Menu

Middle Ages for High School

We are finishing up TOG Y1. Don't want to proceed with Y2 for several reasons. Difficult, because I really like the discussions and depth of study. Two boys, rising 10th & 8th grade. Any recommendations for history which incorporates the Middle Ages? Would love a program with multiple subjects =)

Anyone used Mystery of History with high school?

TIA,

Teresa

Edited by tvaleri
more info

:lurk5:

I'm in a similar position. I will have an 11th grader & a 7th grader in the fall, plus 3 younger ones...and one at the community college. I just don't know that I want to go the TOG route. I've been collecting my ideas here. I'd really like something on the lighter side for my 11th grader because she wants to incorporate as much hands-on via the SCA as possible. :)

I am looking seriously at Diana Waring's History Revealed curriculum and it looks great. It is newly updated with lots of options. You can see many samples online. It is a 3-year cycle, so you'll probably want to look at the RRR set (Romans, Reformers, and Revolutionaries). Each year is divided into 9 units (1/month), so I would think you could just pick up where you want to be in the middle ages. When comparing it to Mystery of History, they seem very similar, except that DW appears to be on a much deeper level. If you look at the samples, you will see that it allows for much flexibility.

Good Luck!

My daughter takes a Latin 1 live class through Rolling Acres. They are offering a live Middle Ages history class for 2012-2013. The prices are very reasonable. They teach with an authentic classical approach. Classes are college prepatory and very thorough. You can see samples here:

http://www.therollingacresfarm.com/school/COURSE_CATALOGUE.php

The reading list on the page you linked to is a good resource too.

Wish I had another student. Oh, the options that appear each year!

We are finishing up TOG Y1. Don't want to proceed with Y2 for several reasons. Difficult, because I really like the discussions and depth of study. Two boys, rising 10th & 8th grade. Any recommendations for history which incorporates the Middle Ages? Would love a program with multiple subjects =)

Anyone used Mystery of History with high school?

TIA,

Teresa

Have you looked at World History & Lit from MFW? This fits two of your requirements - incorporates Middle Ages and has multiple subjects - but not probably recommended for the 8th grader...

Checked Biblioplan's site. Looks great! However, Medieval history won't be available for high school until summer =( Do I really want to be waiting on the company to begin our school year?

Frustrated,

Teresa

I've been told it will be ready by June. Is there something you could study until then, a short course in World Geography, or go in depth on a topic the kids are interested in? I'm doing BP Year 1 now, but since dh's a school teacher we follow a traditional school schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at BF, but noticed a gap between the Fall of Rome and the Magna Carta. Contacted BF Books. Per Josh Berg, BF Medieval History guide is being updated to address this issue and will be ready late summer, early fall.

Why oh why are all the curricula I like being revamped and unavailable for preview????

Argh,

Teresa

We enjoyed Omnibus 2 for Medieval year. We skipped some of the secondary and just did mainly the primary books.

At his college interview, ds said his favorite Great Book was Song of Roland. :D

We didn't do all the writing, as we had no progymnasmata experience, but you could easily do some essays and research alongside.

It covered theology, history and literature.

They have books one thru six now--when we did it, they only had one thru three, but the reading was plenty for us, even tho it's used in 8th grade. You could beef it up a little by requiring more history that is taught directly, like using full chapters of Spielvogel, or reading thru SWB's adult medieval plus Spielvogel (since she doesn't quite cover up to Early Mods in her second book).