Menu

Did anyone NOT use a program to teach reading?

maizeydaizey

I have read many threads on here about reading programs. And, it makes me wonder if everyone uses a program?

We never used a program to teach reading to DD -- we just read a ton together, talked about rules as they came up and practiced. It just came naturally to her. She started reading at four and her skill has just improved from there.

She is in first grade and we do use Horizon's books called 'Reading & Phonics' but it's not a learn to read program rather a rules on phonics for spelling and writing.

Was just curious... maybe I handled this all wrong :) I have her little brother coming up behind and wonder if I'll do something different with him.

My daughter started reading early readers at 3 years of age mostly by sight reading I believe though she had tried to sound out the word "opposites" from the cover of one of her books when she was 2 years old. By 3.5 I knew she would need some help to move to other books and I do believe in phonics so I started OPGTR but did not use it as scripted. A year and a half later she is now reading very well though requests most reading to be shared reading (I read some and she reads some - usually a paragraph each)

Children can learn to read in many different ways and many do very well despite how we teach them. There was an article somewhere that said 50% of children will learn to read no matter what method you use, 25% need sequential phonics and I forget what they said about the other 25%. I guess you will have to play it by ear with your son though I do suspect that most boys do better with a structured phonics approach (no statistics, but it was Johnny and not Janet who supposedly couldn't read back when only sight words were being taught)

If your daughter is doing great you didn't handle it wrong for her - you did very well and so did she, but you may still need a different approach with your next child.

You're obviously not doing it wrong if it worked for you.

Some kids seem to intuit reading, while other kids need explicit instruction. I've got a couple of kids who picked up reading pretty much on their own, and a couple of others who really needed more instruction.

As long as it gets them reading, writing and spelling, it's all good.

My 2nd grader is like that. We did letter sounds, he listened in to his brother's lessons, and read together - not even 'intentionally', just the reading in life, and he took off. I'm doing SWR for the same reason, to go over phonics and work on spelling / writing. My 4th grader is towards the other end of the spectrum. It sounds like what you've done is great! Whether or not it will work on her brother, who knows? That's the frustrating beauty of kids.... I don't know how my Ker will do, even though he can blend, so I'm hoping he leans towards the natural side of things. :P

I have read many threads on here about reading programs. And, it makes me wonder if everyone uses a program?

I don't!

We never used a program to teach reading to DD -- we just read a ton together, talked about rules as they came up and practiced.

The McGuffey's Primer is great for doing that with. That is what I use.

I like the first grade Pathway Readers because I get a lot of words for my money and they are hard to memorize, unlike picture books which rhyme or have a couple sentences on the page. My children "read" those without looking at the words.:D

She is in first grade and we do use Horizon's books called 'Reading & Phonics' but it's not a learn to read program rather a rules on phonics for spelling and writing.

We use The Writing Road to Reading (tweaked and on-and-off) for spelling by phonics. We didn't start it until my oldest was reading fluently.

Was just curious... maybe I handled this all wrong :) I have her little brother coming up behind and wonder if I'll do something different with him.

I'm on child #3 without a learn-how-to-read program.

I never implemented a full-on curriculum to teach the girls to read. We read to them from birth. I let them watch all the Leap Frog videos. I let them play around with HOP (readers and CD-ROM games). I led them through the first couple of BOB books. Then they just took off and were reading everything in the house. So I was kind of lazy with reading instruction. ;)

A lot of children will just figure out about 90% of what they need to know by themselves. It's your choice whether you want to spend a lot of time and money attending to filling in the last 10%. Also, it pays to think about teaching a child a system of reading/spelling instruction, so they can teach other people less gifted than themselves.

It is not wrong to skip reading and spelling instruction with a child who is reading and spelling at grade level, or above.

I taught myself and did pretty well, but never learned that last 10% and am enjoying filling in the missing pieces, and also learning how to be a better tutor and teacher.

I did not use a program with either my oldest or my middle DD (she is 4 and began reading a few months ago). We read a phonics-based easy reader every day (we have a selection) and as new things come up, I just explain them. I really considered using a program with her, but she's doing great on her own, so I'll probably just leave well enough alone.

Children can learn to read in many different ways and many do very well despite how we teach them.

If your daughter is doing great you didn't handle it wrong for her - you did very well and so did she, but you may still need a different approach with your next child.

:iagree:

I will add that your daughter could have done well not in spite of, but because you were mindful of her process and intuitively found ways to meet her with what she needed.

I am confident you will do the same with your son.:001_smile: BRAVO!

I didn't use a program with dd7. Like yours, she was reading well by age 4. But now that I have SWR, I wish I had had known about it sooner. While dd still reads well above grade level, she has a lot of difficulty sounding out new words. But she only needs to see it a couple of times for her to remember it. She is clearly memorizing those words and not sounding them out, and I want her to be able to read new words. We are at the end of our second year, and it has been really good for her. But old habits die hard, and we will continue to work on this for a while.

My ds4 has an even greater propensity for sight reading, and I am so thankful I can start SWR with him from the beginning.

Yes and no. DD5 started reading well before we used a program, but we're still going through a program with her now. I want her to have an understanding of the rules. We've yet to hit any words she doesn't know (we're going through Phonics Pathways and she's doing ETC when she wants to), but learning the rules can only help later on.

While dd still reads well above grade level, she has a lot of difficulty sounding out new words.

My son had trouble too. He would guess based on the context and the first couple letters of the word. Showing him how to read big word in lists in The McGuffey Speller worked for him. It worked really quickly.

yes, I did use a reading program for my children. My older son did learn how to read by 4 years old on his own, but I feel that teaching my child phonics help a lot with spelling. My children won the spelling bee when they were little without a spelling curriculum because I taught them phonics. For example, my younger son was taught that the "tion" makes the "shun" sound. So, at the spelling bee, when he was in first grade, he got the word "mentioned." He heard the word he sounded it out and figured the "men" in "mentioned." Then he remembered the sound "shun" is "tion." So, he breezed through the word and spelled it correctly. I like the idea of teaching phonics to help with spelling because what you hear is not always how it is spelled. So, I would teach phonics because I think it is the best way of teaching a child how to spell. It is better than spelling rules.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony