Menu

Favorite Board Games that can be educational

Mandylubug

Wanting games that are beneficial to play during school time but also fun for "off times" like when we go camping; have friends over, etc.

I have on my list:

Yahtzee

Scrabble

Bananagrams

I want simple games that are playable with adults and kids.

So what are your favorites?

Rat-a-tat Cat and Sleeping Queens are two beautiful card games by Gamewright games. It uses simple math in the games. All of us love playing these games from age 4 and up. How many games can you say you enjoy playing with young children? The best part is that you don't have to play dumb for them to win!

I also love Money by Knizia. The cards are beautiful copies of all types of currency around the world. You are trying to collect the most of one or two types of currency to earn the most points. This involves a ton of adding and subtracting two and three digit numbers. Although all number end in 5 or 0.

Recommend for older kids.

Memoir '44 is a wonderful two player game that reenacts battles from World War II. Each set up gives you some history of the battle. A great game if you are studying WWII. My 10yo ds could play this without issue.

Edited by Briartell

10 days in Europe - love this one

If you want some game ideas look on Timberdoodle.com - i always find some good ideas on there!

The 10 days in . . . Is a fabulous series. You can get one for Africa, Asia, USA, South America. The maps aren't super accurate but it is close enough for the kids to learn where all the country's and major waters are.

I like YamSlam. It's like Yahtzee but it's in it's own tin with chips instead of keeping track on a score card so it's easy to pack and play anywhere.

Another great board game if your children like horses is Herd Your Horses. I don't mind playing it over and over and the children learn to make interesting moves.

Also we like Labyrinth by Ravensburger. Not a great game to take camping but lots of fun and is different every time.