Menu

One year American History..

Jinmi

My 7 year old is doing SL Core C this year, next year we're doing American History. I've looked at SL Core D+E and it looks like she could handle it.. but I've been looking at other options too (because of their changes).

I know about MFW Adventures & HOD Bigger but haven't found much else for American History for a rising 3rd grader. :bigear:

We did a pieced together US history this year, using the SL book lists (but not their schedule, Lamplighter book of US history, VP history cards for US history (red and yellow), The Complete book of US History, and the Complete book of States and Presidents. DD has enjoyed it quite a bit, but now says that she wants to go back to World history because it's "more fun" :).

We are doing American History this year and I finally found something that I like. I am using the Spotlight on America series and including projects from Time Travelers cd's and History Pockets. I also add in living books where I can to add to it. The spotlight series has many different activities to choose from, including text about the period, tests, readers theater, and LA. We are just picking and choosing what we want to do. Hopefully by next year I will have a schedule for my next dd to follow. I also add in books and she loves all the history shows on TV and Netflix.

I was originally really against piecing a curriculum together and wanted something all set up. I really like the Trail Guide series from Geo Matters and it would have worked perfectly for my dd now doing AH but I just found it and it's too late to start. It will not work for my next dd, so I am staying with the Spotlight books.

HTH:001_smile:

Edited by fourcatmom

I tried doing Sonlights one year core for American History when my daugther was in 3rd grade. She wasn't prepared for that at all. If your child is a bit more mature than mine, she possibly could, but there was too much writing for my writing phobic daughter and the maturity level was too high. So it didn't work out for us. I'm not sure when it will since I had to find something else for that year, but I still have it in hopes I can use it some day, probably with my next child. We'll see. It's a good core, just too advanced for my 3rd grader.

You could put your own curriculum together.

One option is to use A First Book in American History (Edward Eggleston) as a spine.

Another of his books called Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans goes along with it well and is a kid favorite.

You could then add in some hands on projects (3 or 4 lapbooks, notebooking, history pockets, etc.), a basic timeline, and/or memory work (excerpts of the founding documents, presidents, etc.)

Other books you could use as a spine are:

Mara Pratt's four volume set called American History Stories. (I really like these, but they have not been revised since they were written about 1900. I pre-read and edited them with a Sharpie. If you have the time, I think these are worth the effort.)

Memoria Press sells H.A. Guerber's two volume set in one book: The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic. I am planning on using these next year.

None of these options cover the last 100 years of American history. To cover that section, this year I have decided this year to do a basic overview of the presidents and major events of their presidencies.

Thanks for the suggestions! I know I could put I together myself but I was hoping to find something open and go, I'm thinking I'll be piecing it together myself though.

Wow, really? Can you expand on this? Why you think it isn't enough for a 1st grader? Thx.

No, I think it's to light for my 3rd grader. :001_smile:

Edited by Jinmi