Menu

Prima Latina or Latin for Children? Also how long to study latin

I've been rereading TWTM the last few weeks and really want to add latin into our studies for next year.

What program to choose? SWB recommends a part-whole instruction in Latin. I know that Prima Latina teaches this way because this is one of SWB's recs.. but does Latin for Children also teach this way? Does one require the parent to know more Latin than the other?

I have NO Latin background at all.

How long is a good amount of tme to teach latin? I do want my children to learn a modern language as well. Should I do latin now and then another language later. I can't remember SWB's recs on this and I haven't gotten that far in the book yet.

I would be using it with a 4th grader 9yrs old.

I really don't know anything about LFC, so hopefully someone can chime in with a comparison.

We do use Prima Latina here. I have no Latin background either but I've found it very easy to teach.

There are a couple schools of thought on how long to teach. One says it's great to give kids exposure to Latin for a couple years so they have the experience, and that it will help them with their English grammar, and with learning additional languages. The other side says the real benefit of Latin doesn't come until you've studied it for several years in order to gain proficiency. You can make good arguments for either side. Personally, we'll probably study it for a year or two, then move to study of Latin and Greek roots, adding in a modern language.

One thing to note: PL uses Ecclesiastic pronunciation, while LFC uses Classical. There's not a huge difference, but it's something to know.

Good luck! I know they're both solid programs.

I don't know much about LFC , I did compare the two and though LFC seems fun it just wasn't as interesting on video as the Prima Latina was.

PL is great if you are Catholic and want to teach your child(ren) the prayers in Latin or attend a Latin Rite church. I also like the sound of Ecclesiastical Latin versus Classical.

LIke someone else mentioned they are both soild programs. It just depends on what you are looking for. I found the LC series much better in comparision when it came to the DVD. Content wise the LFC books are a little more visually appealing but they are both incremental programs.

I would go to their websites and check out the the videos ( I strongly encourage using them if you have no Latin background) and see which one you prefer.

I really don't know anything about LFC, so hopefully someone can chime in with a comparison.

We do use Prima Latina here. I have no Latin background either but I've found it very easy to teach.

There are a couple schools of thought on how long to teach. One says it's great to give kids exposure to Latin for a couple years so they have the experience, and that it will help them with their English grammar, and with learning additional languages. The other side says the real benefit of Latin doesn't come until you've studied it for several years in order to gain proficiency. You can make good arguments for either side. Personally, we'll probably study it for a year or two, then move to study of Latin and Greek roots, adding in a modern language.

One thing to note: PL uses Ecclesiastic pronunciation, while LFC uses Classical. There's not a huge difference, but it's something to know.

Good luck! I know they're both solid programs.

Thanks for your reply. I just skipped ahead i chapters in TWTM and she suggests the latter of the two. Doing Latin for many years and adding in a modern language as well. I like this approach but wonder if it will be doable with teaching other chidren as well.

Do you know what difference it makes in pronounciation? Which one is more important for which areas of study? Not sure if I even made sense there... do you understand what I am asking?

I know Prima Latina is geared for your younger age kids (1st-3rd). LFC is geared for 3rd through 5th. (People have used both of these products outside of these grade ranges, but these are the ranges the publishers give.)

Song School Latin is the geared-to-the-younger crowd product from CAP. I don't know much about it, but I thought it was whole-to-parts.

I think LFC is parts-to-whole.

Both MP & CAP's programs are solid. Both design for people who don't know Latin themselves.

I have a friend using LFC. We are using MP. Both families are learning Latin. MP stuff isn't as "fun" (unless you add that into your planning yourself using games), but it is getting the job done.

I don't really think the pronunciation matters long-term. Many have switched from Ecc. to Classical. (Because I hear the Latin prayed aloud, I'm partial to Ecclesiastic.)

Here's CAP's note on pronunciation. Here is an article on the "Short History of Latin Pronunciation" from one of the MP people.

Edited by RootAnn
added a note on pronunciation

I know Prima Latina is geared for your younger age kids (1st-3rd). LFC is geared for 3rd through 5th. (People have used both of these products outside of these grade ranges, but these are the ranges the publishers give.)

Song School Latin is the geared-to-the-younger crowd product from CAP. I don't know much about it, but I thought it was whole-to-parts.

I think LFC is parts-to-whole.

Both MP & CAP's programs are solid. Both design for people who don't know Latin themselves.

I have a friend using LFC. We are using MP. Both families are learning Latin. MP stuff isn't as "fun" (unless you add that into your planning yourself using games), but it is getting the job done.

I don't really think the pronunciation matters long-term. Many have switched from Ecc. to Classical. (Because I hear the Latin prayed aloud, I'm partial to Ecclesiastic.)

Here's CAP's note on pronunciation. Here is an article on the "Short History of Latin Pronunciation" from one of the MP people.

