Menu

Don't buy another thing and still continue

Math would be a problem. I have us covered thru the 4th grade, but no-way thru high. I didn't save text from my older kiddos. Thankfully I did save almost all of our living books and have several unit studies. For math I could do with Strayer Uptom's next two math books for peanuts and have us covered up thru the 8th grade.

Nope, I'd be out of luck. I don't buy things waaaaay in advance because you never know what might change.

True, but I found some to hold their own over time. A newer edition might have better pictures and graphs or add in internet links but the main info is the same. I figure if you liked it when you used it for one child it should still be good for another.

We have been doing this for a loooooong time and I kept what I loved as we went along. So, yep, we are covered. My grandchildren (who are not even born yet) are covered :D

Funny, I told DH that I cannot bare to sell the MFW Adventures when we are finished and he wanted to know what will we do with it...I said the grand kids will use it (We are not even close to grand kids). So I will not only have curriculum to cover my children, but I am starting for the grand kids. I need help:tongue_smilie:

Funny, I told DH that I cannot bare to sell the MFW Adventures when we are finished and he wanted to know what will we do with it...I said the grand kids will use it (We are not even close to grand kids). So I will not only have curriculum to cover my children, but I am starting for the grand kids. I need help:tongue_smilie:

Do NOT get rid of things you have "finished". You have no idea how often you are going to want to reference those materials!

Makes perfect sense to me!:D

I have all my books from school; My mother saved them.

We save money to hedge against bad times, not home school materials.

You are one funny lady. I have been amused by this thread for some time. I have a hard time believing that if something awful happened, I would still have access to all my books (I can't see my husband agreeing to drag them behind us in a truck as we roam the country aimlessly, for example). I sure have enough novels to last me through about anything. I certainly have a sufficient number of pdf books on my computer to make me lose my mind.

I've got a lot of rice and pasta on hand, too, but I don't think it will last too long in comparison.

Eta: Maybe I could sell some of my junk to desperate hsers should bookstores vanish off the face of the earth!

Edited by stripe

You are one funny lady. I have been amused by this thread for some time. I have a hard time believing that if something awful happened, I would still have access to all my books (I can't see my husband agreeing to drag them behind us in a truck as we roam the country aimlessly, for example). I sure have enough novels to last me through about anything. I certainly have a sufficient number of pdf books on my computer to make me lose my mind.

I've got a lot of rice and pasta on hand, too, but I don't think it will last too long in comparison.

Eta: Maybe I could sell some of my junk to desperate hsers should bookstores vanish off the face of the earth!

If we had to leave home I would not take my home library, but the Apologia books, Math, and Kathryn Stout guides (about 2 boxes worth) would be lugged around. If we hit the road I could still find libraries along the way to use with the guides.

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I have a ton of homeschooling materials/curriculum. I bought some when I thought I might homeschool my boys all the way through then dd's violin teacher, also a homeschooler, gave us boxes and boxes of materials when her kids went to college. I think I have 2 bins of stuff besides everything on shelves and another bin of stuff I need to get rid of because I'll never use it.

a few years ago we evacuated for a hurricane. We have a covered trailer we loaded up with our stuff. You know what I loaded? BOXES and BOXES of books! I was taking my books, my sewing machine, my clothes, and my photographs with us.

it wasn't fun to unload all those books and put them back on the shelves when we got back home. I have way more books now than I did then so I don't think I'd pack all of them again, just my collections.:D

a few years ago we evacuated for a hurricane. We have a covered trailer we loaded up with our stuff. You know what I loaded? BOXES and BOXES of books! I was taking my books, my sewing machine, my clothes, and my photographs with us.

That's exactly it. I told my husband I'm not moving anywhere without my books. I just can't imagine that being realistic in some sort of crisis.