Menu

Cakes for Easter? need suggestions...

Last year, we made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and a lemon cake with raspberry filling and lemon frosting. This year, my mother took Easter, but we volunteered to make the cakes (and deviled eggs. :001_smile:)

I was thinking one chocolate and one not, as that is my usual formula for desserts. So we will either do chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting in a bunny shape, or a black forest cake. That just leaves another cake? It will be the same people as last year, so we can't do the lemon/raspberry again (though my dc are begging anyway.) Any suggestions - with links or recipes if possible? Fancy cupcakes would work, too. Or maybe a fluffy cheesake recipe?

I'd do the lemon cake again. If your children want it again everyone else might want it also. :001_smile:

Also, you should post the recipe because it sounds amazing.

The sad thing is that I just took a white box mix and white frosting in a can and added fresh lemon zest and juice and yellow food coloring. ;) I sliced round cakes in half, then layered them with seedless raspberry jelly and frosted the whole thing and agrnished with raspberries. Everyone went crazy, and I had to tell them it was a boxed cake mix. :D

I like to try something new every year. That was my experiment in teaching dds how to fix up a box mix, which is a 4-H category here.

If you want to try something a bit different, an ice cream cake is easy. Layers of softened ice cream and whatever else you choose--crumbled cookies, brownies, chocolate chips, whipped cream or traditional cake.

Unfortunately, it has to travel. Otherwise, I would go fo ice cream in an instant!

Why not do the lemon again? It has been a whole year, yes? Lemon seems so Easterish.

We always have a pound cake baked in the lamb cake mold, and cheese cake with a double batch of lemon curd for folks to dump on top if desired (my fil gets his own jar of extra curd to take home and gobble up as he loves it so.) I asked if I could make tiramisu instead this year and the gasps of horror.....cheese cake and lemon curd it is, again.

Not for Easter, but dd1's birthday is tomorrow and I'm making a raspberry whipped cream cake for her from the latest issue of Everyday Food magazine. She picked it out when she browsed through the magazine :)