Menu

Best Real Bible for a Five Year Old?

Parker Martin

I think we own nearly every storybook Bible in print, but my son keeps taking my hardback RSV to read. :001_huh: Yesterday I found an NIrV kids' Bible and gave it to him, and he likes that, but I don't know much about that translation. I'm generally an ESV (or RSV but never NRSV) person.

I'd like to give him his own Bible, and I see that there are a few ESV Bibles for kids on the market. Anyone have one to recommend? Anyone have one to recommend in another translation? Should I just leave him with the NIrV? I'm a bit concerned about his reading specific bits of content at his age, Lot for example. Guidance on this?

I looked at the Seek and Find, but I wasn't particularly happy with the additional paraphrases as they didn't emphasize what I would have.

Well my dd LOVED her NIrV for a couple years, so I highly recommend that. We went to the NASB after that, total bust. Got her an ESV this year, and she's finally really happy. If he likes the NIrV, I'd leave him alone. Once he's ready for the ESV, the student study version. It has a really nice level of notes appropriate for say 5th to early adult. It would make a good general Bible for an adult as well.

I think we own nearly every storybook Bible in print, but my son keeps taking my hardback RSV to read. :001_huh: Yesterday I found an NIrV kids' Bible and gave it to him, and he likes that, but I don't know much about that translation. I'm generally an ESV (or RSV but never NRSV) person.

I'd like to give him his own Bible, and I see that there are a few ESV Bibles for kids on the market. Anyone have one to recommend? Anyone have one to recommend in another translation? Should I just leave him with the NIrV? I'm a bit concerned about his reading specific bits of content at his age, Lot for example. Guidance on this?

I looked at the Seek and Find, but I wasn't particularly happy with the additional paraphrases as they didn't emphasize what I would have.

This is the Bible we bought for dd. She loves it, and I love it. The artwork in it is beautiful. It is a very lovely Bible and should last her for quite some time.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded above. I don't remember seeing any additional paraphrases. :confused:

What I called "additional paraphrases" are the retellings with the pictures. Maybe it was just the one I looked at. Otherwise, I think it looks neat.

Those are basically like sticking a children's bible storybook version of the story into the regular Bible text. We haven't really used them yet, but they are kind of cool since they include questions, related passages for further study, and a key verse you could use for memory work. I thought about using those as a way to introduce a personal devotional time with dd8 next year. There are 140 of them so it would last us a while!

I've read through a few of them, but nothing jumped out at me as not meshing with our beliefs. If we did come across something strange, I would just use it as a jumping off point for discussion.

I ultimately chose this Bible because I use the ESV and it was just much easier for homeschooling purposes for both of us to have the same version. I tried using the NIrV, but I don't even have an NIV in the house so it was kind of a pain with me having to read over her shoulder all the time! :001_smile:

Good luck finding what you want. :grouphug:

I currently use both the KJV and the NIrV with my tutoring students. I too would like to know more about the NIrV, but it does't seem to be a particularly popular topic of conversation anywhere.

Punctuation in the Bible is recent and not original. So the NIrVs shorter sentences do not make it any less accurate in my opinion. The shorter simple sentences are a real boon for comprehension.

Names are often not the original Greek or Hebrew and assumptions are made. These assumptions are made for pronouns and for things like "the river". I think this is more helpful than not in GENERAL.

Instead of word for word, this version is sometimes thought for thought. In the end my students are more likely to have a more accurate picture of the original text, than if they are left to struggle through a word for word text. Especially my manic depressive students who love the KJV for it's ambiguity that they can RUN with. If they want to go off on a tangent from something they THINK the KJV says and it isn't what the NIrV clearly says, I put my foot down and refuse to discuss it with them. I give them the link to a Christian forum and tell them to discuss their interpretation there.

This is the one I have. I like the way it feels.

31UTT0S-EXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I use the KJV to prepare a students ears for the dialect that many of the Great Books are written in. I have the student listen to dramatized audio as they read along in their Bible. I have been doing this with kindergarten on up for decades, with amazing results. I also use the Joyful Noise KJV scripture songs for memory work, worship and music class and copy work.

My 8 year old loves the ESV Grow Bible.