Menu

Does this curriculum exist?

razorbackmama

I know of them for particular subjects, but the whole box? Maybe Kolbe? VP can be if you buy the Scholar's plans to go with it.
Mostly history is what I'm looking for, though admittedly science would be a dream too!

Easy Classical is kind of like that. It sort of follows WTM, but it also has some Veritas Press flavor to it.
What is a "Veritas Press flavor?" I can't get Easy Classical's website to work properly.:confused:

Memoria Press is pretty close with the exception of four year cycle history and science Check out their samples.
I will - thanks!

I have eyeballed them in the past. I think when I was looking it wasn't complete or something. I can't remember what the deal was exactly. It has been a couple years.

They have level 1 (grammar stage) and level 2 (logic stage) complete now. Level 3 is nearly there. The history doesn't precisely line up between them, so they may not all be studying the same war on the same week, but it does a lot of the grunt work for you.

Well I will literally will have 7 children grades PreK-12th when my oldest is a senior. I can't be doing all different grades LOLOL. Can you combine with Easy Classical?

If you don't get a graded set, yes. Look at just the history schedules or just the science schedules. You can put anyone in 1-6 in those.

Have you seen Biblioplan? It is loosely structured in three blocks (per week) of learning for history. It has a highschool supplement. You can spread it out over more than three days. Biblioplan is based on the WTM approach. You need to know what you want to do though. There are a lot of choices and it is up to you to pick what you need.(as far as the literature goes).

We tend to take a relaxed approach to science through living books.

My oldest will be 7th Grade next year and we are going to begin General Science.

You could use the Apologia Young Explorer series for your younger (6th grade and under) ones- they make companions for youngers and olders.

If you really want to combine- this is what I would do.

I hope this helps,

Rebecca

I'm sorry I was vague earlier about the Veritas Press "flavor." That was totally non-descriptive. What I meant was that Easy Classical uses some curricula that are recommended by VP, not WTM. I think specifically those may be Shurley Grammar and the VP history cards...? Also, I think they recommend doing a study of the US states in 1st before going on to do ancients in 2nd. Someone else who has uses it can speak up here, I've just looked at the samples. But, it does seem to lay out science for you according to the WTM, and the history is pretty similar.

Elemental Science is great for the science portion, too.

Have you seen Biblioplan? It is loosely structured in three blocks (per week) of learning for history. It has a highschool supplement. You can spread it out over more than three days. Biblioplan is based on the WTM approach. You need to know what you want to do though. There are a lot of choices and it is up to you to pick what you need.(as far as the literature goes).

We tend to take a relaxed approach to science through living books.

My oldest will be 7th Grade next year and we are going to begin General Science.

You could use the Apologia Young Explorer series for your younger (6th grade and under) ones- they make companions for youngers and olders.

If you really want to combine- this is what I would do.

I hope this helps,

Rebecca

We used BP at the beginning of this year. Way too much planning.:glare:

Currently we are using Sonlight and love it, but boy I'd love a Sonlight meets WTM curriculum. Maybe I can write my own someday. :lol:

• 4 months later...
I'm sorry I was vague earlier about the Veritas Press "flavor." That was totally non-descriptive. What I meant was that Easy Classical uses some curricula that are recommended by VP, not WTM. I think specifically those may be Shurley Grammar and the VP history cards...? Also, I think they recommend doing a study of the US states in 1st before going on to do ancients in 2nd. Someone else who has uses it can speak up here, I've just looked at the samples. But, it does seem to lay out science for you according to the WTM, and the history is pretty similar.

Elemental Science is great for the science portion, too.

I've spent some time plugging around Easy Classical (though my schedules haven't arrived yet) and thought I'd add what I've learned. I myself purchased the 2nd grade schedules and plan to use them next year; I've had some challenges lately with Button and need to dedicate myself to parenting and not curriculum-planning.

Easy Classical provides schedules to use resources that you purchase separately (there are links on their site for all the resources). There are "main" schedules for each grade, covering phonics, spelling, handwriting (Getty-Dubay), grammar (Shurley), bible verses to memorize, Latin for grades 2 and up (starts Song School, then Latin for Children), art (Drawing with Children), physical fitness and music -- recorder in 2nd, though they strongly suggest Suzuki lessons. Schedules are for 5 days/week; I may have forgotten a subject or 2. I plan to replace Shurley with FLL, and Drawing with Children with Mark Kistler lessons: the horizontal format of the schedules means it will be easy to mark these tweaks on the plans.

Writing is IEW, and across the curriculum esp. with their "Writing With History" schedule (a purchase separate from the main schedule or the history one).

History follows the VP pattern, with state history in grade 1 where VP has no history. 2nd is Old Testament/Egyptians; things move along and finish with moderns in 6th, and SOTW is one of the spines. The history is creationist & Reformed . I am neither but want the children very familiar with the Bible and with the creationist theologies in our culture, and am quite comfortable teaching the Bible study from my humanist perspective: but time will tell if I'm up to it! The history schedules are written so that they may be used across the range of ages, 2-6, with 2 levels of independent readers and supplemental resources sometimes suggested for the younger (History Pockets) or older (more in-depth books) children.

There is a supplemental history schedule for music, for geography, and for writing, though not all of these topics are written for all years yet. I did purchase all of them for 2nd grade/OT & Ancients. The geography looks lovely, a cultural geography Passport-style program. The Writing seems like it will ease our transition into IEW. I'm esp. happy with the music program, since music is currently a shortcoming and music lessons are not something I have planned for next year: the lessons include notation, identifying instruments, rhythm, &c.

Science follows TWTM. Again, the schedules are written for a range of ages and the schedules highlight specific resources for the younger & older sets and are creationist/young earth in outlook.