How would I go about adding in games? Are there suggestions in the TM or on the website?

For a 4th grader, I would use Latina Christiana. You can just stay a week ahead and be just fine. I highly recommend using First Form Latin to teach yourself if you are interested in learning yourself!

I had thought of this, but really want a gentle approach and this is recommended by SWB, plus I also will have a 2nd grader and she may benefit from Prima Latina as well.

What would be youru reasoning for starting with LC instead?

How would I go about adding in games? Are there suggestions in the TM or on the website?

When we need a break, I just add these in myself. We've played memory (two sets of phonogram cards or make your own), jeopardy, and a string-it-in-your-memory game. You have to make up your own games. (There are online games for some of the words.)

The string-it-in-your-memory game is where I say the word in Latin & show them the flashcard. Then, I say it in Latin & its English meaning. I put the card down & they have to repeat what I said (Latin, English). Then, I put up the next card, say it in Latin & in English. Once I put it away, they have to start with the first word & go in order to the final word. It becomes really funny when you have four or five words going (Stella-star, via-road, ambulo-I walk, luna-moon, toga-toga, etc.). I alternate kids. If one messes up, I let the other one try to do that one. If they both mess up, I try to do it. The kid (or mom) who gets all of them "earns" those flashcards. We start over with the remaining words. The one with the most flashcards at the end (of time or flashcards) wins!

... We started with Prima with a 2nd & 4th grader. I didn't get the 2nd grader her own student book, so she didn't have to do any of the written exercises. She & I did them orally. My 3rd & 5th graders are doing LC 1 this year. The 5th grader is doing great. The 3rd grader is bogged down in the translations & learning the grammar, so we are going to concentrate on just the vocab for her for the rest of the year. Next year will be a review year for her using Ludere Latine . I might have her go back & redo LC 1 (possibly using the free worksheets).

We're using LFC. We do Ecclesiastical pronunciation, so we change i to j and pronounce v instead of w. It's not a big problem for us. As a bonus, there's Headventure Land for lots of online games. They also have Clash Cards, but we haven't touched ours. I have Rebecca write out her own flashcards for review.

I would use Prima Latina and your younger child can do it at the same time.

You can add games by using the headventuresland website even though it is for a different program. I printed off its coloring book and there are lots of the same vocab words in Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I and my students like them. We made notebooks with them.

There are also links on the MP site for games for LC. There might be some links for PL too. I am not sure. But MP sells some separate latin games and puzzles sets. You can also do things like play hangman with latin words and phrases.

When we need a break, I just add these in myself. We've played memory (two sets of phonogram cards or make your own), jeopardy, and a string-it-in-your-memory game. You have to make up your own games. (There are online games for some of the words.)

The string-it-in-your-memory game is where I say the word in Latin & show them the flashcard. Then, I say it in Latin & its English meaning. I put the card down & they have to repeat what I said (Latin, English). Then, I put up the next card, say it in Latin & in English. Once I put it away, they have to start with the first word & go in order to the final word. It becomes really funny when you have four or five words going (Stella-star, via-road, ambulo-I walk, luna-moon, toga-toga, etc.). I alternate kids. If one messes up, I let the other one try to do that one. If they both mess up, I try to do it. The kid (or mom) who gets all of them "earns" those flashcards. We start over with the remaining words. The one with the most flashcards at the end (of time or flashcards) wins!

... We started with Prima with a 2nd & 4th grader. I didn't get the 2nd grader her own student book, so she didn't have to do any of the written exercises. She & I did them orally. My 3rd & 5th graders are doing LC 1 this year. The 5th grader is doing great. The 3rd grader is bogged down in the translations & learning the grammar, so we are going to concentrate on just the vocab for her for the rest of the year. Next year will be a review year for her using Ludere Latine . I might have her go back & redo LC 1 (possibly using the free worksheets).

I would use Prima Latina and your younger child can do it at the same time.

You can add games by using the headventuresland website even though it is for a different program. I printed off its coloring book and there are lots of the same vocab words in Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I and my students like them. We made notebooks with them.

There are also links on the MP site for games for LC. There might be some links for PL too. I am not sure. But MP sells some separate latin games and puzzles sets. You can also do things like play hangman with latin words and phrases.

Thank you both for the advice. I am going to go with PL. I'm pretty excited about it! Now if I could just decide on LA I'd be good to go.

Like PP, I started both of mine in PL when older was 3rd and younger was 1st. I didn't get the 1st grader her own workbook either. And she kept up fine.

For 2nd and 4th grades, the 4th grader is doing LCI. The 2nd grader is doing no latin this year except listening to us practice occasionally and saying her prayers in Latin daily.

The LCI would be too much for her at this point. So next year 5th grader will move into First Form, and 3rd grader will redo Prima Latina with the workbook this time. It should be a real confidence builder for her. It should be very simple for her.