Menu

Ugh. Multisyllabic words.

Dyslexic ds just cannot get these. He has done pretty well reading with all the intensive phonics/AAS work we have done, but he just gets completely flummoxed whenever he hits a multisyllabic word and immediately guesses. We have done some syllable breakdowns in AAS 1 & 2, but not more than 2 syllables. How can I teach him how to break apart the word to read it instead of guessing by context? He has no idea where to start with sounding it out; no intuition at all.

Does AAS include learning and practicing the syllabication rules/guidelines? Barton provides pretty intensive practice, and my dyslexic dd10 can sound out 4 syllable words accurately. If AAs doesn't, you could find the rules online and then make lists of words to practice with.

Edited by LizzyBee

Does AAS include learning and practicing the syllabication rules/guidelines? Barton provides pretty intensive practice, and my dyslexic dd10 can sound out 4 syllable words accurately. If AAs doesn't, you could find the rules online and then make lists of words to practice with.

It does, but since it is designed for spelling, the instruction is not coming fast enough for reading. We have only gone over the rules for syllabication in 2 syllable words. The rest of the instruction is spread out over the next 4 levels.

I think our neuropsychs recommended Reading Pathways for syllabication work. Has anyone had success with that?

Edited by FairProspects

Your son sounds like mine. I use Barton and he's suddenly struggling with multisyllable words when he's perfectly fine with single syllables. It's so frustrating (for both him and me). I've heard good things about Reading Pathways and am going to order that. The psychologist who did his neuro-psych eval suggested Great Leaps. I haven't used that yet, but my neighbor has and she said it helped her son some.

My dd is not dyslexic, so I don't know if this will be helpful for you, but we did have problems with multisyllabic words also. We used Dianne Craft's technique, I believe it was mentioned in the Right Brain Phonics book. It involved covering up all but the last syllable, and making the child sound out the word from the last syllable up, sorting of backing into saying the whole word. Do you know what I mean? Like for "transportation," cover up everything except "tion," and then once they said that, uncover "tation" and have them say that, and then uncover "portation" and so on until you get to the beginning of the word. Sounds weird, but it helped my dd. A little practice every day.

I was reading the thread that has to do with words written in a variety of colors and wondering if that might help with multisyllabic words. Has anyone tried it?

I think I will and will report back.

I am thinking things like:

transportation

http://www.amazon.com/Week-Phonics-Activities-Intermediate-Grades/dp/0439465893/ref=pd_sim_b_3#_

He is not there yet -- but I am looking at this book for my son. I have not bought it yet, just looked at the amazon sample, but it appears to just have kids memorize syllable chunks. I think that would be a good approach for him. Start with having him memorize some syllable chunks and then teach him about the other things -- I think it might be a little easier for him.

Right now he is in Abecedarian Level B, and Level C is multisyllable words. Rewards is really highly recommended a lot -- but I haven't seen a copy of it, either.

edit: I mean, I might work through the first 20 or 50 syllable chunks to memorize (depending on how fast he picks them up... but in theory they are one-syllable and maybe he will pick them up, lol). Then use another program to generalize. That is just what I'm thinking right now.

He is still working on one -syllable words and fluency right now, lol.

Edited by Lecka