Menu

Can I use Sonlight Core B and supplement with SOTW?

I have SOTW 1 and it looks great but I'm really liking Sonlight as well...especially as a new homeschooler dealing with back to back deployments (DH just got back in December and is leaving again in a couple of months). I like the scheduling and the books are great (I could always piece it together, but again, I'm just tired and a bit overwhelmed right now).

So, I'm thinking of starting DS1 (he's had a rough year but for the past 2months has been in a 1st grade at public school - Montessori before that) in June with Sonlight Core B and adding in SOTW as a supplement where the chapters line up and match. I could then also use the Activity Guide as a supplement and for hands-on ideas as well.

Just wondering if others have done this or if you've tried and can say it just won't work.

TIA!

I did it years ago when my oldest was in first. He loved history and we had fun. We are using it again--mainly for the middle 2--and he doesn't remember it. We try to fit CHOW in when we can. So, don't worry about the fact it's used again. SL used to use CHOW both times.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a blog where they are doing exactly that...Core B with SOTW. She also posts some great links to online games and notebooking pages. Looks like she has skipped many chapters in SOTW (or at least not blogged them) but I imagine that is because she is matching it up with SL. I think she is intending to share her schedule that blends the two. Click her Story of the World 1 tag to see related posts.

http://homeschoolblogger.com/bbbandl/

We're doing straight through SOTW but I visit her blog often to look for ideas for whatever chapter we are on.

Here's a blog where they are doing exactly that...Core B with SOTW. She also posts some great links to online games and notebooking pages. Looks like she has skipped many chapters in SOTW (or at least not blogged them) but I imagine that is because she is matching it up with SL. I think she is intending to share her schedule that blends the two. Click her Story of the World 1 tag to see related posts.

http://homeschoolblogger.com/bbbandl/

We're doing straight through SOTW but I visit her blog often to look for ideas for whatever chapter we are on.

Thanks. I had seen that. Since I posted this, I went through and correlated and mapped both curricula out side-by-side. Should be good to go. Trying to get everything laid out as best as I can before DH leaves (as it is he's already in Afghanistan for two weeks right now). Feeling good. :)