Menu

Tick-tock...end of school year. Argggg!

I deal with that problem by having "finish up days". We drop the subjects that are done for the year and do extra lessons of things we still need to finish. We will be finishing up our school year in the next 2 weeks (we start very early) and dd will be done with history, reading, WWE, and spelling for sure. We have some math we need to review, science to finish, and the bonus lessons in FLL3 to do.

I know some people will just let those last lessons go as the beginning of a new year often has a lot of review. I can't do that. I'm not wired that way. ;)

Same for us -- we school all year. That means we can take time off when needed or just because it is sunny and DH is free! I do try to set dates to finish this course by. If I didn't some things would never end--unit studies especially. This does lead to odd start dates. I am sure not many are on week one of a SL core but we are. We finish everything especially the math. Frequently the best stuff is in the last chapters. Early introduction to major topics like algebra and trig. are always at the end. Its a huge confidence boost when they know they have completed those chapters.

I know what I have just said isn't a huge help if you really have to stop for summer. When I have to stop for some reason I start planning a month or two out. Double up on math if needed. Maybe skip a read aloud or two. Not so many worksheets. Skip review pages in workbooks. Check your status every week and adjust accordingly. There is nothing wrong with concentrating on one area if that is the one that must be finished. Try to break it up in 15 minute sessions over your school day.