Menu

Just received CLE's new Kindergarten II -- like it!

alisoncooks

Anyone else order CLE's new Kindergarten II program?

I got it for my youngest DD. At first glance, I was kicking myself ("Bah, more workbooks? What was I thinking?!") But after having a thorough look-through, I'm excited to use them!

They are quite similar to R&S's ABC series in content. There are 5 workbooks that focus on letters, letter sounds, numbers, and there are 5 corresponding activity books that do "fun" stuff like mazes, color recognition, positional words, etc.

What I really like is these books are separated into lessons (which is rather helpful for this planner). Just from my quick glance, I think this could easily be a 30-week K program (5 workbooks with around 6 "lessons" in each...each "lesson" is several pages long and could be spread out over a week's span).

This looks like a Jr. version of CLE's LTR program (it does mention it's a prep program for that). In fact, by the end of these lessons, the books are presenting 3-letter words (sad, dad).

Initially, I'd planned these for DD's preschool year (age 4, this fall) but I feel comfortable saving this for her kinder year (and just adding in read-alouds and science/art w/ big sis). It feels pretty complete to me, but gentle. I may even like the feel of this better (dare I say) than the R&S books. (And I think they're pretty nifty.) I prefer the layout of this, for sure. Easier for my "planning" brain to wrap around. I'll probably have the binding removed and file these by week/lesson.

Anyone else buy this new program? What do you think about it?

I saw those on the website and thought they look interesting; thanks for the more thorough review. I've been looking for something for my 4 year old--she is working her way through the R&S workbooks (which she loves), and is begging for more papers to do. She adores filling out workbooks. Loves it. Squealed with delight when she got the R&S books as a birthday present.:lol:

Her brothers think she is crazy.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered the R&S ABC books for my DS4 and expect him to use them for the remainder of the year and first part of next. I am looking for something to finish off next year that is similar to the R&S, CLE may be it! :)

Here is a basic breakdown of the first books for those that want to see the scope/sequence of material taught... (this was just copied from the table of contents).

Workbook 1

1. Intro listening to sounds, tracing lines/circles, writing #1, recognize & count 1-3
  2. Intro letter Dd /d/, write #2, write letter d, recognize/count 1-4
  3. Intro Ss /s/, writing #3, writing letter s, recognize and count 1-5
  4. Review /d/ /s/ /m/, write #5, match capital & lowercase d, s, m
  5. Intro Aa /a/, write letter A, introduce patterns, recognize & count 1-7

Activity Book 1

1. Recognize word "red", same/different, maze, cut-out things that belong
  2. recognize "red", same/different, listening skills activities, cut-out duck picture
  3. Recognize word "yellow", dot maps, listening skills, cut out activity for /m/
  4. distinguish between word "red" and "yellow", same/different, maze, cut-out activity for number order
  5. review color words/dot maps, same/different, listening skills, cut-out left and right

So you can see the basic idea. The workbook covers letters/numbers...the activity book is other basic skills.

Oh, and there is a Teacher's Guide. I think you *could* do without it....but I'm glad I went ahead and got it. There are a few pages in each week that are just a picture; the teacher's guide tells you what to do/look for. But you could probably come up with your own activity pretty easily (i.e. "find the pictures that begin with /d/") if money is tight.

I've heard about it but did not see samples I could view online. I am using the RS for PreK. Should I use Cle for K or just skip it.
I think the 2 are different enough that if you kiddo likes workbooks, this would be a good K year following R&S. Actually, I think they have samples up now.

Is there a lot of math in this--other than just writing numbers and counting? Perhaps in the later workbooks?

My dd is already reading c-v-c words, but is lacking in math. I'm wondering if there is enough in the books to keep her busy or if it would be too easy for her.

Well, here is a sampling of the math in the 5th workbook (so the last and, I assume, most difficult math of the program):

• counting by 10s to 100
  • 10s and 1s blocks
  • very basic (with pictures) addition and subtraction
  • counting, dot-to-dot numbers, fill in missing number with larger #s (for example, the very last page is a dot-to-dot starting at 40 and going to 59.

A sample reading page near the end of the 5th workbook is:

• matching the words sun, jug, bug, mug, bus to their pictures
  • This sentence: The fat pig ran.