doing it could be playing an audiobook in the background. Apologies if you've already tried that. Jim Weiss has a nice voice for teasing out reluctant listeners.

QUOTE]

Going to audio was what I was going to say!

Another idea would be to read the book yourself with a lot of "oohh" "Ahhh"ing, and then tell your son that this book was really good but that he probably wouldn't like it. :D

We have had this problem, in spades!

Button has done well with Ambleside Online selections from Fifty Famous Stories and other legends, and the Eggleston books. For a long time the only myths he read were the ones in his Free & Treadwell readers. I wouldn't fret about the timing of the fairy tales, if you are getting good stuff in his ears. At least that's what I've told myself.

Also, I read at snacks and lunch things for "the baby" that I want Aiden to hear. He's convinced poetry is necessary for babies!!!

ETA: Button once said he wanted stories to be either happy, or true. :) He's been somewhat amenable to explanations of "fictional truth" in stories, starting with the eternal truths in the Frog and Toad stories...

Edited by serendipitous journey

Guest Changed and Changed Back

I was a PG kid. I never stopped reading -- ever. I hated myths, fairy tales, legends .... I say, skip them. When he needs to know about the River Styx, he'll look it up on wikipedia.

um. Then don't make him read them.

There are sooooo many books out there. Pick something else! I always have a selection for my children to choose from. "Here are 5 good books I have picked out. Let me tell you about each one, and you decide what you want to read next."

I hate fairy tales. I really do. Some have stuck with me for my whole life as seriously yucky stories, specificly Hansel and Gretel and the matchstick girl. yuck!

Ruth in NZ

Here's another idea for you. I call it the I Read/You Read Challenge box. The only problem that I have is that I'm not finding time to add books to the box myself. But theoretically, this could be a way to get your child to read books that you suggest.

Love that idea! He often asks me to read one of his Ga'hoole books but with everything else, we both forget. Could be fun!

I wouldn't worry about it at all either. He'll figure it out. That said, sometimes kids just need a hook. My son got excited about Mythology after reading the Percy Jackson series and then ate up D'Auliere's book of Greek Myths, and then got interested in the Norse Myths.

My younger got this book a couple years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Greek-Myths-Wonder-Blunders/dp/0803733089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335230737&sr=8-1

It's in graphic novel format and HILARIOUS (although some might not like the tone)! That hooked her and she very willingly listened to D'Auliere's out loud after that. Both kids still fight over this book on occasion.

Anyway, if he still doesn't bite even with a different approach, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

My daughter is the same way. She can't stand doing the Burgess Bird Book or Parables from Nature. She eats up 50 Famous Stories, though, and ADORES Aesops Fables and Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. She is actually digging the Blue Fairy Book too, though it is SO gruesome! I tried forcing our way through the books she doesn't like and instead, if I see she is daydreaming or not into it, we move on to the next thing and try again later.

Have him just read a few chapters at a time of the books you think are important. My ds8 sounds just like yours. But he will roll his eyes and tell you that most of the time, he ended up really liking those books that I insisted he read, even if they started out "boring."

We also have "book club" for books that are particularly challenging. Grandma, ds8 and I each read the book and go to his favorite restaurant for dinner and dessert to discuss it. Fun for all of us. Ds5 is jealous, and we'll be starting book club for him just to get him to read.

Audiobooks have also made him love books he didn't want to read on his own.