Menu

Shakespeare Summer

Mommy22alyns

We'll be doing a Shakespeare summer here, with the girls having just finished first and third grades. I have the Leon Garfield and Lamb books, along with William Shakespeare and the Globe, The Essential Shakespeare Handbook, and the Shakespeare activity box.

Now where do I start? What plays would be best to read? Are there any movie versions you would recommend for kids this age? :bigear:

Well, here's a site that might be helpful: Shakespeare is Elementary. It includes a list of recommended plays, and another one with supplementary materials, along with lots of cool ideas.

I have to say, their recommendation to start with A Midsummer Night's Dream makes lots of sense to me. You could also check out Jim Weiss' album, which has A Midsummer Night's Dream and Taming of the Shrew.

I can't actually think of any good Shakespeare movies appropriate to children, although you might want to check out the older movies, such as those with Laurence Olivier or Orson Welles. (The website linked above recommends some BBC Productions ones, along with Shakespeare--The Animated Tales.) I love the Henry V and Much Ado directed by Kenneth Branagh, but I don't know that they're particularly appropriate for first- and third-graders. (The links are to the parental advisory pages on IMDB. Frankly, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with my oldest son, in second grade, watching Henry V. Then again, violence doesn't seem to bother him that much, not that I let him watch it beyond Star Wars.)

I hope this helps a little.

There is a black and white version of a Midsummer Night's Dream that I remember being shown in school when I was in 5th or 6th grade.

It's from 1935 and has Mickey Rooney and Olivia De Haviland in it. I don't remember it being racy or inappropriate, so that *may* be one to look into.

The BBC has Shakespeare animated tales and some of them are available on Youtube. I haven't seen those, but again might be a place to start researching.

Also, these plans on Serendipity might help?

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/2009/07/shakespeare-fridays.html

Edited by MrsBasil

That looks so neat! Can you update us with the things you plan to do?

Sure thing!

:bigear:

... and what activity box, may I ask?

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-And-Elizabethan-Treasure-Chests/dp/0762407476/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333399778&sr=8-1

It's like the China and Ancient Egypt treasure boxes, which the girls LOVED.

There is a black and white version of a Midsummer Night's Dream that I remember being shown in school when I was in 5th or 6th grade.

It's from 1935 and has Mickey Rooney and Olivia De Haviland in it. I don't remember it being racy or inappropriate, so that *may* be one to look into.

The BBC has Shakespeare animated tales and some of them are available on Youtube. I haven't seen those, but again might be a place to start researching.

Also, these plans on Serendipity might help?

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/2009/07/shakespeare-fridays.html

This is helpful, thanks!