Menu

Typing Programs

mamakimberly

We've used DancePad typing (or whatever that BBC thing is called) and my girls are pretty bored with it after a year.

I'm looking to mix up their typing with something else.

I always prefer free and online. I do not want a cd-based program as their computer does not have a cd/dvd drive (we use an external one when they need one but it is a pain).

Thanks for any ideas!

Also, wondering when others stop using a typing program. My older daughter took a few typing tests and is around 30 wpm. I'm wondering at what point I should consider her "graduated" from typing. Thoughts?

Susan, those look good!

And that's a good idea- I may have her drop to maybe 1 day a week of it just to keep her fresh.

She types stories a lot, so I think she will maintain her speed, but it is such a useful skill in life- I'd hate for her to lose it! I assume it is similar to a bicycle- once you have it, you maintain it?

Sorry for the slight hijack.

I looked at the two links in Susan's post. I like the typing games and want to know if there are any online typing games for specific keys. For instance, if my dd masters the home row, are there any games (preferably girly-games) that test only the homerow keys? Are there games where I can specify at the start which keys it should test?

We love Typing Instructor for Kids. I also purchased it from Amazon and downloaded it directly to the kids' laptop.

I looked at the two links in Susan's post. I like the typing games and want to know if there are any online typing games for specific keys. For instance, if my dd masters the home row, are there any games (preferably girly-games) that test only the homerow keys? Are there games where I can specify at the start which keys it should test?

Typing Instructor for kids does that. I can't say that they're all "girly" games, though, but they have instruction, a typing test, and then a game for each set of keys learned. It introduces each set of keys incrementally, and tests for both accuracy and words per minute.

I told my 9 year old that when he passes the tests with accuracy and at least 20-25 wpm, he can stop doing the typing program as "school" every day and just play for fun.

BTW, this is something we started over the summer last year when my kids had just turned 9 & 7. They enjoy it much more now - they're about to turn 10 & 8. We haven't done typing at all through most of the school year, but added it back into our daily routine a few weeks ago because we've started finishing up other school subjects for the year. I plan to continue through the summer and will ease up on typing when we start school again in the fall.

I'm using the Dictation Resource Book from Spelling Plus, and dictating sentences for DS9 to type. I have him use a Word document. We are spending 10 minutes a day. He is at a lower level in the Dictation Resource Book than in our main program (SWR), so the words are a good review, and easy enough to focus on the typing / punctuation / capitals / computer skills / etc. - I love hitting multiple subjects at once.) I plan to have my 2nd son follow the same path when he completes Dance Mat. After that, I'm assuming they will be typing for narrations and writing so they will keep the skills. I'm requiring them to touch type with good form, but I'm not worried about super speeds.