Menu

Need art and science suggestions for K-2nd in a small co-op

JRmommy

Four families including myself are thinking about forming a small co-op to meet twice a month. We are thinking about doing art and science for our K-2nd graders. Any suggestions?

For science, we would like to do a science project each time we meet with an introduction/explanation. It would be nice to have the kids follow the scientific method. A Christian based curriculum would be ideal, but not necessary.

I was thinking about using one of Janice Van Cleave's books. I would love to hear any ideas you may have.

For art, we are open to suggestions. Maybe study an artist and do a corresponding project? Again, your suggestions are welcomed!

I have taught both of these in the past in co-op situations. I'll share the bokks & ideas I used:

I LOVE the books by Kohl. The first time I used them, I had 25 children in my co-op class ranging from K to 4th grade. The books are arranged so that you can use them with varying age groups. There is a brief biography on each artist with an art activity that will correspond to the technique or some other aspect of their art. Each activity is coded (at the top of the page) for difficulty. The supplies & the instructions are clearly written for each activity. They even have photos of other children's art work.

I have used both Discovering Great Artists & Great American Artists. Each time I used these books, I created a DVD slide show presentation (by pulling images off the internet) for the artist we were studying that week. You could easily go to the library & get picture books & save yourself a lot of time.

One year, I created an art class myself by just searching on-line for unique types of art which used recycled items. That was a fun class...but gathering all the recycled items too quite a bit of time.

Somewhere I have the syllabus for the classes I have taught. If I can lay my hands on them, I can email the files to you. (No sense in recreating the wheel when you can ride on someone else's!)

For science...my passion...I usually pull from several different texts so that I was able to cover different areas of science. Real Science for Kids is a great text with strong emphasis on scientific method & they have levels for all elementary ages. Noeo Science is another fun living book - hands on science for young ones. It has a great balance of different types of science (where if you go with the RS4K, you are stuck in one type of science - bio, chem, phy).

Well, that's all I have for you for tonight! Best of luck! Remember...it's all about making it fun & discovering at this age!! You will be the FUN teacher with these 2 subjects!!!

~Kimberly

I meet with two other families and do atelier. That way we share the cost and the dvd teach the art lesson. After watching dvd we do the project. And atelier is on sale at homeschool buyers coop right now until end of april.

Science:

Elemental Science

Janice Van Cleave's Books

Real Science 4 Kids

Art:

Harmony Fine Arts (Also does composer study, possibility of a take home study for the composers?)

Mary-Ann Kohl Books

Artistic Pursuits.

All these would work well in a co-op environment I believe. :001_smile: