Menu

What Bible version do you use for memory verses?

edeemarie

We use the ESV (English Standard Version) because that's what we read out of at home for devotions and at church. It's hard for me though because I learned some with King James and some from NIV. My kids have to remind me about wording sometimes because I will be close to the ESV but slightly off on a few words.

The original Hebrew. Just to throw in a monkey wrench into the discussion. >:-)))

בראשית ברא אלקים את השמים ואת הארץ...

But seriously, I just popped in to see what people choose, and why. Our rabbi has often said, "every translation is an interpretation." I think it would be endlessly frustrating to try to go through it without the original... like relying on hearsay instead of firsthand knowledge.

For MEMORY I use the KJV. Lately I've been doing a lot of tutoring and am using the NIrV for READING, but even with LD students, I use the KJV for memory work and research, and developing their ears for the older English dialect that is so common in many of the Great Books.

The KJV is the greatest prep for the other Great Books.

Not only memory work, but students should hear LONG passages of the KJV on a frequent basis. Let a dramatized audio version play in the background while they are coloring or playing.

And definitely use the KJV for memory work and copy work, if you are planning on the Great Books in high school.

I'm not KJV only, by any stretch of the means; but I am megapro on INCLUDING lots of KJV in just about every child's education.

Our church is mostly nasb but we have ni. Kjvis hard for me to read especial aloud

It's torture for me to read aloud too. But my youngest son listened to excellent audio from several publishers, and grew up bilingual in modern and older English, and seriously does not comprehend why the rest of us struggle with the KJV or any of the Great Books from the 1600s and 1700s.

ESV, it was recommended here, and we started with the Fighter Verses, which come in ESV. I have pondered using the KJV, we do try to read from it often. I love the audio idea - biblegateway probably has audio to listen to. (I memorized in a max of KJV, NASB, and NIV).